kmcbabix
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Hi, I was wondering if anyone knew how I can see the reference my referee wrote for me on ucas as I still haven't seen it : x
kimprovising
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 10 years ago
You don't.
Leon Trotsky
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by kimprovising)
You don't.
So unhelpful. H&R ban and ten warning points tbh.
Smitherers
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
You can do it, but you need to make a SAR (Subject Access Request) under the Data Protection Act. I think UCAS charges an administration fee for this, around £10, which they are entitled to do so.

There's plenty of boilerplate SAR letters you can use online if you don't know how to write one yourself.

Edit: Btw if you ask your reference nicely they may just show it to you - much easier/cheaper
mabrookes
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Smitherers)
You can do it, but you need to make a SAR (Subject Access Request) under the Data Protection Act. I think UCAS charges an administration fee for this, around £10, which they are entitled to do so.

There's plenty of boilerplate SAR letters you can use online if you don't know how to write one yourself.

Edit: Btw if you ask your reference nicely they may just show it to you - much easier/cheaper
The person who gave the reference never has to give it or be forced to with data protection, they can choose to show it though.
It is also not guaranteed they will be successful with a SAR to UCAS, they have to consider various factors.
Smitherers
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by mabrookes)
The person who gave the reference never has to give it or be forced to with data protection, they can choose to show it though.
It is also not guaranteed they will be successful with a SAR to UCAS, they have to consider various factors.
Wrong. The Data Protection Act gives individuals a right of access to information about themselves. A reference would be covered by a SAR to UCAS since it is data about the individual, regardless of whether it was written by the individual or not.

From personal experience with dealing with UCAS, I know they do reveal references with a SAR.
mabrookes
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
Wrong. The Data Protection Act gives individuals a right of access to information about themselves. A reference would be covered by a SAR to UCAS since it is data about the individual, regardless of whether it was written by the individual or not.

From personal experience with dealing with UCAS, I know they do reveal references with a SAR.
You really shouldn't say "wrong" to someone when you don't know everything.

Here is some guidance from the information commissioners office on references and the data protection act http://www.ico.gov.uk/upload/documen...v1.0_final.pdf

In regards to the person who wrote the reference;

"If someone asks for a copy of a confidential reference you have written about them relating to training, employment or providing a service, you do not have to provide it because of an exemption in the Act"

so I am not "wrong" at all.

As for UCAS;

"References received from another person or organisation are not treated in the same way. If you hold the reference in a way that means it is covered by the Act, you must consider a request for a copy under the normal rules of access. An individual can have access to information which is about them, but may not necessarily have access to information about other people, including their opinion, provided in confidence."

Note the word "consider", not "have to without question". And you don't necessarily have a right to their opinion provided in confidence. It goes on to say the specifics of what needs to be considered. (It also says if they are holding it in a way that means it is covered, you also have to consider that)

Like I said it does not guarantee it, or all of it even if they do decide to release it. It may be likely for most students, but not guaranteed.

So, why am I wrong?
Smitherers
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
"References received from another person or organisation are not treated in the same way. If you hold the reference in a way that means it is covered by the Act, you must consider a request for a copy under the normal rules of access. An individual can have access to information which is about them, but may not necessarily have access to information about other people, including their opinion, provided in confidence."

Note the word "consider", not "have to without question". And you don't necessarily have a right to their opinion provided in confidence. It goes on to say the specifics of what needs to be considered. (It also says if they are holding it in a way that means it is covered, you also have to consider that)

Like I said it does not guarantee it, or all of it even if they do decide to release it. It may be likely for most students, but not guaranteed.
I wasn't referring to SAR requests made to the referee - if they were an individual the Data Protection Act would not even cover them anyway.

UCAS warn referees that the reference will be revealed if the applicant makes a SAR. Therefore the reference was not provided in confidence so UCAS would be unable to claim confidentially as an reason for exemption from the act.

The bottom line stands; UCAS do reveal references in SAR. The SAR request process is automated and the reference is included as part of its output.

As for the neg, the quote button lies unfortunately close to the quote one. Sorry about that.
mabrookes
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
I wasn't referring to SAR requests made to the referee - if they were an individual the Data Protection Act would not even cover them anyway.

UCAS warn referees that the reference will be revealed if the applicant makes a SAR. Therefore the reference was not provided in confidence so UCAS would be unable to claim confidentially as an reason for exemption from the act.

The bottom line stands; UCAS do reveal references in SAR. The SAR request process is automated and the reference is included as part of its output.

As for the neg, the quote button lies unfortunately close to the quote one. Sorry about that.
The individual is seen as giving the information as part of the organisation (college or sixth form etc), so it is the exemption that stops it, not that.

And anyone giving the reference would have right to mark it as confidential, it would be up to UCAS to use it or not. And where does it specifically say the reference is not confidential? If it does say that it seems odd that so many teachers would bother to refuse to allow students to read it. But like I said they can still mark anything they want as confidential.
Smitherers
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
The individual is seen as giving the information as part of the organisation (college or sixth form etc), so it is the exemption that stops it, not that.

And anyone giving the reference would have right to mark it as confidential, it would be up to UCAS to use it or not. And where does it specifically say the reference is not confidential? If it does say that it seems odd that so many teachers would bother to refuse to allow students to read it. But like I said they can still mark anything they want as confidential.
A referee does not have to be part of a college or 6th form - it could just be an individual with no links to an organisation which would therefore exempt them from the Data Protection Act.

UCAS has a note in the stage where the referee enters the reference, warning them that the applicant can request to see the reference. Though I'm not sure most teachers would remember it and would probably assume that they couldn't/wouldn't bother with an SAR.
kimprovising
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Addzter)
So unhelpful. H&R ban and ten warning points tbh.
ERM HOW. My answer was the most helpful. Short and straight to the point.
None of this data protection act, ect etc. :hand: :smug:
Leon Trotsky
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
ERM HOW. My answer was the most helpful. Short and straight to the point.
None of this data protection act, ect etc. :hand: :smug:
12 warning points and a shoutbox ban for answering back.
kimprovising
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
12 warning points and a shoutbox ban for answering back.
:perv:
Like to see you try.

Mod wannabe :mmm:
Leon Trotsky
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
:perv:
Like to see you try.

Mod wannabe :mmm:
Me and Democracy go way back. I'll be like " eyy Democco, ban that Kimprovising lass for me would ya" and he'd be like "sure Addz, anything for you! :adore:"
kimprovising
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
Me and Democracy go way back. I'll be like " eyy Democco, ban that Kimprovising lass for me would ya" and he'd be like "sure Addz, anything for you! :adore:"
HO HO
Thats not what Democracy said to me last night :perv:
Leon Trotsky
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
HO HO
Thats not what Democracy said to me last night :perv:
Urgh thats mingin
Leon Trotsky
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
...:confused:
What? I was talking about an innocent little conversation we had...
You dirteh boi.
That's what I was saying was mingin. What did you think I was talking about?
kimprovising
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
That's what I was saying was mingin. What did you think I was talking about?
Nothing. :nothing:
coleee
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
I persuaded my teacher to show me mine...
Crazee'
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
Just ask your teacher; much easier, quicker and cheaper
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (8)
10%
Okay (26)
32.5%
A bit lacking (22)
27.5%
Not good at all (24)
30%

Watched Threads