what was your first day at uni like?

Watch
rolling
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
I'm starting uni on September,so I was wondering what was your first day at uni like?
I'm here to listen all these horror stories
Go ahead and share your experience
Aack
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I was really excited throughout most of the 4 hour journey, but when I saw the signs for the city the uni was in, I was ****ting myself.

But 3 years later, the whole thing was awesome.
AlexejKir
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
well.. it was awesome.. im from Czech Republic, so it took me about 12 hours to get on the campus.. but it was fking amazing.. then ive met another czech student, we went to the freshers bar crawl, met loads of new ppl and one year later, we are still really close (we call ourselves - International Freaks)

so hey, its up to you.. if you decide u want to have a great time, I assure you, that you will
olivia_w92
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Scaaary at first, I remember feeling sick when we drove into campus and wanting to go back. Getting my unicard and key to my room felt so exciting though, and meeting all my flatmates really wasn't that scary at all!
It was so strange waking up the next morning in my new bed in my new room thinking, what the hell, i'm at uni!?
Cicerao
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
The actual first day at UNIVERSITY? As opposed to accommodation? Nothing at all happened except a crappy welcome lecture. Don't try to imagine what it'll be like, mind. It'll end up being totally different.
cheekymon999
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
in the same boat as OP! very nervous but also very excited :L cant imagine what its gonna be like!

Edit: Negged for that????

Edit: why am i still getting negged for this xD its ridiculous! i never even said anything wrong :L

Edit: hahahaahaha

Edit: *yawn*
MilkyC
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
All the guys are going to want to be me and all the girls are going to want to sleep with me come this September. Should be interesting.

haha
xoxAngel_Kxox
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I was terrified! I was the first one in my flat & was too scared to go and speak to everyone, so had to wait for flatmates to turn up.. then went to try & find a Tesco with one of the girls and I got lost ha ha but never mind. Everything was a bit awkward for a couple of days, awkward silences and the like, but as soon as fresher's week got into full swing it was like we'd known each other ages and everything was fine!

I actually cried myself to sleep on the first night and just wanted to ring my Mum and get her to come for me!! I was so close to doing it, but am VERY glad I didn't.
rolling
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
(Original post by Cicerao)
The actual first day at UNIVERSITY? As opposed to accommodation? Nothing at all happened except a crappy welcome lecture. Don't try to imagine what it'll be like, mind. It'll end up being totally different.
Yeah,I meant the first lecture at University.I am more scared about studies than accommodation/social life etc. Never had problems with these things

Negged for whaaaaaaaaaaat? :P
Cicerao
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by rolling)
Yeah,I meant the first lecture at University.I am more scared about studies than accommodation/social life etc. Never had problems with these things
Well, you'll start with introduction lectures and then your first real lecture will likely be pretty simple, just the basic foundation. They do ease you in, don't worry.
Jack.O
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
It was a little weird to be honest ... in our first creative writing workshop, we were asked to write our own epitaphs!
Colour Me Pretty
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox)
I was terrified! I was the first one in my flat & was too scared to go and speak to everyone, so had to wait for flatmates to turn up.. then went to try & find a Tesco with one of the girls and I got lost ha ha but never mind. Everything was a bit awkward for a couple of days, awkward silences and the like, but as soon as fresher's week got into full swing it was like we'd known each other ages and everything was fine!

I actually cried myself to sleep on the first night and just wanted to ring my Mum and get her to come for me!! I was so close to doing it, but am VERY glad I didn't.
I'm sorry, I chuckled a tiny little bit.

(Original post by Jack.O)
It was a little weird to be honest ... in our first creative writing workshop, we were asked to write our own epitaphs!
That's amazing!
SirMasterKey
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
The opening lectures were quite boring to be honest as they were introductory. Some interesting bits but then there was 2 on how to use the library (I do a joint degree and so had one for both parts, both were the exact same D
xoxAngel_Kxox
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Colour Me Pretty)
I'm sorry, I chuckled a tiny little bit.
True though! Never felt so homesick and lonely in my life. Never happened before, never happened since.

Best bit is I'd only moved half an hour away!!
Colour Me Pretty
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox)
True though! Never felt so homesick and lonely in my life. Never happened before, never happened since.

Best bit is I'd only moved half an hour away!!
Haha, I'm only an hour from home so hopefully I won't feel too homesick!
I'll definitely miss my friends, though.
2Plate!1
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by MilkyC)
All the guys are going to want to be me and all the girls are going to want to sleep with me come this September. Should be interesting.

haha
son, i am proud

would +rep, but reached max for today
member327593
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Haha, scary. I drove with my family to uni, and remember sitting at the back wanting to cry as my dad did his best to try and make conversation to calm me down.

When i got there, i felt better when i saw my room was actually really nice and so were my flatmates. Soon after we got drunk and went to the su, came back talked some more to each other, about how lucky we felt that we all really like each other lol.

And that was that You'll be fine OP, just be relaxed, talk to people, have a couple of drinks and have a good time! Don't think too much xx

TIPS

- dont be overconfident , its intimdiating to others just be friendly but not OTT

- please dont start off with 'rules' already, saying stuff like 'dont nick my food' it gives such a bad impression esp. when you've all just met each other, its just negativty, leave crap like that for when it actually happens!

- bring some drinks

- leave your door open, play some music to create a friendly atm in your room

- dont hesitate to knock on someones door to say hi, its not weird cause everyone will be doing it

- enjoy it, its probably gonna be one of the most memorable days of your life that you're gonne be telling your kids about , so make it worth telling

The only regret I have from my first year, is that I didnt talk to and make friends with as many people as I could have done. I stupidly thought that the friends I made at freshers week were ones that i'll probably stick with for the rest of the year and thought i had 'enough' but some people just drifted apart when they got boyfriends/girlfriends and I was left with not as many friends as i should have had. If I could do the year again I would try and make as many friends as possible. Looking back there were some really cool people that I think I would have got on really well with.

Good luck guys!! xx
LilMonster
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Hope it all goes fine!
humble_bumble
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
It was interesting, back then, everyone checked everyone out, who looks nice, who looks cool, who looks bla bla etc etc. And everyone was so friendly. It's amazing how in the first two weeks the people I met, I'm still best friends with after 3 years!
2ndClass
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Erm found out that 2/3 of the class went to private school and sounded like Joanna Lumley in the Privileged Car Insurance advert.

awkward.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (567)
34.26%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (681)
41.15%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (332)
20.06%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (75)
4.53%

Watched Threads