The Student Room Group

*MEGATHREAD* - The GEM "Am I Good Enough?" General Questions & Advice Megathread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by groovyangel2008
Just to let you know that Keele have stopped their GEM course! They only have the 5 year undergraduate course now.

Ah yeah, that does ring some bells. Pity, does anyone know of any graduate courses being CREATED in the coming years?
Original post by MattKneale
Ah yeah, that does ring some bells. Pity, does anyone know of any graduate courses being CREATED in the coming years?

I wish :tongue:
There have been a few changes to existing ones though. Oxford GEM is using the BMAT rather than UKCAT this year :frown:
Original post by Witty Username
I wish :tongue:
There have been a few changes to existing ones though. Oxford GEM is using the BMAT rather than UKCAT this year :frown:

All negative changes then? :frown: It seems a pity they don't create more opportunities for graduate entrants, particularly science graduates. Take Biomedical Science graduates, for example, we learn a lot of science relevant to medicine and it seems a pity that we can't be taken advantage of by the system. Seems like a waste of talent, but I suppose I'm just bitter and biased haha.
Reply 583
Hey, I wanna do medicine but don't have the grades so i need to go through the graduate route :L

Any advice on what degree to do first or what uni would be a good choice ??

Thanks
xx
Reply 584
Original post by looroll94
Hey, I wanna do medicine but don't have the grades so i need to go through the graduate route :L

Any advice on what degree to do first or what uni would be a good choice ??

Thanks
xx

Hi,

I suggest you take a look at our TSR Medicine Wiki, particularly the Guide to Graduate Entry Medicine.

A lot of medical schools will prefer you to do a health sciences related degree but it is not compulsory for most of them. There aren't any good or bad medical schools as they are all GMC approved. However, different medical schools have different methods of delivering the course through TBL and PBL. (look into that)

Graduate Entry medicine is an extremely competitive route to take. If you have any further questions after looking through those articles, feel free to quote me in your next post.

Hope that helps :smile:
Reply 585
Original post by Vulpes
Hi,

I suggest you take a look at our TSR Medicine Wiki, particularly the Guide to Graduate Entry Medicine.

A lot of medical schools will prefer you to do a health sciences related degree but it is not compulsory for most of them. There aren't any good or bad medical schools as they are all GMC approved. However, different medical schools have different methods of delivering the course through TBL and PBL. (look into that)

Graduate Entry medicine is an extremely competitive route to take. If you have any further questions after looking through those articles, feel free to quote me in your next post.

Hope that helps :smile:

Yeah i would deffo do a science course but there are so many to choose from :s Is there any biosciences degrees that they would prefer for grad medicine? Also would it be any easier to get into grad medicine if i did my first degree at a uni that also offers medicine ??
Reply 586
Original post by looroll94
Yeah i would deffo do a science course but there are so many to choose from :s Is there any biosciences degrees that they would prefer for grad medicine? Also would it be any easier to get into grad medicine if i did my first degree at a uni that also offers medicine ??

A lot of people would go for Biomedical Sciences although it is not a stated requirement / preference. Not necessarily, I have marked this thread for a thread move into the Medicine forum, where you should get replies from people who have successfully applied via the graduate-entry route.
All negative changes then? :frown: It seems a pity they don't create more opportunities for graduate entrants, particularly science graduates. Take Biomedical Science graduates, for example, we learn a lot of science relevant to medicine and it seems a pity that we can't be taken advantage of by the system. Seems like a waste of talent, but I suppose I'm just bitter and biased haha.

Well Warwick medical school is now open to applicants of any degree which I guess is a positive change and I heard that the Newcastle GEP course is thinking of increasing their intake number.
Original post by groovyangel2008
Well Warwick medical school is now open to applicants of any degree which I guess is a positive change and I heard that the Newcastle GEP course is thinking of increasing their intake number.

Its certainly not a positive change if you're a science graduate like me, more competition! :frown: good news about Newcastle GEM if its true though :smile:
Its certainly not a positive change if you're a science graduate like me, more competition! :frown: good news about Newcastle GEM if its true though :smile:

I wouldn't get overly excited about the increase in places for Newcastle Accelerated programme. It's only increasing from 23 to 28-30, if they're allowed to! Nothing was definite.

Ditto :frown:
Reply 591
Hey guys, I am wondering if it is a good idea to apply to just non UKCAT unis (Bristol, Liverpool and bham?) I started doing the UKCAT and tbh I am finding it quite difficult.

Since there are only 3 non UKCAT unis, Am I allowed to apply for both undergraduate and postgraduate(same UNI)?

Any help please? I will carry on practicing the UKCAT but really, I can't see myself doing really well.
Original post by select the right name
I wouldn't get overly excited about the increase in places for Newcastle Accelerated programme. It's only increasing from 23 to 28-30, if they're allowed to! Nothing was definite.

Still, better than nothing? :smile:
Original post by reee
Hey guys, I am wondering if it is a good idea to apply to just non UKCAT unis (Bristol, Liverpool and bham?) I started doing the UKCAT and tbh I am finding it quite difficult.

Since there are only 3 non UKCAT unis, Am I allowed to apply for both undergraduate and postgraduate(same UNI)?

Any help please? I will carry on practicing the UKCAT but really, I can't see myself doing really well.

The UKCAT is, in my eyes, 60% technique (knowing when to flag questions to come back to) and recognising the right signs from the questions, and then 20% knowledge and 20% luck. The knowledge comes from brushing up on your maths (try GCSE papers, BBC bitesize etc), and through reading and practicing gathering information from large chunks of text.

Then there's the luck, and it's significant because some people are naturally going to get more questions that 'click' with them, or that are easier and shorter. This is particularly important in QR & AR. If you think a question will take ages, or it's beyond you, flag it. At the end of all the easier questions you can do, come back and have another look if you have time. If you don't, guess intelligently (A,B,C,B,A,B,C etc). You'll get some right by chance.

It's do-able, hundreds of people get very good scores with not a whole lot of practice, give it a go as it'll open up your options significantly.
(edited 11 years ago)
Still, better than nothing? :smile:

Definitely :biggrin:
Reply 595
Original post by select the right name

30 cramed in that room for lectures :rofl:
Original post by Lantana
30 cramed in that room for lectures :rofl:

Yeah, that's what I thought! Should be, er......interesting!
Reply 597
Hello all,

I'm starting a degree in September (see sig). It's what I really wanted to do when leaving school and I know I'll enjoy it.

However, I'm now having thoughts about what career I'd like to have, and I know I want to be a doctor. I wanted to before but really wanted to look further into Biology first, because it really interests me and I wouldn't want to leave that behind.

After my degree, I'd prefer to go for Grad Medicine but wouldn't mind doing the long course either.

At the end of my first year, I've got the option to either continue on a Biology degree or a Biomed degree. My question is, which would be better for a Medicine application, if any?
I got the feeling when I was applying that Biomed was the second choice for those who didn't get into Medicine - which is why I didn't choose it in the beginning. However, it does seem like a relevant degree, wouldn't it give those who studied it a leg-up over those who weren't studying anything medical or is it seen as second-choice in university applications too?

Thank you for any help/advice/ideas :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 598
Hmm, good thread to keep up to date with.

Here's my background:

Way back at A-Level, school used some dodgy algorithms and predicted me something like Cs and Ds in chemistry, physics and maths (despite doing quite well at GCSE), how they managed to do that I don't know. Was advised to reconsider my HE applications...

Spent three years doing a chemistry degree. Second year rolled around and I discovered the GEM courses, prepared for 2012 application, lack of choices (specifically looking at London, picky I know but it meant I could live at home to save money) put me off.

Fast forward to my final year (where I am currently sitting my finals) and a combination of interesting biological modules and my dissertation (Ruthenium-based anticancer drugs) 'reignited' the idea of doing a graduate medical course. Found that this year, like previously mentioned, some universities have dropped their biology/bioscience degree requirement in favour of accepting applicants with degrees in other sciences. Good news!

Unfortunately the care home for people with MS that I volunteered at got taken over by a private company and while they offered to keep volunteer roles open I didn't want to volunteer for a profit-making company.

Oh and a few months back I booked a ticket to Australia, which means I'm looking at 2014 entry (hopefully).

Edit: I ended up doing well enough at A-Level but I was too excited to go to uni I decided against a gap year and then reapplying.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by canŵio
Hello all

Just do what you're interested in - it doesn't matter which course you do.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending