The Student Room Group

What's your mindset going into results day?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by infernalcradle

I've already had 3 dreams re: results day already....

I got rejected like a bitch in my first one

and I got into uni in the other 2....

not to mention the fact I'm absolutly bricking it

What uni and what course have you applied to? My firm is A*AA for Imperial, but it has to be an A* in maths but I know I have missed the A* or at least I'm pretty sure. However, in the interview they said that it doesn't matter about my maths and they're aware that I struggle, but they are more interested in how I think and if I think like an engineer, then proceeded to ask me some questions to make me think outside of the box. A couple of days later I got the offer. Do you think they'd still accept me with an A in maths or that there's a chance? Sorry that I'm asking you as I know you or anyone else could never tell me my fate but I feel that's what I'm resorting to with this panic! I also took the STEP maths exam just because I thought why not, but I only had 2 lessons for STEP and outside did no work on it til the day because it didn't count towards my offer, it was just a leisure thing. Surprisingly felt it went alright on the day and I understood some of the questions. However, I may not have done well because I had no lessons and no work to do on it before the actual day so potentially giving them my results to STEP could either make them impressed, or brand me as someone who is really not good at maths because they saw my STEP results assuming I'd been tutored well in it beforehand.

I'm so scared!! My insurance offer is AAA at Uni of Southampton so either way there is pressure to get As all round!
Original post by purple.rain
What uni and what course have you applied to? My firm is A*AA for Imperial, but it has to be an A* in maths but I know I have missed the A* or at least I'm pretty sure. However, in the interview they said that it doesn't matter about my maths and they're aware that I struggle, but they are more interested in how I think and if I think like an engineer, then proceeded to ask me some questions to make me think outside of the box. A couple of days later I got the offer. Do you think they'd still accept me with an A in maths or that there's a chance? Sorry that I'm asking you as I know you or anyone else could never tell me my fate but I feel that's what I'm resorting to with this panic! I also took the STEP maths exam just because I thought why not, but I only had 2 lessons for STEP and outside did no work on it til the day because it didn't count towards my offer, it was just a leisure thing. Surprisingly felt it went alright on the day and I understood some of the questions. However, I may not have done well because I had no lessons and no work to do on it before the actual day so potentially giving them my results to STEP could either make them impressed, or brand me as someone who is really not good at maths because they saw my STEP results assuming I'd been tutored well in it beforehand.

I'm so scared!! My insurance offer is AAA at Uni of Southampton so either way there is pressure to get As all round!

my firm and insurance is AAA....firm is southampton and insurance is UEA (Although i would never go there)

I'M SO SCARED!!!!!!!

Damn OCR biology for doing this to me!!!!!!!

my firm and insurance is AAA....firm is southampton and insurance is UEA (Although i would never go there)

I'M SO SCARED!!!!!!!

Damn OCR biology for doing this to me!!!!!!!

Southampton is an amazing uni with a great course for me so I would be happy to go there, but you know that feeling of 'this is what I could have done..' that you get when you don't achieve what you could have got? Oh I know how you feel, that's how I feel about Edexcel Maths scaring the hell out of me! But I reckon even if I was pretty much guaranteed a place somewhere with the entry requirements, I would still find some way to worry about it somehow. What course are you doing?
Reply 43
I felt my exams went ok, but then doubt myself so much.
I think "Oh, I could have made my firm" shortly followed by the "Maybe I've made my insurance" thought and then the dreaded "I'm a failure and a reject from university".

My parents used to care about my academics, but now they don't really play a part. After my GCSEs were chosen (by my mum mostly) she sort of imprinted the idea in my head that I'm a straight A student, which I need, so I've risen to the challenge and my requirements are AAA.

I resat AS modules this year to bring my chances of getting AAA to a higher level, and resat all the modules I didn't get As in. The thought that I've actually done 8 exams this time round (I do 4 subjects - mistake) and tried so hard makes me think "Great, I may have done it", and then I'm haunted by the idea that I may actually have failed and as a result my efforts would be for nothing.
I couldn't have done any more, but obviously, the insecure idiot inside of me thinks "YOU SHOULD HAVE STARTED REVISION SOONER" when I started mid-April and didn't stop until the end of June.

My parents don't know when my results are out, so there's no pressure in terms of them hassling me (this may change as my sister has her AS results out on the same day and she'll most likely inform them what's happening on that day) but more than anything, I want to do this for myself, because I've tried so hard. I know everyone tries hard, but the extent of drama that I put myself through. I read endless textbooks, searched the internet for years and even stopped going on Facebook for 2 months (I know, madness).

I'm sorry for the rant, but it upsets me and confuses me how I for example when I went into one exam, I asked a person "What are you hoping comes up?" and they said "___, because that's all I revised". It would so terribly hurt and haunt me if they got a place and I didn't meet my requirements after all the effort I made to learn everything in my subjects!

Oh, imagine if life was fair. Pfft.
Good luck to you all, it seems as if I'm not the only one who has brought themselves down. I've sought advice from people to calm down and tell me "Not to think about it", but I know and you know that it's impossible not to think about. More than anything, it's our life, our future. I'm pretty sure you guys will succeed.

Good Luck to you all, see you on the bright side? I hope so. (: x
Southampton is an amazing uni with a great course for me so I would be happy to go there, but you know that feeling of 'this is what I could have done..' that you get when you don't achieve what you could have got? Oh I know how you feel, that's how I feel about Edexcel Maths scaring the hell out of me! But I reckon even if I was pretty much guaranteed a place somewhere with the entry requirements, I would still find some way to worry about it somehow. What course are you doing?

This a million times....

I know if I'd actually given it enough time, instead of going crazy over chemistry...I wouldn't be bricking it so badly right now....

I'll be off (hopefully) to do medicine....which is why I can't resit as medical schools don't accept resit people :frown:
Original post by lizolove

I felt my exams went ok, but then doubt myself so much.
I think "Oh, I could have made my firm" shortly followed by the "Maybe I've made my insurance" thought and then the dreaded "I'm a failure and a reject from university".

My parents used to care about my academics, but now they don't really play a part. After my GCSEs were chosen (by my mum mostly) she sort of imprinted the idea in my head that I'm a straight A student, which I need, so I've risen to the challenge and my requirements are AAA.

I resat AS modules this year to bring my chances of getting AAA to a higher level, and resat all the modules I didn't get As in. The thought that I've actually done 8 exams this time round (I do 4 subjects - mistake) and tried so hard makes me think "Great, I may have done it", and then I'm haunted by the idea that I may actually have failed and as a result my efforts would be for nothing.
I couldn't have done any more, but obviously, the insecure idiot inside of me thinks "YOU SHOULD HAVE STARTED REVISION SOONER" when I started mid-April and didn't stop until the end of June.

My parents don't know when my results are out, so there's no pressure in terms of them hassling me (this may change as my sister has her AS results out on the same day and she'll most likely inform them what's happening on that day) but more than anything, I want to do this for myself, because I've tried so hard. I know everyone tries hard, but the extent of drama that I put myself through. I read endless textbooks, searched the internet for years and even stopped going on Facebook for 2 months (I know, madness).

I'm sorry for the rant, but it upsets me and confuses me how I for example when I went into one exam, I asked a person "What are you hoping comes up?" and they said "___, because that's all I revised". It would so terribly hurt and haunt me if they got a place and I didn't meet my requirements after all the effort I made to learn everything in my subjects!

Oh, imagine if life was fair. Pfft.
Good luck to you all, it seems as if I'm not the only one who has brought themselves down. I've sought advice from people to calm down and tell me "Not to think about it", but I know and you know that it's impossible not to think about. More than anything, it's our life, our future. I'm pretty sure you guys will succeed.

Good Luck to you all, see you on the bright side? I hope so. (: x

Your post... pretty much expresses my life and how I feel in a nutshell at the moment.
Reply 46
Your post... pretty much expresses my life and how I feel in a nutshell at the moment.

So it's not just me. (':
I'm so scared. );

So it's not just me. (':
I'm so scared. );

I'm terrified that I haven't made my offer. And that if I haven't then they won't let me in.
Reply 48
That I've got a U in everything. Anything else is a bonus.

At least I'm guaranteed to not be disappointed, eh?
Reply 49
I'm terrified that I haven't made my offer. And that if I haven't then they won't let me in.

Know the feeling.
I literally just want this more than anything in life.
I don't care about anything but my academics!
This is everything to me, and to watch it slip through my fingers will kill me.

I'm sure you've met your offer, what did you need and for what subject? x
Reply 50
Original post by Pn94
That I've got a U in everything. Anything else is a bonus.

At least I'm guaranteed to not be disappointed, eh?

I doubt that's true, but I know the pessimistic approach, I do the same thing.
Always expect the worst and never be disappointed. It's different for this though, it's like "Expect not to get into university and die" going through my head. );

Know the feeling.
I literally just want this more than anything in life.
I don't care about anything but my academics!
This is everything to me, and to watch it slip through my fingers will kill me.

I'm sure you've met your offer, what did you need and for what subject? x

I needed an A* in maths, A in physics and french. Reading through the markschemes published here on TSR made and uploaded by reliable members, I am almost definite that I have not achieved the A*. Very confused and scared though seeing as my firm choice uni don't seem to completely understand what it takes to get an A*. I said, you need 90% or over in these 2 particular modules. They then said 'no, you need 90% overall in your modules to get an A*' and I know for a fact that's not right. I've probably made 90% overall I just messed up in one particular module. Then there's the fact my interviewer on the day said that they didn't mind about my maths weakness, and that they could teach me all that I needed to know about maths once I was there, that they just wanted to test my ability to think like an engineer before letting me in. So they asked me some questions to test my thinking and I got my offer a couple of days later. Those things give me hope, but other people who say 'Imperial never let people in who miss their offers' scares the hell out of me. It's for Aeronautical Engineering, with French and a year abroad in France. I want it so much. Glad I'm not alone in this worry. What did you need and for which subject? x
Reply 52
I needed an A* in maths, A in physics and french. Reading through the markschemes published here on TSR made and uploaded by reliable members, I am almost definite that I have not achieved the A*. Very confused and scared though seeing as my firm choice uni don't seem to completely understand what it takes to get an A*. I said, you need 90% or over in these 2 particular modules. They then said 'no, you need 90% overall in your modules to get an A*' and I know for a fact that's not right. I've probably made 90% overall I just messed up in one particular module. Then there's the fact my interviewer on the day said that they didn't mind about my maths weakness, and that they could teach me all that I needed to know about maths once I was there, that they just wanted to test my ability to think like an engineer before letting me in. So they asked me some questions to test my thinking and I got my offer a couple of days later. Those things give me hope, but other people who say 'Imperial never let people in who miss their offers' scares the hell out of me. It's for Aeronautical Engineering, with French and a year abroad in France. I want it so much. Glad I'm not alone in this worry. What did you need and for which subject? x

Honestly, I'm sure you've got it. I need AAA for Law. I wish we were a few years older. People got CCC and got on AAA courses. I wish they could interview us as opposed to relying on the stats. The grades are only to ensure we can cope with the course, and I swear I can, and my grades in school and work prove that! I am committed and these exams may not reflect that.
It peeves me off how some people won't even try and will walk away with a place in university that they won't care for and will try and blag.

Oh, maybe I can help with that. Depending on how the university likes your application depends on what'll happen. E.g. If you stood out, they're more likely to take a committed person with AAA over someone else who may go through clearing that they've never met.
ALSO if you're with AQA, you need 90% average on the A2 modules, but 90% or more in each module for OCR. So if you get 85% and 95% in AQA, you can get the A*, but if you do the same in OCR, you can't.
I read that ages ago. I was one mark from an A in one module and can now never get an A*, silly.

Honestly, I'm sure you've got it. I need AAA for Law. I wish we were a few years older. People got CCC and got on AAA courses. I wish they could interview us as opposed to relying on the stats. The grades are only to ensure we can cope with the course, and I swear I can, and my grades in school and work prove that! I am committed and these exams may not reflect that.
It peeves me off how some people won't even try and will walk away with a place in university that they won't care for and will try and blag.

Oh, maybe I can help with that. Depending on how the university likes your application depends on what'll happen. E.g. If you stood out, they're more likely to take a committed person with AAA over someone else who may go through clearing that they've never met.
ALSO if you're with AQA, you need 90% average on the A2 modules, but 90% or more in each module for OCR. So if you get 85% and 95% in AQA, you can get the A*, but if you do the same in OCR, you can't.
I read that ages ago. I was one mark from an A in one module and can now never get an A*, silly.

It's Edexcel for me. Thanks for making me feel a bit better about my chances, though I'm not so sure about my actual gaining of the place. It makes me feel sick thinking about it, then I start convincing myself that I haven't even met the As for my other two subjects so I continue to worry about that. I completely agree with you in every way basically, and it's relieving to find someone who feels the same. If I hadn't used all my rep up today I would have positively repped you, you've been very kind. If I'm worried to the extent that I am at this point in time, I hate to think what kind of wreck I will be on results morning, or the night before.
Reply 54
It's Edexcel for me. Thanks for making me feel a bit better about my chances, though I'm not so sure about my actual gaining of the place. It makes me feel sick thinking about it, then I start convincing myself that I haven't even met the As for my other two subjects so I continue to worry about that. I completely agree with you in every way basically, and it's relieving to find someone who feels the same. If I hadn't used all my rep up today I would have positively repped you, you've been very kind. If I'm worried to the extent that I am at this point in time, I hate to think what kind of wreck I will be on results morning, or the night before.

I was going to pos rep you too, but I'm out. Stupid rep system!
You've helped me too.
I know however much anyone talks to you will still think about missing the grade, it's natural, I get it too! I can't really help with the not thinking about it aspect, I mean, I can't not think about it either! It's our future. Tomorrow, well, today, I'm going to sort out a back-up plan. Chances are I might not use it, but it's better safe than sorry.

I am the exact same way. As a result, I'm going to modify my sleep (deprive myself) to ensure being able to sleep on results day eve (I'm an insomniac, as you may have guessed).
It'll kill me if I miss out, but at the same time, I think I could have done it. It's so horrid this situation. All I can advise is getting a back-up plan ready and sorting that out. I mean, if you miss your A*, they will most likely take you, but if not, resit the modules and ask to defer your place. They will defer it and you may have to pay higher fees, but if you want to go there, that's sorted. There are more options.

Also, don't stress yourself. Think about how you've actually tried and you could have done nothing more, regardless. I mean, I am happy that I've tried, and part of me thinks "What if I'm not good enough?", but we can't tell that yet! Distract yourself. Every time you think about it, change what you are doing.
I plan to leave this website tomorrow or something, because whenever I go on, it upsets me!
I don't care about mine because I have an unconditional already.

But I'm still really nervous about results day, because my best friend of many years needs to get quite substantial results or she won't get to uni. And she really wants to get to uni.

I was going to pos rep you too, but I'm out. Stupid rep system!
You've helped me too.
I know however much anyone talks to you will still think about missing the grade, it's natural, I get it too! I can't really help with the not thinking about it aspect, I mean, I can't not think about it either! It's our future. Tomorrow, well, today, I'm going to sort out a back-up plan. Chances are I might not use it, but it's better safe than sorry.

I am the exact same way. As a result, I'm going to modify my sleep (deprive myself) to ensure being able to sleep on results day eve (I'm an insomniac, as you may have guessed).
It'll kill me if I miss out, but at the same time, I think I could have done it. It's so horrid this situation. All I can advise is getting a back-up plan ready and sorting that out. I mean, if you miss your A*, they will most likely take you, but if not, resit the modules and ask to defer your place. They will defer it and you may have to pay higher fees, but if you want to go there, that's sorted. There are more options.

