Shaad
Badges: 2
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
What's the easier subject? I've taken Physics HL and I want to focus mainly on that, so I need to know which one is easier when it come to English and Chemistry. I got 85% in Chemistry in IGCSE and 78% in English in IGCSE.

In other words, which combination is easier?

English HL & Chemistry SL

Or

English SL & Chemistry HL
The Man of the Hour
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I took English HL and Chemistry SL. Chemistry is one of the hardest SLs you can take (in my opinion), simply because of the conceptual skills learned in a short period of time. English HL is a breeze provided you write clearly, with a strong thesis statement and analyze the text well from all different angles (tone, mood, diction, etc. and what it does to the text). It's very hard to get a 7 in HL English, however; it's even harder to get a 7 in SL English statistically.

It does sound like you're much better at chemistry than English, based on your current marks. Perhaps consider taking English HL (because you'll have lots of time to practice and maximize your grade-- beware IOC, the main challenge that could prevent you from a 7) and Chemistry SL (because it is hard and you seem good at it, so I think you'll get a good mark if you do most of the recent exams in advance of the final IB one). I did Physics HL as well with that combo, and while it took out of my time and energy for a while, it is 100% manageable. The hard part is balancing the sciences and not burning yourself out during exam week (but that's a story for another day). If you need any advice, feel free to PM.
Shaad
(Original post by The Man of the Hour)
I took English HL and Chemistry SL. Chemistry is one of the hardest SLs you can take (in my opinion), simply because of the conceptual skills learned in a short period of time. English HL is a breeze provided you write clearly, with a strong thesis statement and analyze the text well from all different angles (tone, mood, diction, etc. and what it does to the text). It's very hard to get a 7 in HL English, however; it's even harder to get a 7 in SL English statistically.

It does sound like you're much better at chemistry than English, based on your current marks. Perhaps consider taking English HL (because you'll have lots of time to practice and maximize your grade-- beware IOC, the main challenge that could prevent you from a 7) and Chemistry SL (because it is hard and you seem good at it, so I think you'll get a good mark if you do most of the recent exams in advance of the final IB one). I did Physics HL as well with that combo, and while it took out of my time and energy for a while, it is 100% manageable. The hard part is balancing the sciences and not burning yourself out during exam week (but that's a story for another day). If you need any advice, feel free to PM.
Thanks a bunch for such an informative answer! I've heard that there's not a big difference between English hl and sl. Is that true? Any insight on how significant the difference is between chemistrý hl and sl?
The Man of the Hour
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Shaad)
Thanks a bunch for such an informative answer! I've heard that there's not a big difference between English hl and sl. Is that true? Any insight on how significant the difference is between chemistrý hl and sl?
I'm not an expert on the differences, but I'll tell you what I think. English HL requires just a bit more writing and reading and a little more insight and knowledge about literary devices are needed; English SL is ultimately designed for students who may not have English as a first language or who may not need it for their future plans, so obviously you'll need less knowledge of the literary devices. You'll need to write a second World Lit paper in HL, and knowledge of literary devices/level of analysis will have to be higher. Someone else, feel free to add onto this.

As for Chem HL and SL...There isn't much of a difference for the options at all. I did Drugs and Medicine, and Biochemistry, and the HLs didn't learn too much more than I did. If you have the Neuss study guide, it is quite helpful. There are lots of things that the SLs don't learn in terms of advanced bonding, advanced organic chemistry, etc., but the smaller amount of teaching time doesn't help the SL student. The HLs are expected to have far better calculation and conceptual skills; the SLs are STILL expected to be able to have high application skills with the knowledge they have of chemistry. For me, sciences are easier if you take them for longer; if possible, take your hardest science at HL. I don't think I was particularly helpful here; like I said, I'm not an expert and someone else may be able to help you a little more.
Shaad
I want to go into the Computer Science stream and to be frank with you, neither Chemistry HL nor English HL will help me in the future. Therefore, which one do you suggest I take if I want to simply get a higher number of total points.
Kyle Butler
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Well I think that even for Computer Science they would still prefer if you had science at HL. The thing about A1 language (in my opinion) is that there's not such a heavy workload throughout the course but at the end it's still hard to get a good grade. So if you're good at Chemistry you'll be more likely to get a 7, but you will have to spend more time studying. Also, Chemistry HL is one of those subject where the difference between HL and SL is really big and there's much more content you will have to study. Personally, I didn't even study Chemistry before I took it in IB and I think it's one of my best subjects, unlike language A1 HL. But on the other hand I spend much more time studying Chemistry than I do with English. So it's up to you. For many universities, HLs are the subjects that matter and many require specifically how many HL points do you need, so you should try to pick a HL where you can achieve better points.
Shaad
I'm already taking Physics HL so I personally don't think taking another Science at HL will be useful. Anyways, if I do take English Hl, I'm going to also take Chemistry Sl. Therefore, If I get a 7 in Chemistry SL and a 5 in English HL, isn't it better than a 5 in Chemistry HL and a 6 in English SL? (Since there's not a huge difference between English HL and SL)
runby
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Shaad)
I'm already taking Physics HL so I personally don't think taking another Science at HL will be useful. Anyways, if I do take English Hl, I'm going to also take Chemistry Sl. Therefore, If I get a 7 in Chemistry SL and a 5 in English HL, isn't it better than a 5 in Chemistry HL and a 6 in English SL? (Since there's not a huge difference between English HL and SL)
Yes.
sounds like a good plan to me.
morassfatuous03
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hey guys!I am planning to do aeronautical engineering at the universities. For that, chemistry is not mandatory yet, desired. But I am taking Chemistry in IB. But, I need to choose between chemistry hl and sl. I am not a native english speaker, so I am not confident about taking English Language and Literature HL. However, I also dont want to take Chemistry HL, as I am already taking harder subjects like Maths HL and Physics HL.So which one should I take, chemistry hl or english hl? Which one is supposedly harder?PLease help!!!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (35)
15.35%
I'm not sure (8)
3.51%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (84)
36.84%
I have already dropped out (4)
1.75%
I'm not a current university student (97)
42.54%

Watched Threads