The Student Room Group
Reply 1
i think you generally audition at a few colleges anyway, so how likely you are to get a scholarship isn't really affected by which one you apply for as a first choice

other than that i don't really know much...
Reply 2
As RxB, i don't know much about it.. but pretty sure i remember seeing a leaflet about them in the Admissions i centre.
so if you're planning a trip to Oxford anytime soon you could visit there? or perhaps contact the University Admissions people directly & ask. :smile:

otherwise - some musical types on this board seem to include Oxymoron & TeamVillage who might know more.
Reply 3
Elles

otherwise - some musical types on this board seem to include Oxymoron & TeamVillage who might know more.

If Teamvillage doesn't know himself, I gather he knows someone who will have the info :wink:
I will point him to this thread tonight.
I can give you some info on the Cambridge system. Firstly, you should bear in mind, that as an organ scholar you can apply to both Oxford and Cambridge. In Cambridge, you'll make a list of your three preferred colleges, and will have an organ audition at which you'll be asked to play a set work (normally some fugal Bach I expect), and possibly some other stuff, and do some tests. In Cambridge, the best organ scholars go for King's and John's, just because they have 6 services a week. Beyond those, I don't really know much about the hierarchy. I assume that there are similar colleges in Oxford, but just don't know. You will, on application, also have to pass an academic interview at the college in the same way that other applicants do.

MB
Reply 5
Big Colleges (6 services+ a week) Magdalen, ChristChurch, New

After that, you can pretty much take your pick. All the way from Queen's, Exeter, Worcester etc (3+ services a week) to places like Corpus (1 a week).

Not all small colleges take an Organ Scholar every year.

Google is your friend. A fairly simple "Oxford Organ Scholarship" search led me here: http://www.admissions.ox.ac.uk/orgscholars/orgawards.shtml
It's for the round of interviews just gone, but it should be helpful.
Reply 6
The organ scholarships trials are in early-mid September and include playing and other tests such as conducting, as well as the academic interviews. Because everything is done together, you should know the outcome within a couple of days, or even while you are there if you are lucky. (The singing tests for Choral Scholarships are also done in September, but then the applicants have to come back with everyone else for the academic interviews.)

I think the playing element tends to happen in one place so representatives of all colleges can hear all applicants. Over recent years this has been at Magdalen which has a rather difficult tracker-action instrument. Applicants to Magdalen, New or Christ Church have to take a short practice with one of the boys' choirs (New College in recent years), applicants to other colleges have to conduct a small adult ensemble.

The organ scholars for Magdalen, New & ChCh have a much bigger time commitment, with more services and also more practices - the organ scholars at Magdalen have to be up to play for the boys' practices at 8 or 8.30 every morning. They also have the pressure of having to play at a consistently very high standard.

One thing to check on is whether a college has a Director of Music in the chapel. If they do the scholars will be assisting them, usually playing, but sometimes conducting. If there is no DOM the scholars will be in charge of the music and doing everything.
Reply 7
What % of organ scholars are public school pupils?
Reply 8
I doubt if there are any comprehensive stats on this. Of the 7 people I have known who have won organ scholarships over the last 5-6 years (4 Oxford, 3 Cambridge) four have been from the independent sector, but only one from what I'd call a public school.

Latest

Trending

Trending