QE2 and deleveraging Watch

This discussion is closed.
Markleberry
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
So I just saw a very interesting comment here and I'm wondering what you lot think of it.

I myself would be too worried about perverse incentives, so I wouldn't go so far, and I certainly don't agree with writing down mortgage debt right now (maybe in a double-dip) but using it to bring down interest rates seems fine by me.

Discuss.
Quady
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Why would any bank want to do that?

Especially publicly owned ones which would face a multi billion write down

Markleberry
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by Quady)
Why would any bank want to do that?

Especially publicly owned ones which would face a multi billion write down

I was focusing more on the fact that the QE spending could be used to create a personal debt holiday without any damage to the private banks, not the idiocy about writing it off.
creak
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
But doesn't Osborne's whole growth strategy (as much as you can call it that) rely on the public taking on ever-increasing amounts of debt?

http://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/201...gman&seid=auto
D.R.E
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
In 2011, it still surprises me that people pay attention to anything Ed Balls and particularly Paul Krugman have to say.
turn and fall
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Good lord the comments and posts are just ridiculous.

All of them centre around the idea of getting the economy going. NO. We need to let the economy recover. If I hear another politician/academic talk about how to

KICK START THE ECONOMY

I am going to throw something at them.

The economy is not a car.
MagicNMedicine
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by creak)
But doesn't Osborne's whole growth strategy (as much as you can call it that) rely on the public taking on ever-increasing amounts of debt?

http://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/201...gman&seid=auto
Yes and this is why you will notice Osborne and the Tories have gone quiet on the issue of "Britain being the most indebted society..." which was a big theme of theirs during 2009 and 2010. They were constantly saying that Labour had made Britain a nation of borrowers, in fact I remember Cameron saying in the 2009 Tory Party Conference that he wanted a Tory government to make Britain a nation "built on saving not borrowing".

What the OBR has now told them is that as part of their strategy for reducing government debt, we will see a huge increase in household debt - of course this may be easier to sell later on as they can attack households for 'reckless borrowing'.

But have no doubt about this - Britain's households will be far more indebted after 5 years of Tory government than they were under the Labour government, and Osborne knows this, which is why they have stopped criticising Labour for it.
Aphotic Cosmos
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Sorry, we don't own the QE2 any more.

Tawheed
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
QE2
RichPiana
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by Tawheed)
QE2
This thread is 7 years old...
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (93)
16.61%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (58)
10.36%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (99)
17.68%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (84)
15%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (56)
10%
How can I be the best version of myself? (170)
30.36%

Watched Threads