Is it safe to keep a fan on all night? Watch

This discussion is closed.
Infinite_
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
It gets really hot in my house at night and I've lost the key for my window so I usually sleep with a fan running in my bedroom all night, a friend said that keeping a fan on all night is bad for your health and can be dangerous. Is this true?
oodlesofpoodles
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Well anything that blows all night has got to be good, right?
Infinite_
Rep:
?
Well thanks for that (not so) witty quip. Does anyone actually know if it is or isn't dangerous??
tface
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Not quite sure why your friend would think that slightly cooling a room can be hazardous for your health, unless he is going for the angle of overheating electronics, which seems very unlikely to me.
adammmm
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
That's just some crazy myth. I've slept with a fan on every single night for the past like 4 years cause the noise soothes me.
JordanR
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by oodlesofpoodles)
Boom. Thread over. No one's going to top this line.

No, there are no health implications for keeping a fan on all night.
MonkeyMan2009
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Infinite_)
Well thanks for that (not so) witty quip. Does anyone actually know if it is or isn't dangerous??
my fan is on now and has been on for the last 4 hrs (have done so for the past few years..... as long as the wiring is fine, should be ok.... unplug when not in use (as a general "precaution"... so I've been told ...

not sure how its bad for your health... the only thing I can think of is the plug/motor burning out, possibly causing an electrical fire?
mabrookes
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It gets really hot in my house at night and I've lost the key for my window so I usually sleep with a fan running in my bedroom all night, a friend said that keeping a fan on all night is bad for your health and can be dangerous. Is this true?
Only if it develops sentience, which is rare luckily . . . . I am not going though that again if I can help it.
Infinite_
Rep:
?
(Original post by MonkeyMan2009)
my fan is on now and has been on for the last 4 hrs (have done so for the past few years..... as long as the wiring is fine, should be ok.... unplug when not in use (as a general "precaution"... so I've been told ...

not sure how its bad for your health... the only thing I can think of is the plug/motor burning out, possibly causing an electrical fire?

(Original post by tface)
Not quite sure why your friend would think that slightly cooling a room can be hazardous for your health, unless he is going for the angle of overheating electronics, which seems very unlikely to me.
My friend said that sleeping with a fan on can cause you to be more susceptible to airborne bacteria and can therefore make you ill. Also he said that because of the constant draft you can catch a cold.
Infinite_
Rep:
?
So is it safe for me to sleep with it on or should I turn it off?
MonkeyMan2009
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
My friend said that sleeping with a fan on can cause you to be more susceptible to airborne bacteria and can therefore make you ill. Also he said that because of the constant draft you can catch a cold.
sayiing that, I have a habit of putting the fan close up to my bed on humid/hot nights on full blast and in the morning I have a sore throat for a while! (always clears up after 2-3 hrs though).....

He most probably has a point, but I'm not worried about it. I'm more likely to get ill being trapped on the packed out underground trains in london!

As long as you don't have asthma or any other conditions, you should be fine...
MonkeyMan2009
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
So is it safe for me to sleep with it on or should I turn it off?
if you notice its making you unwell, turn it off... it not, you can leave it on (if you're feeling hot).

Ice pillow works the best for hot/humid nights.
NotSoCool.Fly
Badges: 11
Report 7 years ago
if anything this should be in a forum relating to whether or not it'll do something damaging in that youll wake up and find something stuck in it, or it's tippled over into your bed and you put your hand in it, or something. im thinking along more of those terms, llol. damn the scary fan stories in childhood.
Infinite_
Rep:
?
(Original post by MonkeyMan2009)
if you notice its making you unwell, turn it off... it not, you can leave it on (if you're feeling hot).

Ice pillow works the best for hot/humid nights.
What's an ice pillow? Is it uncomfortable?
Infinite_
Rep:
?
(Original post by NotSoCool.Fly)
if anything this should be in a forum relating to whether or not it'll do something damaging in that youll wake up and find something stuck in it, or it's tippled over into your bed and you put your hand in it, or something. im thinking along more of those terms, llol. damn the scary fan stories in childhood.
I always put it on my side table next to my bed and it wobbles quite a bit when it's on, do you think there's any potential for it to fall on me and do any serious damage?
NotSoCool.Fly
Badges: 11
Report 7 years ago
Yes.!
No655321
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by oodlesofpoodles)
...you're good.

(+rep)
Aspiringlawstudent
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Is this thread serious?

Unless it's a ceiling fan and it falls on your head, or catches fire somehow, I can't see how it would be dangerous.

Isn't this a myth from Korea or somewhere?
MonkeyMan2009
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by NotSoCool.Fly)
I put my hand through the broken guard on my 19" table fan and into the rotating blade. Nothing happened apart from the blade stopping; made of hard, blunt plastic.

certain ceiling fans which are dangerous (the ones in england are safe-guarded and designed to prevent injury. Not so sure about the ones abroad).
MonkeyMan2009
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Aspiringlawstudent)
Is this thread serious?

Unless it's a ceiling fan and it falls on your head, or catches fire somehow, I can't see how it would be dangerous.

Isn't this a myth from Korea or somewhere?
...or any country with a hot climate and where fans are used.
X

Are cats selfish

Yes (135)
60.81%
No (87)
39.19%

Watched Threads