Is there any age restriction for apprenticeships Watch

MattyByTheSea
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
From September I will be in my second year of college even though I am 19. By the time I leave college I will be 20. After which I am interested in doing an advanced apprenticeship. Is there any maximum age that someone is able to do an apprenticeship or does it depend on the company.

Thanks
UPPSY
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I think theres a cut off point of 25 years of age
geztival
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Not sure if there's an official upper age limit. I've just finished an Admin apprenticeship and I'm 20, started when I was 19. There's also one where I work who is 22, married and has a baby. To be sure I'd check with the company you want to work for, they should be able to tell you.
Martyn*
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I'm 34 and I'm going to be doing an apprenticeship this year.
Delaney
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
It'll depend on the company as some of them will only hire you to get training money from the government. Ask each company individually
Marinated_in_Joy
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
According to a reliable source, there is no upper age limit.
TomatoKetchup
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Although there is no age limit, there is the issue of whether the government or your employer will pay for your training:
16-18: Full government funding of the cost of training.
19-24: Up to 50% government funding, so the employer will have to pay for the other half.
25+: The government isn't obliged to give the employer any help with funding, although they may supply a small contribution.
http://http://www.apprenticeships.or...he-Basics.aspx
loolabelle
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I have been turned down for 2 apprenticeships due to age -Iam 52 yet the advertisements show older people on apprenticeships so am getting increasingly frustrated and upset
OutsourceTD
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
There is no age limit for doing an Apprenticeship. It is only a matter of funding. If you are aged 24 or less you can get full funding or up to 50%.
Leeds98
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by OutsourceTD)
There is no age limit for doing an Apprenticeship. It is only a matter of funding. If you are aged 24 or less you can get full funding or up to 50%.
I heard they'd scrapped the funding age limits & the government was now funding all apprenticeships? Either way the only barrier to this is the employer, even if you are uneligable for government funding you can take an education loan to cover it if the employer is unwilling to cover it for you.

Most apprentices I've met have been in there early 20s. I was the youngest at 16 by a far distance. Tbh I'm not surprised employeers are unwilling to take on an apprentice in there 50s, they'll be making the cold calculated maths that after they've spent time and money training you your only going to have a two decades if that before you retire. If they hire an apprentice in there 20s they've potentially got an employee for a good 50 years. While it rarely ever works out like that it's still the maths there putting together.
Denise05
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
My son has just been turned down for a Aprentiship the letter said although he was a perfect candidate because he has just turned 20 the goverment has just brought a new ruling out were they will only pay upto the age of 19 this was for a bricklaying in hartlepool
Leeds98
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Denise05)
My son has just been turned down for a Aprentiship the letter said although he was a perfect candidate because he has just turned 20 the goverment has just brought a new ruling out were they will only pay upto the age of 19 this was for a bricklaying in hartlepool
They have either been misled or are providing an excuse to let your son down easy. Under the old funding guidelines the goverment would fully fund up till 19 & partially fund up to 24 yo. As far as i'm aware these have been scrapped and the goverment will fully fund all apprentices.

I suspect they are trying to take advantage of the lower minimum wage for apprentices aged 16-18. If they really was unable to fund it themselves they'd at least offer you the chance to pay for it yourself & tbh i'm pretty skeptical of any boss or company who would find the perfect apprentice and turn them away because the state refused to fund the apprenticeship. If they would turn them away i'd suggest they're using apprenticeships as goverment supported cheap labour as opposed to training skilled workers for the future.
Dulla
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Martyn*)
How did you get on with the apprenticeship and who was it with
Dulla
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Martyn*)
Hi Martyn how did you get on the apprenticeship I'm 34 as well and trying to do one
brainzistheword
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Dulla)
The user you're quoting hasn't been active for over a year. If you're looking for a topic related to apprenticeships and mature apprentices, take a look in the Apprentice forum
QA Apprenticeships
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by djsims2)
From September I will be in my second year of college even though I am 19. By the time I leave college I will be 20. After which I am interested in doing an advanced apprenticeship. Is there any maximum age that someone is able to do an apprenticeship or does it depend on the company.

Thanks
No age restriction! I did my apprenticeship when I was 22 with QA Apprenticeships, when pursuing an apprenticeship I'll recommend speaking to an apprenticeship provider so they're able to tailor your interest to the right employer.
Elizabethnim
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I am 47 years old, I am just wondering if I can do apprenticeship which they pay £18,000 a year. Working in IBM
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (484)
59.53%
Yes- I don't like it (43)
5.29%
No- I want it (232)
28.54%
No- I don't want it (54)
6.64%

Watched Threads