The Student Room Group

Almost refused service in a shop! Legal Advice Reqd.

I was out on my motorcycle today when I decided to pop into my local corner shop on the way home for a chocolate bar. I was still wearing my helmet when I got to the till when the cashier said:

"I'm not supposed to serve you when you're wearing that helmet"

To which I replied:

"Really? I've never had a problem anyway else, even in petrol stations"

She then went on to claim they are even more strict in petrol stations. She also said it's a rule everywhere to not serve people with heads covered with a helmet.

I don't think this is correct, can anybody clarify? I'm sure we can cover our faces with whatever we want in this country and still be served in shops. What if I decided I was a muslim woman for example?
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Its their shop, their rules. They can serve whoever they want as long as they do not discriminate against a certain class of people.
She thought you were going to batter her and take her monies with your head well-protected. Not much a burkha can help with. Anyway poster above is correct.

Negger: explain yourself! I'm intrigued...
(edited 12 years ago)
The shop can serve whoever they want to so if they have made a rule of not serving anyone wearing a motorcycle helmet, they're perfectly entitled to do so. I think they can only not refuse to serve if their reason is based on a form of discrimination. I don't think motorcycle helmets fall into this.
Them's the rules, kid. All the petrol stations I've seen have that policy, some even have signs outside saying so.
I can imagine it must be very intimidating for the shop staff if/when people come in wear motorbike helmets.

Even if there isn't a specific rule about it, surely it's just common courtesy to take it off? Why make such a big deal about it?
Reply 6
Original post by Llamaman
Its their shop, their rules. They can serve whoever they want as long as they do not discriminate against a certain class of people.

More to the point is that she said it's a rule (possibly said law) everywhere. I don't care if it's her rule, if so i'll just go elsewhere next time. There was no sign saying her rule/law.
Reply 7
Original post by Sakura-Chan
I can imagine it must be very intimidating for the shop staff if/when people come in wear motorbike helmets.

Even if there isn't a specific rule about it, surely it's just common courtesy to take it off? Why make such a big deal about it?

Becuase I wear glasses and it's unnecessary effort. I think I can dress however I want. I may be intimidated by very muscular men with angry faces when behind the till, can I tell them to lose muscle or look happier?

I am simply asking if a law exists against this, if the woman has a problem and wants to make it a rule of her shop, that's not a problem.
Original post by Sammydemon
More to the point is that she said it's a rule (possibly said law) everywhere. I don't care if it's her rule, if so i'll just go elsewhere next time. There was no sign saying her rule/law.

Doesn't actually matter if there is no sign. When you buy something in a shop, you make the offer to buy. The cashier is entitled to refuse the offer on any basis whatsoever, subject to equality laws essentially. Heck, they could refuse because they don't like the shape of your nose (extremely unlikely and boss would be unimpressed but theoretically possible)
Reply 9
Legal advice? What, are you planning to sue them? This isn't America.

Just take your helmet off next time.
Reply 10
Original post by HJV
Legal advice? What, are you planning to sue them? This isn't America.

Just take your helmet off next time.

How clear do I have to make my question? Is there a law against wearing helmets in shops? Yes or no? It's just a question.
When I used to work at Greggs we weren't supposed to serve anyone with a motorbike helmet on, and at the local branch of Natwest, where we had to do the banking, they had signs up asking people to remove them. I think it's a security issue - you could hold the shop/bank up using the helmet to cover your face so you don't get recognised on CCTV or by onlookers. I don't think there's a law against wearing helmets in shops/banks etc., but many places do ban it individually.
(edited 12 years ago)
It's not because it's their shop and they're entitled to refuse service to anyone for any reason, they aren't. If a shop refused to serve someone because of the shape of their nose like someone suggested you would have a case for a discrimination suit, that's like if they wouldn't serve you because you were disabled or something :rolleye: It's because if you have your helmet on, the CCTV can't see your face. Then if she serves you she has to open the till, and once she opens the till you could pull out a piece or whatever or just grab the cash and run.

EDIT: ^^ yeah what that guy said
I was out on my motorcycle today when I decided to pop into my local corner shop on the way home for a chocolate bar. I was still wearing my helmet when I got to the till when the cashier said:

To which I replied:

She then went on to claim they are even more strict in petrol stations. She also said it's a rule everywhere to not serve people with heads covered with a helmet.

I don't think this is correct, can anybody clarify? I'm sure we can cover our faces with whatever we want in this country and still be served in shops. What if I decided I was a muslim woman for example?

Such a problem taking your helmet off? And comparing it to what muslim women wear is just ridiculous, as it's a completely different situation. You can't really be that stupid - it's called store policy, plus CCTV would be useless if they let people wear helmets. As someone pointed out, it's their shop, their rules.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 14
No there is not a law against it.

But it's her shop so she is entitled to refuse to accept your offer to buy her stuff for whatever reason she pleases, provided that reason is not an unlawful reason. Her dislike of motorcycle helmets is not an unlawful reason.
Reply 15

I don't even use a motorcycle but I thought it was a pretty standard thing that everybody knew. You always see signs in banks etc :s-smilie:
I'm a lawyer and I think you should STFU
How clear do I have to make my question? Is there a law against wearing helmets in shops? Yes or no? It's just a question.

Yes, but the law isn't as simplified as you are making out. The cashier can refuse to serve anyone on any grounds in any shop nationwide.
Reply 18

Is there a law for being polite? No there isn't, you are legally allowed to walk into the shop, fart out loudly and proceed to call the sales assistant a ****, and then dig some snot out of your nose.

You're not breaking the law, but they will probably refuse to serve you.

To which I replied:

Who walks into a shop with their helmet on? As soon as I stop I take my helmet off, of course the guy should be concerned.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending