The Student Room Group

Psy-trance Raves...

A THREAD FOR PSYCHEDELIC TRANCE IN ALL FORMS

A thread for all lovers of psytrance or those who are merely curious. Whether you've got a penchant for prog, you get trippy to tribal, or prefer your psy down right dark and dirty - this is the thread for you. Feel free to discuss parties we've been to, parties you're going to, as well as tip offs for events around the UK and beyond, and share the music that's making your head spin.

Welcoming all you f r e a k y people...
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Where in the Midlands?
Reply 2
Oh god, Tribe <3
Reply 3
Original post by JCC-MGS
Where in the Midlands?

I guess Birmingham is probably the nearest city. Or Worcester. Or somewhere in that direction.
Original post by gypsyclimber
I guess Birmingham is probably the nearest city. Or Worcester. Or somewhere in that direction.

I could've guessed you were West Mids, we're the only part of the country where so little happens that you have to come to TSR to ask about raves
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5
If you head to Camden Stables Market, you'll find loads of stalls that sell psytrance and give details on raves and whatnot. There's also a pub, The Stag's Head just up from Electric Ballroom which is a well known psytrance venue.
Reply 6
Original post by Hylean
If you head to Camden Stables Market, you'll find loads of stalls that sell psytrance and give details on raves and whatnot. There's also a pub, The Stag's Head just up from Electric Ballroom which is a well known psytrance venue.

Isn't that in London?
Reply 7
Isn't that in London?

Yea, but if you go once or twice to visit, you can pick up mailing lists, flyers, etc. which will tell you about events across the country and you can also get recommendations about what albums to buy, etc.
Reply 8
Original post by Hylean
Yea, but if you go once or twice to visit, you can pick up mailing lists, flyers, etc. which will tell you about events across the country and you can also get recommendations about what albums to buy, etc.

Ahhh okay brilliant, thanks for the advice.
Reply 9
Sprocket is a good DJ.

I only know of places in London, but they're all 24 hour raves (10-10) so if you do wanna go for the whole night and jump on a train back the next morning/afternoon/evening then it is possible (i've met a fair few that do this).

I usually just find DJs from links from the facebook events for the raves, but some organisers you might want to keep an eye on are (search facebook):
SquatParty London
Indigo Psykids
Theart Ofpsy

Theart Ofpsy have been having a series of forest raves called the art of psychedelia, which are pretty good.

The people on the FB groups are pretty nice, so if you join them then you can always ask if there is anything closer to you?

This event looks off the hook! (Check out the video of the last one).

You've got me in the mood, can't wait till my next rave now! :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by paperclip
Sprocket is a good DJ.

I only know of places in London, but they're all 24 hour raves (10-10) so if you do wanna go for the whole night and jump on a train back the next morning/afternoon/evening then it is possible (i've met a fair few that do this).

I usually just find DJs from links from the facebook events for the raves, but some organisers you might want to keep an eye on are (search facebook):
SquatParty London
Indigo Psykids
Theart Ofpsy

Theart Ofpsy have been having a series of forest raves called the art of psychedelia, which are pretty good.

The people on the FB groups are pretty nice, so if you join them then you can always ask if there is anything closer to you?

This event looks off the hook! (Check out the video of the last one).

You've got me in the mood, can't wait till my next rave now! :biggrin:

Thanks a lot, that's so so useful. My boyfriend's brother is moving to London in October, so I can go and stay with him and go to the ones you talked about. Thanks a lot, I'll check them out!
Hurr Infected Mushroom hurr.
Original post by Aisha~~
Hurr Infected Mushroom hurr.

Yeah they're good, I know them. My Dad absolutely loves them...

Thanks a lot, that's so so useful. My boyfriend's brother is moving to London in October, so I can go and stay with him and go to the ones you talked about. Thanks a lot, I'll check them out!

You're welcome. I accidentally got into it by finding one of the events on facebook when looking for a night out, i posted on the facebook wall asking whether we're allowed our own alcohol (yeah we are), and whether entry is free (it varies, but most are free before a certain time), loads of other related groups added me, so just keep posting and you'll find good events! :biggrin:

October? If you're going to SuperSonik ShinDig V2 then fancy pre drinking with my lot? :biggrin: (Oh, and how about a dance off? :p:)
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 14
Woot, a psytrance thread! I'm an avid fan of psytrance, and also a regular attender of London psy parties. Loooove them!

Reet...

Kanyini run a night in Birmingham. As far as I know, it's the only official psy night in the midlands, though it's pretty irregular.

London is the hub for psytrance in the UK, though. More cutting-edge music is played there, with outdoor & squat parties happening every weekend. Really vibrant scene, proper family vibes. That's what I love about the psytrance scene, how well connected people are in it...

Check out http://www.psymusic.co.uk - it's a well good psytrance forum for people based in the UK. My second home, pretty much.

As for music recommendations, I'll post a ****load of linked YouTube vidz up for you tomorrow, so you can get an idea of how vast the genre is with all its many subgenres, and so you can find the sound you dig the most. ^_^

Sprocket is a good DJ.

He's a good friend of mine. :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 15
1200 micrograms :ahee:
Not sure if I'd ever go to a live event myself. They seem a bit too intense.
Reply 16

October? If you're going to SuperSonik ShinDig V2 then fancy pre drinking with my lot? :biggrin: (Oh, and how about a dance off? :p:)

cant believe im reading someone talk about psy raves and the supersonik shindig on TSR haha, so many people i know are playing. looks like its gonna be sick! 100k of rig brapbrap
Original post by sugar3str

Original post by sugar3str
cant believe im reading someone talk about psy raves and the supersonik shindig on TSR haha, so many people i know are playing. looks like its gonna be sick! 100k of rig brapbrap

I know, lol.

SuperSonik Shindig looks cool, but i prefer the look of elixer of life tbh, bloody pricey though! :frown:
Reply 18
I wish Iceland knew what psy-trance was. :frown:
Reply 19
Pics of a psytrance party I attended on the Isle of Wight not so long ago:

£20 for 3 days of music that went on for 24 hours. Some of the best artists in the forest psy subgenre.

As you can hopefully tell from ze pics, it was aaaaabsolutely stunning, and was a total affirmation that psytrance parties really are the best events EVER!
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest