Getting tongue pierced with tonsilitis

Watch
Hattie.
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Hi all,

Have got quite a nasty case of tonsilitis at the moment, on about day 3 now - very sore throat, swollen tonsils and white patches on my tonsils. I'm on antibiotics (phenoxymethypenicillin) for 7 days (started today). It hasn't affected my tongue at all.

I've wanted to get my tongue pierced for a long while and I'm driving my friend to get his tattoo done tomorrow, so thought I could coincide. I'm a fairly heavy smoker too and they say you should cut down after you get your tongue pierced and also drink mostly liquids, 2 things that I'm already doing with this tonsilitis. Either it's a really bad idea to get it pierced and risk an infection whilst I've already got tonsilitis or it's prime time in terms of the aftercare (not smoking/eating).

Anyone got any advice?
greeneyedgirl
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
BAD idea. Open wound...infection in same area. Totally not cool.

Also you shouldn't just cut down on ****, you should completely stop. Does not help it heal.
radiated yoghurt
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Whilst I don't know anything about tongue piercings, it's better to be safe than sorry and wait to do it rather than getting an infection.

You can always get it pierced at a later date and go off smoking for a bit then. That is flexible, your tonsillitis isn't.
bri_lynn07
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I have tonsillitis right now and I’ve just got my tongue pierced, as long as you keep it cleaned after you eat and gargle mouthwash while you clean it, it’ll be okay
elixirhtc
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I think you shouldn't waste your time as you are suffering from sore throat , swelling etc. just visit to hospital ...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (3)
3.61%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (11)
13.25%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (16)
19.28%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (9)
10.84%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (29)
34.94%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (15)
18.07%

Watched Threads