Should the Titanic ever be raised?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Raving_Hippy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
I was watching some documentaries about the Titanic and reading some articles online about the 1912 tragedy.

It's nearly 100 years since the Titanic sunk. If the technology ever existed to make it possible, do you think the Titanic wreck should be raised?

It could be put in a museum on display.

Or is it disrespectful of those who tragically lost their lives to raise the ship? Should it be left as a grave site?

The thing is, if the ship isn't raised soon it will have decayed to nothing.

I just read that the Titanic wreck will be completely decayed in another 20 years, as it is being eaten away by rust-eating bacteria http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...-bacteria.html

Advertisement
W.H.T
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
seriously, there isn't technology avaliable right now to do this?
Josh_Dey
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I think it should. It would be very interesting to see and it would be such a waste to history to lose it.
Advertisement
Raving_Hippy
Rep:
?
(Original post by W.H.T)
seriously, there isn't technology avaliable right now to do this?
We do have sufficient technology today to raise the Titanic. The main problems are the huge cost of doing so - who would put up the money? - and also the wreck is extremely fragile and it would take serious skill and effort to raise it without adding further damage to the already well decayed wreck. I mean, the ship lies 2.5 miles below the surface - you can imagine the sort of pressure the wreck is under from the seawater on top of it.

I was more interested in your perspectives from a moral point of view, not so much a practical point of view - do you think it's morally right to raise it, or should it be left alone as a resting place as respect for those who died?
Octohedral
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I'm not sure. I think almost 100 years is long enough for the human side to become history - nobody has any contentions about unearthing sites like Roman graveyards - and it would be fascinating.

On the other hand, we know exactly what a White Star Liner looked like from photos and the sister ship, so maybe it has more value where it is. They brought up a teacup once and cleaned it, and it was just a teacup - but on the seabed it was a poignant memorial.
Advertisement
Octohedral
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by imallenandimovery)
The Titanic is not real! You may as well ask whether we should bury Leonardo DiCaprio with that chunky piano he sank with.
Er...?
LoveErinxo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I thought it was too fragile to be raised? I might be wrong, but I read that because of the immense pressure on it (from being so far under the sea) if we tried to raise it, it would just be destroyed. Although, if we ever did find a way to prevent this, I think it would be amazing if we could surface it.
Advertisement
aja89
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Wouldn't it just sort of disintegrate if they tried? And to be fair it is a burial ground for a whole lot of bodies on the third class deck down there.
Lone Wander R
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I think 100 years is long enough, it would be sad to see such a significant disaster in history to fade away.

I think raising it would be fine.

After all, I think they give tours of Auswitch if I'm not mistaken.
(if they don't then I must seem really insensitive so I do apoligise)
Advertisement
KJane
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by imallenandimovery)
The Titanic is not real! You may as well ask whether we should bury Leonardo DiCaprio with that chunky piano he sank with.

But OP, I don't think raising it would cause a sign of disrespect, especially if it was put on display and brought directly into the public eye as a reminder to how devastating it was. I mean think of all the things on display from Jewish victims of the Holocaust.

But the Titanic is very fragile and I swear I watched a show that said it's been preserved so long due to the conditions at that depth in the sea. Moving it would be quite risky due to it's size, age, location, etc...
W.H.T
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Raving_Hippy)
We do have sufficient technology today to raise the Titanic. The main problems are the huge cost of doing so - who would put up the money? - and also the wreck is extremely fragile and it would take serious skill and effort to raise it without adding further damage to the already well decayed wreck. I mean, the ship lies 2.5 miles below the surface - you can imagine the sort of pressure the wreck is under from the seawater on top of it.

I was more interested in your perspectives from a moral point of view, not so much a practical point of view - do you think it's morally right to raise it, or should it be left alone as a resting place as respect for those who died?
Don;t really know tbh. Its not an intended burial ground, so in a way, raising it won't be too disrespectful I think, and also theres the fact as you've mentioned that if we leave it there for longer, it'll eventually be eroded away to nothing. On the other hand, I think part of what captivates most people about this story of a shipwreck, is the fact that the ship is still 'lost' away. Recovering it and sticking it in a museum somewhat spoils this and may be an undignified way to treat it.
Advertisement
TheSmithsIndeed
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Lone Wander R)
I think 100 years is long enough, it would be sad to see such a significant disaster in history to fade away.

Don't worry, they do give tours of Auschwitz. I went on one- still not sure what to make of it tbh.

Anyway, OP, so long as the story lives on, I don't think that it is necessary to have the remains of the ship on display somewhere.
cid
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
why would you raise it? what benefit would it provide?
Advertisement
Raving_Hippy
Rep:
?
(Original post by cid)
why would you raise it? what benefit would it provide?
To preserve a part of history before it vanishes forever. There could be a museum with the wreck in it, which I'm sure would draw in a lot of visitors, so it would make money for the economy in some way.
Eimky
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I think it should remain on the seabed. When I think of the titanic, I see it being ripped apart and slowly sinking. I think it is a poignant reminder that man cannot always triumph over nature.
denning
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Lone Wander R)

I think a tour of Auschwitz is different to the raising of the Titanic. When walking around Auschwitz you get a sense of what it is like to be there and the horrors that occurred. The Titanic was a luxury cruise liner - yes it could be raised but what would the benefit be? You can never gain the same experience of a sinking ship and if you want a luxury liner just book onto a cruise.

The Titanic is a part of history and rightly or wrongly its fame comes more from a film produced in 1997, there is no benefit to raising it from the seabed. A physical product from the wreckage is unlikely to add to the story because it is not historical enough i.e. different from similar ships today.
Vinchenko
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Well I think whether it's morally right depends on what you're going to do with it - I can't think of anything you could do that wouldn't just turn it into a tourist attraction which would be incredibly disrespectful. At least with something like the Mary Rose, the whole point is that it's the last reminder of the world's greatest Navy in the 16th century, and representative of all that. When it comes down to it, Titanic is just a big ship that killed so many through stupidity. It was also hardly unusual for liners to go down in those days, if anything the 'women and children first' attitude that was present was unusual! Normally mayhem ensued apparently.

Also, what would you do with it? It's 2.5 miles down hundreds of miles from land - and in international waters - and it is a truly colossal thing. A museum to house it would be vast, and obviously the ship being so rusty you wouldn't be able to go into it or anything, so you couldn't see much. Also preserving a steel ship is even more difficult than a wooden one (like the Mary Rose), and this is many hundreds of times larger. I'm no marine archaeologist, but would any of the bodies still be around or would they have decomposed? If they are still around, would be even worse, what would you do?
Advertisement
danielfigfoz
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I wonder if there are skeletons there or not.

I don't think that it should be raised, I think that it is a better memorial, as several posters have said where it is.

Maybe one day it would be possible to do make an underwater complex there, for people to see it
Class 66
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
No, they'd raise it and it would disintegrate, literally, it's too fragile.
Silver Aurora
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Let's, we shouldn't let one of man's early adventures be let to rust, such a stepping stone in our history. Morally, there will be issuses but from a personal perspective, we dig up dead bodies all the time, it's not too much different!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (235)
33.67%
No (463)
66.33%

Watched Threads