The Student Room Group

ELQ SLC Nightmare: Warning to Others

The reason that I'm posting this is that I had a bit of a nightmare this week and want to avoid others going through the same stress I did but this will only apply to mature students as it is for those who have already graduated with a previous degree.

I'm going into the second year of my social work degree in September, having previously graduated with an honours degree 10 years ago (so that's where the ELQ comes in). As I am on the social work degree, like medical degrees and initial teacher training, this is exempt from the rule that a second student loan won't be available. But surprise, surprise, this year my student loan came through with £0.00 maintenance loan and just the parental learning allowance.

The reason that I'm posting a warning to you other lovely people is because apparently this happens a lot and people panic (it seems to happen to the medical exempt students a lot as well; I was so glad it wasn't just me). The SLC are absolutely useless in the situation because they honestly don't know the rules and even when you explain that you are exempt because you are on a degree which is an exception to this rule they just fumble with it because they don't know their own policies.

I will, however, admit that when I called it was the first time that I had spoken to someone who was polite (very rare) and honest in saying that she didn't know but advised me to make a formal appeal because I obviously knew more than she did.

Student midwives and student doctors with previous degrees have had the same problem and been told that the software apparently doesn't work for those who have previous degrees and are on exempt courses and that you have to have a manual assessment. I believe that blaming the software is a pretty poor excuse, because if it was faulty then they would fix it or run a manual check on those on exempt degrees who have ticked the box for having a prior qualification.

However, if you do have to call them or write to them and explain why you are exempt the legislation that makes it so is Regulation 62 of the Education (Student Support) Regulations 2007. You can also point out to them that their own decision matrix gives them a list of the exempt courses and suggest that they look at this which I found at http://practitioners.studentfinanceengland.co.uk.

I, in the meantime, have written out a formal appeal pointing out the law and their own guidance to them and have my fingers crossed that they have the common sense to apologise. Fingers are crossed that they at least put their mistake right.

But I am interested in how many people have the same problem because if this is a regular issue for mature students on exempt courses who have previous qualifications then either the SLC need better trained staff or need to correct the errors in their software or both.

Sincerely hoping that all of you have a smooth SLC application whatever your circumstances though!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I have had the same problem!!! Got the letter on saturday and called staight away- the guy i spoke to said he was sure that i was entitled to it but would send an email to head office asking them to look at the application again as i was doing social work!

I feel really stressed about this! I was also told that i would not get nay help with childcare costs, total nightmare. :frown:
That's what's bugging me about it, is that it seems to be a mistake that they're making regularly and there's something ticking in their little brains telling them that they're not right but yet they keep making the mistake. But do back your call up with an e-mail to the [email protected] address so that you have some evidence in writing that you've appealed the decision.
Reply 3
will do thanks :smile:
Reply 4
Hi

Just to let you know that this also happened to me last year when I applied for the reduced-rate maintenance loan before starting a second degree in Speech and Language Sciences. I also applied on-line and was horrified to receive the letter awarding me £0.00, as I knew that I was entitled to it. I was giving up my job to return to university as a mature student and with kids, mortgage e.t.c and could not afford to start the course without having this funding in addition to the NHS bursary.

Anyway, after speaking to various advisors at SLC, I was eventually told to put my appeal in writing and e-mail the appeals team (which I did) and twelve days later got a reply to say that I was correct and they would do a reassement of my loan application.

I know the same thing also happened to a friend of mine, who had also done a previous degree. However, on receipt of the letter advising her that she was not entitled, decided not pursue it further. It was only when I encouraged her to appeal that she did so and the outcome was also successful. It is frustrating to hear that despite these successful appeals, there are still people applying this year who are getting turned down.

I reapplied this year for the maintenance loan for my second year of study and did not have any problems. Anyway, hope my story has encouraged you to proceed with your appeals and best of luck!
Reply 5
Really?? its just shocking... got another letter saying not entitled anything!! def appealing- the advisors dont seem to know anything about it!!

I am emailing tonight!!!! Thanks it makes me hopeful.....:smile:
Reply 6
Original post by lynny
Really?? its just shocking... got another letter saying not entitled anything!! def appealing- the advisors dont seem to know anything about it!!

I am emailing tonight!!!! Thanks it makes me hopeful.....:smile:

Hi

It's so annoying! Best of luck with your appeal. If you want, you can send me a p.m and I'll send you a copy of the letter that I used last year to successfully appeal against the decision.
Reply 7
Does anyone know if people doing foundation degrees (for which ELQ does not apply at all) have been having this problem?
I can happily confirm that the SLC have just today sent me a letter offering me some proper money!! Hurrah!! I didn't get an apology or any acknowledgement that I was right and they had messed up, but they seem to have put themselves right anyway. I'm not leaving it at that, because there is obviously something wrong with their systems, training and customer service and they need to resolve it.

When I did my research I didn't come across any issues with foundation degrees - although I will admit that my searches probably wouldn't have let it through because I was specifically looking at ELQ. But I do have copies of the SLC's procedures which includes those who have foundation degrees and if you take a look at the full copy of the Education (Student Support) Regulations 2007 you will be able to see the section which applies to foundation degrees.....any problems, let me know and I'll see what I can ferret out for you (the old law degree is proving useful in some respects).
Original post by Hope But No Faith
I can happily confirm that the SLC have just today sent me a letter offering me some proper money!! Hurrah!! I didn't get an apology or any acknowledgement that I was right and they had messed up, but they seem to have put themselves right anyway. I'm not leaving it at that, because there is obviously something wrong with their systems, training and customer service and they need to resolve it.

When I did my research I didn't come across any issues with foundation degrees - although I will admit that my searches probably wouldn't have let it through because I was specifically looking at ELQ. But I do have copies of the SLC's procedures which includes those who have foundation degrees and if you take a look at the full copy of the Education (Student Support) Regulations 2007 you will be able to see the section which applies to foundation degrees.....any problems, let me know and I'll see what I can ferret out for you (the old law degree is proving useful in some respects).

So does this mean that I am eligible for the reduced-rate maintenance loan if I am applying for Physiotherapy as my second degree?
Original post by lizzyjane
Hi

Just to let you know that this also happened to me last year when I applied for the reduced-rate maintenance loan before starting a second degree in Speech and Language Sciences. I also applied on-line and was horrified to receive the letter awarding me £0.00, as I knew that I was entitled to it. I was giving up my job to return to university as a mature student and with kids, mortgage e.t.c and could not afford to start the course without having this funding in addition to the NHS bursary.

Anyway, after speaking to various advisors at SLC, I was eventually told to put my appeal in writing and e-mail the appeals team (which I did) and twelve days later got a reply to say that I was correct and they would do a reassement of my loan application.

I know the same thing also happened to a friend of mine, who had also done a previous degree. However, on receipt of the letter advising her that she was not entitled, decided not pursue it further. It was only when I encouraged her to appeal that she did so and the outcome was also successful. It is frustrating to hear that despite these successful appeals, there are still people applying this year who are getting turned down.

I reapplied this year for the maintenance loan for my second year of study and did not have any problems. Anyway, hope my story has encouraged you to proceed with your appeals and best of luck!

So anyone applying for NHS funded courses are eligible for the reduced rate maintenance loan?

I have had real trouble trying to find out. I called them up twice, one person told me no I am not eligible for anything, the other said I was :s-smilie:
I didnt get a degree the last time i went to university and have been told by the slc i need to send actual proof of what i did get which was a dip.he and was told i could be entitled to a reduce maintance loan if i successfull get a place on a nhs funded course does this mean i will have to appeal next year as i hope to go university in 2012
anyone advise me on this i would greatly appreciate it:biggrin:
Reply 12
SLC incompetence doesn't surprise me at all. They recently sent me a letter saying they made a mistake calculating my grants/loans and I am actually only entitled to approx £1200 less than they originally said. So now they are going to claw back the money on my next two payments meaning the accommodation I arranged is no longer affordable. Apparently this happened because they did not assess the evidence correctly (how difficult is it to punch some numbers into a computer?) and after an audit they realised their mistake.

I asked them what I'm supposed to do now and their response was "well you still get some money in your next installments"..... yes SOME, but £1200 less than I budgeted for. I don't know what planet SLC workers live on, but where I'm coming from, losing £100 a month income is a big deal.

I would suggest everyone check and double check ANY paperwork coming from SLC - it is obvious that they can't be trusted to do anything properly first time, so it is up to the student to make sure their calculations are correct.
I think you will find it has nothing to do with your end but rather the pathetic amount of bureaucracy and the inept idiots trying to carry it out.
Reply 14
I have received same advice yeserday regarding maintenance loan and previous study. Luckily the guy I spoke to checked everything out and said he felt sure I was entitled to something and has sent in a resolve form. Rang them again today and another very helpful guy confirmed over phone social work is exempt from previous study rules.
The relevant guidance is in PDF Assessing Student Eligibility, section 152:

152. The Student Support Regulations make an exception for students taking courses in medicine, dentistry, veterinary science, architecture, social work and undergraduate Initial Teacher Training (ITT). Students will continue to be eligible for loans for living costs, even if they already hold an equivalent or higher level qualification. Please note that medicine, dentistry and veterinary science courses may be listed as level 7 on the QAA framework. The Framework does not form part of the Student Support Regulations and for the purpose of providing student support such qualifications should be treated as equivalent to an Honours degree. Therefore, students who already hold an Honours degree or the equivalent qualification and are studying these courses as a second undergraduate degree, will not be eligible for any further fee support or maintenance grant.

It is a huge stress as a separated mum of 3 kids I could have done without thinking I was going to have to withdraw!!

On the plus side it does appear SLC workers are more clued up on this anomaly this year as guy yesterday put in the resolve form straight away and I was advised today it has been sent and I don't need to do anything yet, but await new decision next week!!

you would think the software they use could cope with this and/or all staff are fully trained in the guidance / legislation applicable!

Good luck everyone and don't panic if u r refused loan but doing NHS Bursary qualifying course and also architecture!
Hi I just wanted to say that I applied for student finance as I hope to study BA Social Work this September.I was told I would not get a penny towards anything because they thought I had an MA.I explained to them that I had undertaken a PGCert as part of my work which was funded by work.After finding this thread I looked into ELQ which I had not even heard about {many thanks}.After speaking to at least 7 incompitant people at SFE I finally managed to speak with someone who told me it was a mistake and that I would be eligable for loans and grants ect due to the exemption rule.I was sent a break down of the finance assistance I would recieve and was all set to send this to NHS bursaries.However the next day I recieved a letter from SFE saying I was not entitled to the tuition fee loan.I was not worried because I thought it was from the first mistake but when I phoned up to check if this was the case once again several people told me I would not get the Loan for Tuition Fees.I am due to start the Social Work course in less than two weeks and I actually don't know what to do.I would welcome any advice as I am at a loss now and I am thinking that the fight is over.I have appealed,written to MP's including Parliment and not heard a thing.HELP !!
Reply 16
Original post by sunsetdream
Hi I just wanted to say that I applied for student finance as I hope to study BA Social Work this September.I was told I would not get a penny towards anything because they thought I had an MA.I explained to them that I had undertaken a PGCert as part of my work which was funded by work.After finding this thread I looked into ELQ which I had not even heard about {many thanks}.After speaking to at least 7 incompitant people at SFE I finally managed to speak with someone who told me it was a mistake and that I would be eligable for loans and grants ect due to the exemption rule.I was sent a break down of the finance assistance I would recieve and was all set to send this to NHS bursaries.However the next day I recieved a letter from SFE saying I was not entitled to the tuition fee loan.I was not worried because I thought it was from the first mistake but when I phoned up to check if this was the case once again several people told me I would not get the Loan for Tuition Fees.I am due to start the Social Work course in less than two weeks and I actually don't know what to do.I would welcome any advice as I am at a loss now and I am thinking that the fight is over.I have appealed,written to MP's including Parliment and not heard a thing.HELP !!

Try contacting your university and seeing if they have any financial advisers there who can try and push things along in your favour. They should have someone there who works on these issues as student finance f*ck up so often and are so unbelievably hopeless to deal with on the phone that many, many students require help throughout their course. - The uni are have an interest here because no finance = no money for them!

I've lost all hope with SLE. I took a break from my course last year and as a result that have totally stuffed up my calculations for this year - taking money back off me that they shouldn't be and generally being hopeless. I've phoned them numerous times, written letters, had university input and still got no where. They have sent me out 6 or 7 different entitlement letters (all of them wrong), I once got two on one day ffs..... this has been ongoing since April....

So don't hold your breath about getting a quick resolution....
I know it's terrible and after they mess with your head and emotions they actually end the call with ''Is there anything eles I can help you with".When this happened the first time I contacted the University and they looked into it for me but sure enough I was exempt from the fees loan.I asked if I could go onto a MA and they said no because although a Degree is level 6 and I have gained a level 7 this does not qualify me to go onto the MA.So the Post Grad Cert means I can't go down but I cannot get up either.Thinking of paying the fees with Bursary may have to live off fresh air but why should I give up on what I really want to do.Lucky for me I have not given up work because for all they know I could have moved and given up work and be in **** creek.I will fight this even if I have to take it to the papers,courts of justice what ever for all those students that gave up their place for the sake of SFE incompetance.
Original post by sunsetdream
I know it's terrible and after they mess with your head and emotions they actually end the call with ''Is there anything eles I can help you with".When this happened the first time I contacted the University and they looked into it for me but sure enough I was exempt from the fees loan.I asked if I could go onto a MA and they said no because although a Degree is level 6 and I have gained a level 7 this does not qualify me to go onto the MA.So the Post Grad Cert means I can't go down but I cannot get up either.Thinking of paying the fees with Bursary may have to live off fresh air but why should I give up on what I really want to do.Lucky for me I have not given up work because for all they know I could have moved and given up work and be in **** creek.I will fight this even if I have to take it to the papers,courts of justice what ever for all those students that gave up their place for the sake of SFE incompetance.

Just to update I ended up enrolling onto my chosen course as I had no reply from my appeal to Student Finance .I could have not enrolled but if the appeal came back that I was entitled to the tuition fee loan I would loose my place that I had worked so hard for.The University advised me to enrole and so I did.I decided that as I was finally on the course and ready to start I would pay the tution fees with the NHS Bursary and Maintainance loan and survive on my wages from part time work.The appeal came back saying I could not have a tution fee loan because of my previous study.It did not matter that I had not attended Univesity before.I asked if I could go onto a masters course instead as I would get the loan if my course was higher than the intended course I had undertaken but they said that I could not due to the fact I did not have a first degree !!!!! when I explained to the University that I could pay my own fees they said that I could do this but that as I would be on a placement in the second and third year I would not be able to work because it would be hard for me to fit work around the course placement and assignments but also legally I would be working too many hours.After hours on the phone,many written letters to various departments and massive support from the University I had no choice but to throw in the towel and exit the Social Work course that I so wanted to do.Please be warned that the new rules for some Universities is that when you exit you are liable for part of the fees even after only a few weeksThis really is a massive WARNING to others and I will be taking this further in time when I have gotten over the shock of this nightmare situation.
Hi, I know this is an old thread but I am unfortunately in the same situation. I am so upset. SFE told me I would be eligible for funding to study my second degree at university in an exempted subject. So i quit my job and enrolled expecting to get full support. Now I have been notified I will only receive maintenance loan. That's it. So i really am at a loss what to do :frown: any advice?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending