The Student Room Group

Newcastle Medical School 2012 Entry Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by islanders
Hey all,

When applying to both Newcastle & Durham through UCAS, I noticed that when selecting Newcastle, it gives the choice of both campuses (and nothing when selecting Durham)

Am I right in thinking, I have to select Newcastle twice on my application, and choose each campus individually?

That was the case for me - essentially two Newcastle applications marked N and D respectively. :smile:
Original post by Jack.O
That was the case for me - essentially two Newcastle applications marked N and D respectively. :smile:

Thank you!
Reply 122
Hey guys, do you know what the ukcat cut off was last year? and/or what it is likely to be this year? thanks

also, do they offer interviews purely on a ukcat cutoff basis?
As far as I'm aware, yes, their interviews are based purely on UKCAT cut off basis.

Rumour has it, cut off will be between 670-700 this year. Nothing concrete however.
Reply 124
I have a UKCAT of 687.5, but I have done some rowing in the past, and i know Newcastle is big on rowing, will that help at all? Or would it only if I was like England level or something?
Reply 125
Original post by InkyOne
I have a UKCAT of 687.5, but I have done some rowing in the past, and i know Newcastle is big on rowing, will that help at all? Or would it only if I was like England level or something?

Oxford is big on rowing too. Do you think you'd get in based on that?
Reply 126
Does anyone know when roughly Newcastle give out interviews?
Anyone else applying to both Newcastle & Durham?
Reply 128
Original post by islanders
Anyone else applying to both Newcastle & Durham?

I've only just considered that option earlier today, and it's been playing on my mind. I don't think I will in the end because to me it seems risky applying to two places who have the same admissions policy. Do you think there are any benefits?
Original post by Erotas
I've only just considered that option earlier today, and it's been playing on my mind. I don't think I will in the end because to me it seems risky applying to two places who have the same admissions policy. Do you think there are any benefits?

Well, I think I'm safe with my UKCAT for two interviews. I'm hoping that I'll do OK in them - if I do happen to completely cock one up, I'll have the other to do well in. I figure it's a bit safer than applying elsewhere and perhaps not getting an interview...

Oh, I don't know. I'm very confused, and my UCAS has to be submitted by Sunday!
(edited 12 years ago)
Hey guys, few questions regarding admissions process:
Is the personal statement never assessed? and just used as part of the interview?
As long as you meet minimum academics, they are no longer used for anything else?
And whats your opinion on a UKCAT of 717.5, safe right?

Thank you :smile:
Reply 131
Is it safe to apply to Newcastle with a UKCAT Score of 657? Most people seem to have higher scores than that :frown:
Reply 132
Original post by platty1907
Hey guys, few questions regarding admissions process:
Is the personal statement never assessed? and just used as part of the interview?
As long as you meet minimum academics, they are no longer used for anything else?
And whats your opinion on a UKCAT of 717.5, safe right?

Thank you :smile:

They said at the open day the PS was used in interview only, and not used in admission process. :eek:
Original post by JessBess
They said at the open day the PS was used in interview only, and not used in admission process. :eek:

You'd imagine that the majority of interview questions will relate to things on the statement then seeing as it's used for nothing else, in reality the only thing they actually assess you on is the interview! Talk about pressure! :s-smilie:
Reply 134
Original post by pdk
Is it safe to apply to Newcastle with a UKCAT Score of 657? Most people seem to have higher scores than that :frown:

It's probably not, sorry. I have 675 and I don't think I can even get past the cut off.
Last years cut off was 667.5 (although some say it was 675, I just hope its the former :colone:) and it probably is set to increase this year.
Reply 135
Is anyone going to the open day on saturday? :smile:
Reply 136
Original post by twelve
Is anyone going to the open day on saturday? :smile:

Yup! I'm really looking forward to it at the moment :biggrin:
Reply 137
Original post by RO'Gara
Yup! I'm really looking forward to it at the moment :biggrin:

I know me too haha. Just printing off all my maps and booked train tickets and everything now :smile:
Reply 138
does anyone know if the individual unit scores matter? i got 590 in one (due to disturbances i put a complaint in) but my average was 700, i want to apply here.
But I'm a reapplicant and don't know if it's worth the risk?

some give me some much needed advice please
Reply 139
Original post by Seb
It's probably not, sorry. I have 675 and I don't think I can even get past the cut off.
Last years cut off was 667.5 (although some say it was 675, I just hope its the former :colone:) and it probably is set to increase this year.

thanks for replying :smile: Argh man, thats a bad news then. I don't have brilliant A-Level grades (just meet the entry requirements) so UKCAT was the only way forward..which other unis do you think i should try? thinking of glasgow but thats the same with ukcat :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending