The Student Room Group

Recruitment agencies asking for copy of your passport

Scroll to see replies

Can anyone help me? I have been asked not just to upload passport but also degree, teaching qualification and marriage certificate for securing interview for teaching post in UAE. Passport alone I could perhaps understand but I don't like that they will have all of my professional qualification details and personal info before being offered a job. Am I over thinking?
Original post by didi1866
Can anyone help me? I have been asked not just to upload passport but also degree, teaching qualification and marriage certificate for securing interview for teaching post in UAE. Passport alone I could perhaps understand but I don't like that they will have all of my professional qualification details and personal info before being offered a job. Am I over thinking?

Over-thinking. Entirely standard for teaching, apart from the marriage certificate, I suppose that's a UAE specific requirement.

Offering a job, even if verbal, creates a legal relationship as soon as you accept. No-one is going to want to do that without knowing that you are a legit teacher. Say you weren't and were an unpleasant person seeking access to children... the reputational fallout would be disastrous.
(edited 4 years ago)
Thanks you for reply.
As well as a passport do you ask for bank details?
Original post by Lell
Yes I did comply - it's a legal requirement so if you want work you're going to have to do it! What do you think they are going to do with a photocopy of your passport?

Screen out older candidates, I'm 55 but can pass for ~38 , I won't get the job if they find out I'm 55 ... is this not obvious??
I'm guessing you're not experienced in the ways of the world
Original post by Delaney
There's nothing on your passport that once you turn 18 isn't freely available through public records.

Screen out older candidates, I'm 55 but can pass for ~38 , I won't get the job if they find out I'm 55 ... is this not obvious??

I'm guessing you're not experienced in the ways of the world
Reply 26
But some agents are asking for copies of several forms of I.D before you have even had contact from the prospective employer or had an interview. They don't explain how your information will be stored, for how long it will be kept and who they may want to share it with.

They just phone you up: you don't actually know who they really are!
Could anyone help me? I'm applying for Hap Solutions Group and they're asking for me to upload my passport ("PNG or JPEG format only"). I'm assuming they want a photo of the main 2 pages but I'm just wary cause I don't know the group that well and I don't remember having to do this before.
Original post by PinkLadyApples
Could anyone help me? I'm applying for Hap Solutions Group and they're asking for me to upload my passport ("PNG or JPEG format only"). I'm assuming they want a photo of the main 2 pages but I'm just wary cause I don't know the group that well and I don't remember having to do this before.

Any employer is legally obliged to hold evidence that every employee has the right to work in the UK. The most straightforward way to do that is to hold a picture of a qualifying passport. If you want a legal job in the UK, you have to get used to this request and comply with it.
Original post by threeportdrift
Any employer is legally obliged to hold evidence that every employee has the right to work in the UK. The most straightforward way to do that is to hold a picture of a qualifying passport. If you want a legal job in the UK, you have to get used to this request and comply with it.

No I meant I don't remember ever just submitting a photo of my passport online before but I have used it for previous employers but I think they just scanned it
Original post by PinkLadyApples
No I meant I don't remember ever just submitting a photo of my passport online before but I have used it for previous employers but I think they just scanned it

Well they can scan it if the meeting is face-to-face, but if say the interviews are carried out over Zoom, then the evidence will have to be sent electronically.
Original post by threeportdrift
Well they can scan it if the meeting is face-to-face, but if say the interviews are carried out over Zoom, then the evidence will have to be sent electronically.

Thanks for weighing in! I checked with a friend too so I feel much better about sending in my passport photo now !
Original post by Delaney
There's nothing on your passport that once you turn 18 isn't freely available through public records.

passport number
Reply 33
Original post by Lell
Yes I did comply - it's a legal requirement so if you want work you're going to have to do it! What do you think they are going to do with a photocopy of your passport?

They could set up online accounts which requires you to upload documents and use it to scam others
Reply 34
Original post by didi1866

Sometimes some of these Agencies are bogus scam centres using legitimate Company names to do their fraud. Click on the Email and check it to ensure the complete email (not just name or logo) correspond with the actual email of the Agency listed online. Avid free emails such as gmails.
A friend desperate for a job fell for one of these where was supposed to be UBS. It turned out to be a scam centre in Indian which redirected him to a so called legal service to get scammed

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending