The Student Room Group

Is Europe behind America culturally and technologically?

I think it is. Europe seems so attached to its history, but what is so special about the thought that hundreds of years ago something significant happened at that spot? The cities look so old and dingy.

Compare this image:

To this image:

For the 20% infiltration of European music etc into our market, American culture permeates most of European culture, but it's always slower getting there. We always enjoy the best video games, films, technology etc before you do because it's always later being released in Europe.

Is Europe behind America in those respects?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
No.
Reply 2
Original post by Drewski
No.

I think you'll find it is.
Europeans in general are cultured and pretty much have the same knowledge of technology Americans have.

Americans have little or no culture compared to Europeans. The UK had some of the best bands from the start and pretty much influenced most of the successful artists you see in America currently. If you ask me the US just seems to be leeching off other countries and stating their the successful ones. I don't hate Americans but their prejudice views about this topic of "being top of the world" annoys me. They think they are better than everybody else in the world and think they invented everything. Some Americans are too ignorant to understand that there are hundreds of other countries around the world and that they are not the only ones ahead.
Reply 4
Well it's very easy to destroy something and build a skyscraper on its place instead of keeping the authentic atmosphere which has been there for centuries. Personally, I prefer the first picture. It's all about what you're used to.

But I think that America is technologycally more developed than Europe. Games and films are not everything though. :wink:
Reply 5
Original post by Otkem
I think you'll find it is.

OK, I'll bite.

Quantify culture. Go on. I dare you to try. Without being biased, without spouting nonsensical nationalistic propaganda.
America's got no significant history beyond the last 250 years, of course they'd focus on what you're talking about.
Reply 7
Original post by Drewski
OK, I'll bite.

Quantify culture. Go on. I dare you to try. Without being biased, without spouting nonsensical nationalistic propaganda.

Culture. American culture is built on picking up onself from the bootstraps and making success for yourself, rather than relying on the state.

America doesn't have a monarchy.
Reply 8
I can't speak for technology, as I have a very limited knowledge of the subject, but to suggest that America is more culturally enriched than Europe, is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard in my entire life.
Reply 9
In terms of infrastructure, technology, general cleanliness and modernisation the US is advanced. A lot of fashion, restaurant outlets and music that originates in the US comes to the UK too.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 10
Are you American?

European and American culture is completely different so you can't really say one is behind the other. A lot of European culture derives from its history, yet there's not really any significant American history before European colonisation which is why Europe is "so attached to its history". As for technology, most of the developed world is pretty equal, though Japan probably has an edge.
Reply 11
Original post by Otkem
Culture. American culture is built on picking up onself from the bootstraps and making success for yourself, rather than relying on the state.

And the prize for worst interpretation of the English language goes to....

Do yourself a favour and get banned already, then go outside and experience the real world.
Original post by Otkem

That's the weirdest definition of culture I think I've ever heard...

And everyone knows America doesn't have a monarchy... You don't have to have a monarchy to be nationalist...
Op obviously hasn't traveled alone.
Reply 14
Well, this is a massive fail for the OP.

Admittedly, America probably has a greater spread of the most advanced technology and easier access to it, but I wouldn't say that makes them more technologically advanced. As for culture, well, your attempt on that was awful.

I prefer the first picture anyway.
Original post by WoWZa
I love the UK, but I went to a PhD conference most of the delegates were American and they are just so much more friendlier and outgoing than in the UK generally. The girls are hotter too.

generally I've always heard about the friendliness of Americans, never the friendliness of Europeans.

However, to the OP, to compare how far whichever is behind the other or whatever based on what buildings they have standing and whether they look pretty and say that's culture? Urm...
On that note, I do not believe that Europe is behind America.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 16
Does america even have a proper culture? Or a national identity even?
On a personal basis I can tell they make very bad movies and their literary culture is in the hands of morons like Stephen King and Sidney Sheldon. Just saying.
Reply 17
Original post by catface I
Does america even have a proper culture? Or a national identity even?
On a personal basis I can tell they make very bad movies and their literary culture is in the hands of morons like Stephen King and Sidney Sheldon. Just saying.

What about authors like Plath or poets like Robert Frost?

Course they have culture.

Original post by strawberry
generally I've always heard about the friendliness of Americans, never the friendliness of Europeans.

However, to the OP, to compare how far whichever is behind the other or whatever based on what buildings they have standing? I'd say that's definitely NOT a good comparison.
On that note, I do not believe that Europe is behind America.

The friendliness of the Irish is legendary...?
Reply 18
Depends on what you define culture as. Culture is the past essentially, its traditions that are passed down generation to generation and are used thoroughly in communities and countries. Its expanded to include heritage as well, including ancestory and buildings in the area of residence. When you say Europe lives in the past by denoting its old buildings, your essentially showing its culture.

Lets not forget American culture is 50% European from all the immigrants that landed over there, and 50% commercial - where business's somehow easily brainwash a good portion of the population to think something isnt good, until its supersized. Be it a meal or a car.
I'm not sure about culturally, but it certainly takes technology too long to reach Europe.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending