The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by U.S Lecce
Man you are too funny! :rofl:

i take it you are an american victim of forced busing?
Reply 21
Original post by bob247
They're all ****ing white, does it matter? I can't honestly tell the difference.

It's like arabs and kurds, wtf? They both look exactly the same. Some only differentiate in language and a lot of them, not even that

Err no?

First of all Kurdish is an Indo-European language while Arabic is Semitic. Arabs are very diverse mostly becuase Arabic is a language classification and has nothing to do with race, I mean there are African Arabs while that look nothing like Iraqi or Syrian Arabs. And finally, no Arabs and Kurds for the most part don't look the same.

To the OP, I read somewhere that British people were originally Mesopotamian farmers, well homo-sapian migration started from Africa, so....
Reply 22
British people are British race, it is a mix of most/all of them so its impossible to say one of them.
Reply 23
Original post by humanrights
i take it you are an american victim of forced busing?

Nope.
Is the obvious answer not caucasian?

Edit: urban dictionary says not. I do like number 5 though.
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=caucasian
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 25
Original post by morecambebay
Is the obvious answer not caucasian?

Edit: urban dictionary says not. I do like number 5 though.
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=caucasian

no, because white arabs exist too

there are also white skinned morrocans, algerians, but their DNA is not european
We're caucasian-same as a hell of a lot of other people. Its all too mixed up to try and specificy anything else.

Look at me-I'd say I'm a fairly average white Brition and yet:

My grandpa's side can be trace back to Normandy pre-1066 (he came over in the conquest)
My grandma can be taken back to France in the 1600's
My Grandad roots are in Italy in the 1800's
My Grandma's grandmother is chinese.

I also have Irish, Scottish, American DNA along with a fair helping on Chinese, British and French. What am I?

The answer is, of course, British just like everyone else who is born here no matter what their ethnic background is.
Reply 27
Original post by calkin700

there are also white skinned morrocans, algerians, but their DNA is not european

:facepalm:
Reply 28

Say what?

Real Arabs are the ones in Suadia Arabia, the rest are mixed and assimilated locals. Arab is a language classification, not a racial or genetic one.
Original post by hatemylife
Not sure about Cornish, but they had their own language, Cornish, up until the 18th Century when the last person who spoke it died. Not sure if they are racially different though.

Interestingly, cornish people who can trace their geneology back far, generally have a higher proportion of genes from the middle east! Historically there was a lot of metal trade between cornwall and phonecia/other kingdoms and so it was quite common for inter-breeding to take place. Although its becoming less common, quite a lot of people in cornwall have a darker skin tone to most "white" people in the UK (similar to the spanish in respect to genes from the moors).

Cornwall (and large parts of devon) were left relatively untouched by the roman conquest, which introduced more genetic diversity to parts of britain. The cornish language was, at one point, almost identical to the celtic language spoken in brittany in france and there were strong cultural relations (same saints etc).

I think generally this is a discussion more on cultural identity than race though. The term "race" doesn't really apply to modern day humans beyond a cosmetic and cultural level.
white people are white. they have union. racists who who deny white people group solidarity are either jew or self haters. either way. how dare you racists tell white people to feel guilty for white solidarity!!!!!
Reply 31
Original post by alanr
Say what?

Real Arabs are the ones in Suadia Arabia, the rest are mixed and assimilated locals. Arab is a language classification, not a racial or genetic one.

well, what are they classififed as genetically ? semites ?
white people are white. they have union. racists who who deny white people group solidarity are either jew or self haters. either way. how dare you racists tell white people to feel guilty for white solidarity!!!!!

Why should I be more proud of my race than hair colour, or shoe size, when not a single one actually affects me in any way?

Can you name a single, truly successful person who fixates or primarily identifies by their race?
Reply 33
well, what are they classififed as genetically ? semites ?

Well in Iraq for example the Arabs showed 28% J2 (Mesopotamian native to Iraq) which is Semite yes, but not Arab.

The middle east was not mostly Arabic like it is today, these people were assimilated by the Arab invasion, likewise before that the local middle eastern people were assimilated due to the European invasion, Kurds are an example of that.
Original post by ForeverIsMyName
Why should I be more proud of my race than hair colour, or shoe size, when not a single one actually affects me in any way?

Can you name a single, truly successful person who fixates or primarily identifies by their race?

humans are like all other species. breed exists.
Reply 35
A lot of ignorance in this thread. I think some people are in real need of a biology lesson. Here are two links to race and skin colour. I suggest you read and educate yourself.

I'm off to bed.
Are we Anglo Saxon ?
Roman ?
Celtic ?
Norman ?
Aryan/Nordic ?

Or is each race concentrated in different areas , like Cornwall , Norfolk etc who are different racially ?

These aren't races. They're ethnic backgrounds. You're confusing the two terms. We are 'the human race'. That's not soft-hearted Liberalism either. Biologically, our race is Homo Sapiens Sapiens anyway. If you want to know the ethnic origin of English people, it does largely vary by region. Prehistorically, it was impossible for some pockets of England to be inhabited but it depends when you want this classification to be given. The first 'English settlers' are possibly a mixture of Neanderthals and modern humans, providing they interbred. If modern man arrived in Europe and Neanderthals were completely wiped out by this point, there's virtually no difference between humans from Africa right across Europe because there was a fairly quick spread of humans and England at this point was still attached to Europe. No significant cultures had emerged either so there was virtually no 'ethnic' classification to be made. After that, we're a mixture of immigrants who visited/invaded/conquered the country since.
Reply 37
humans are like all other species. breed exists.

No they don't. All humans are homo sapiens sapiens, we are the exact same species. Ethnicity is a vastly complex thing which is not defined through skin colour alone. Infact all skin colour indicates is the amount of melanin in your skin. I suggest you read the links I posted in post #36.
Reply 38
would you say all cats are the same ?? No there are different breeds etc ,

I am not against white solidarity, we should unite as whites, from Slavs to Anglo Saxons and all between.

your cat analogy is truly pathetic
Reply 39
would you say all cats are the same ?? No there are different breeds etc ,

[INDENT]Since humans are already speculated to share 95% of our genepool with some apes (off the top of my head), the particular genes that distignuish us as homo sapiens constitute 5% (perhaps less).
Probably the smallest fraction imaginable of one percent of our DNA is unique to what you call your 'race.'

Cats and dogs are categorized (or taxonomized) by physical shape and appearance but not by genetic material. If you wanted to categorise humans into breeds we would all be the same breed. This is due to an astounding lack of variation among humans. For instance take differences in physical size. Wolfhounds and terriers translated into human racial categories would be like having a race of giants (wolfs) and a race of midgets (terriers.) Needless to say we have nowhere near that extent of genetic variation (modern humans appeared just ~100,000 years ago in Africa which is an eyeblink in evolutionary terms.) If you were to insist on using the crude analogy of breeds: humans are all the same breed of ape, we come in a small blend of colours. The nearest breed to our category would be something like the oragatang.[/INDENT]
(edited 12 years ago)