Also, don't stress yourself. Think about how you've actually tried and you could have done nothing more, regardless. I mean, I am happy that I've tried, and part of me thinks "What if I'm not good enough?", but we can't tell that yet! Distract yourself. Every time you think about it, change what you are doing.
I plan to leave this website tomorrow or something, because whenever I go on, it upsets me!

I am also practically nocturnal.. average time I go to bed is probably 4am. Some nights 2am, others 7am. It depends on what I'm worrying about at the time and to what extent I'm worried about it, as well as if I have access to the internet or not. Wow I sound sad :tongue:

I always think about what you mentioned in an earlier post, about how people found it so easy to get into uni in previous years, yet recently entry requirements have rocketed and I wonder how on earth this is fair. I feel the same way you do, about parents, results, uni in general so I added you as a friend so I could ask you how you've done come August 18th.. we can cry together whether it's in happiness or sorrow. Ahhhh hate thinking about it!! Should probably sleep now but I can't and will most likely only have another nightmare about it.

I just read the end of your post.. unfortunately you can't delete your student room account, I have searched for that option before. However you could just log out and force yourself not to log back in again. In addition to that, you could just come back on results day and discuss options with other people, or your happiness and relief in your success. Please stay positive ^_^ seeing posts on this site upsets me too, but also when I find people like you I don't feel so alone in that x
Reply 57
Should I go into college to collect my results or should I check on my college email......I'm afraid I won't open it :frown:
Reply 58
I am also practically nocturnal.. average time I go to bed is probably 4am. Some nights 2am, others 7am. It depends on what I'm worrying about at the time and to what extent I'm worried about it, as well as if I have access to the internet or not. Wow I sound sad :tongue:

I always think about what you mentioned in an earlier post, about how people found it so easy to get into uni in previous years, yet recently entry requirements have rocketed and I wonder how on earth this is fair. I feel the same way you do, about parents, results, uni in general so I added you as a friend so I could ask you how you've done come August 18th.. we can cry together whether it's in happiness or sorrow. Ahhhh hate thinking about it!! Should probably sleep now but I can't and will most likely only have another nightmare about it.

I just read the end of your post.. unfortunately you can't delete your student room account, I have searched for that option before. However you could just log out and force yourself not to log back in again. In addition to that, you could just come back on results day and discuss options with other people, or your happiness and relief in your success. Please stay positive ^_^ seeing posts on this site upsets me too, but also when I find people like you I don't feel so alone in that x

You're like my twin. (':
I went to bed the other day at 12pm (midday) for 6 hours and then got up again. :P
I will most likely turn in at 6am. It feels like the days go quicker when I sleep in the day and stay awake in the morning, one step closer to the 18th to end this. I swear, my immune system is weakening because of the stress.

Glad for the add, shall accept/add you too. (;
If you don't hear from me, I'll be planning my death somewhere, seriously. :P
Yeah! I keep thinking "IF I DON'T GET IN I'LL NEVER BE ABLE TO REMOVE MY THREADS AND POSTS SAYING I WANT TO GO TO UNIVERSITY" - I'm psychotic.
I may just avoid these kind of threads. I am so stressed and think I'm becoming ill with it. I threw up the other day after thinking about it excessively. Kind of cool, I didn't know I could do that (throw up by thinking of something).

I don't feel so alone now too, thank you! All who I speak to need lower grades etc, or don't care so much about university, so it makes me feel alone! :eek:
Reply 59
Original post by KillBill
Should I go into college to collect my results or should I check on my college email......I'm afraid I won't open it :frown:

Track first, it begins at 6am. If your results change to unconditional, you got the place, if not, unsuccessful, you didn't, but at least then you have time to get your act together and sort it out. I'd rather find out bad news by myself than surrounded by people at school.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending