The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You probably won't get a physical relationship out of it... would that put you off?
Why don't you just tell her that you don't know much about the Muslim faith and ask her a bit about it and what it means to her?
Original post by Anonymous
Hi there,

I quite like this girl at work and hope that our relationship progresses. I have just found out that she is believes in the Muslim faith...

This doesn't bother me in the slightest but what I want to know, is there anything I should be careful of? If I am honest I don't know too much about the Muslim faith so are there any "no no's" that I should be aware of.

Any suggestions are welcome...

Don't ask to meet the parents.
at any hint of being a muslim I would cut her loose, but that's just me... she's probably a nice person but it's a sick religion and culture. They've got more no-no's than you can shake a stick at, infact, you are probably a no-no yourself.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5
tbf being muslim means nothing cos every muslim has their own limits and views so see how it goes and you'll find out..
Reply 6
Well to be honest

The term "girlfriend" and "Muslim" should not go hand in hand.

Just the fact that she's willing to be in a relationship outside of marriage tells you how much she truly believes in said faith.
Original post by SwingOnTheSpiral88
at any hint of being a muslim I would cut her loose, but that's just me... she's probably a nice person but it's a sick religion and culture. They've got more no-no's than you can shake a stick at, infact, you are probably a no-no yourself.

Religion and culture are two differnent things. Usually culture is what influences people rather than religion.
And you can't just generalise like that.

OP I think you should just talk to her about her views on the religion, it shouldn't be a problem.
Some people are more religious than others but it's up to the person really.
I don't think religion would be a problem
Reply 8
I think the 'no no's are going to depend on how strongly she believes in Islam. A physical relationship is probably the biggest one. And if she's observing Ramadan you might want to rule out any places you might want to invite her that involves food.

Has she shown much interest back for you?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 9
Good night sweet prince...
Reply 10
Pretty sure it's forbidden in Islam for a muslim women to marry a non muslim therefore I think any relationship would also be frowned upon.
Reply 11
Original post by Unknown?
Pretty sure it's forbidden in Islam for a muslim women to marry a non muslim therefore I think any relationship would also be frowned upon.

Agreeeeeeed
Nope there are no such rules.Muslims can marry christian,jews,etc.And dude if u "really" love that girl just forget about religion,but if its lust hehehe i think youve got no chance.
(edited 12 years ago)
dating isnt allowed in islam before marrigage so your relationship would be hidden unless her parents arent strict and stuff...

also sex before marriage isnt allowed as well so how physical she'll get well just depend on her really.. and drinking isnt allowed. so if your going to pub/clubs with mates and want her to come there might be some awkardness there or she might feel insecure..

but then again just cos shes muslim dont mean shes strict. everyones different.. but like somone pointed out ramadan is coming up and most muslims become 'good' for the month so...
Reply 14
Chances are it ain't going to end well tbh.
Reply 15
It is forbidden in Islam to take boyfirends or girlfriends. If you are serious about a relationship with her, then learn about Islam, become a Muslim and then marry her.
You need to know what her limits are. It varies with everyone, I was pretty much a practising Muslim, and then I met the guy of my dreams and relion-wise, things went a bit iffy. I've gone all the way with him (sex etc.) which is completely against the religion. there are things like how he can't meet my family because they'd kick me out/shun me etc... Once you get closer with her, ask her what sort of things she practises. Some girls won't want a physical relationship at all, for others they're ok to kiss but nothing more, soem girls will be fine with foreplay but no penetration etc etc. And then there's things like how she might not eat certain food, might not drink. Tbh, things like drinking and eating non-halal is completely forbidden but you need to know what her own personal choices are since in western societies these tend to differ person to person. And good luck with it. Also, just a friendly tip (an not patronising, just saying cos I'm a 'muslim' girl) do try and be very considerate towards this because for her to even contemplate having a boyfriend is a big step, so bear in mind you probably mean a lot to her if she's willing to risk getting into a **** tonne of trouble for you.
Original post by Ibn Umar
It is forbidden in Islam to take boyfirends or girlfriends. If you are serious about a relationship with her, then learn about Islam, become a Muslim and then marry her.

Why should he have to convert?
Reply 18
Not in the month of Ramadaan no :naughty:
Original post by iwantcurlyhairtoo
Why should he have to convert?

Supposedly because muslim men can marry people of the book, but muslim woman can only marry muslim men.

I say supposedly because i have no link myself besides wikipedia, and the rest is what i've seen on the religion sub-forums.

Latest

Trending

Trending