The Student Room Group

What would you consider to be 'good' A level grades?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
Personally I don't think it matters what grades you get, as long as you meet your offer. Whether your offer be AAA or BCC
I would consider good A-level grades.
Reply 162
Grades that get you into your university are good :smile:
Original post by Jonesdawiz
I would happily travel to your area and shake your hand sir! I do think your average person are a bit hit high though :x

Haha thank you :smile:

I think that may of been my TSR snobbery kicking in, once a TSR'er always a TSR'er. :s
Good results are results that get you into a good course at university.
What constitutes a "good course" is highly subjective. In my eyes, any STEM subject at most universities are definitely worthwhile (you idiots who dream of living inside a Cambridge professor's rectum should note that there are many many people who have highly successful careers due to their subject choice and work ethic, despite going to less prestigious universities -I know PhD students who went to places as low down in those league tables as Strathclyde who were doing the research for their doctorate at places like Warwick and Oxford. And you've all heard of the Higg's Boson? Peter Higgs studied for his undergraduate degree and postgraduate degrees at KCL and is now probably one of the more well-known theoretical physicists. Anyway, back to the point...). STEM subjects pay well and we need more graduates in those subjects. You've done well for yourself to get onto a STEM course in my eyes as long as it's a half decent place.
Arts subjects are different I feel. A degree in English literature is useless in the sense that it doesn't lead anywhere in particular, other than a generic graduate job. I don't care how competitive it is either, because at the end of the day, your A*s count for nothing in the real world (and I'm saying this from experience). If you are going for an arts degree, then I would say that good grades are the ones that will get you into a prestigious university, because you're going to be relying on the brand name come graduation time.

It's all a bit crass saying "A*A*A is amazing"and "AAB is poor". The only time you have poor grades is when you under perform by your own standard and the only time you have amazing grades is when you pleasantly surprise yourself. It's all irrelevant really, The only important thing is that it gets you onto the next step.
Original post by Spungo
Why have you grouped 7 A*'s and an offer from Cambridge/Oxford together when courses at either will generally rely on A*AA for A levels?

e: If you're going to neg, at least have the decency to quote and reply.

I haven't negged you. But I think you might have been negged for missing the obvious irony and sarcasm in the post that you quoted. Just a guess. Apparently, TSR'ers don't like wasted irony :tongue:
I think it's unfair to say that AAB, ABB, AAA is good, excellent e.t.c because a lot of the time depending on what subject you have those grades in depends on how 'good' they actually are. For example if you're taking maths and get a B that is considered as outstanding as it is a HIGHLY academic subject. As well as doing any of the sciences, English or History. Although people hate me for saying this, universities do consider the more 'creative' subjects as being easier as they are "less academic" and before anyone shoots me down for saying this I myself study drama and theatre studies, ironically my most demading subject.
Depends on the subject obviously, eg chemistry and maths are harder than say general studies.

I'd say good grades are the ones that meet the RG uni minimum requirements.
DDD is average because it is within the 50-59th percentile range.
CCC is above average because it is within the 60-69th percentile range.

UMS points are there for a reason; and there is a reason why a normal distribution exists!

Claiming that BBC is average is unnecessarily deflating the average score because a B is within the 70-79th percentile, which is unequivocally above average.
Reply 169
Most UK Pakistanis perform very poorly academically, the only UK South Asians who are known for high performance are Bengalis and Indians
Original post by Venomilys
I got AABD at AS, that is quite poor considering that I'm paki.
Hi there. Your results are amazing, don’t be upset or disappointed with your results. With those a level grades you will definitely get into university no doubt about it.

It all depends on the universities you’ve applied for, their grade requirements, how much they like your personal statement (and interview if you have one) etc

They can always make exceptions in terms of grades into acceptance depending on various circumstances.

I wish you the best of luck!
Original post by Amywoody2009
What is considered to be above average (which I'd say is good?) and what is below average? I got A* B C for my A levels, what would this be considered?

Hi there
Reply 171
KCL is a prestigious University. University ranking matters for STEM (excluding medicine) just as much, that's why you have people coming out with 1sts from low ranking Unis, when they got BCC in their A Levels.

Original post by JayTeeKay
Good results are results that get you into a good course at university.
What constitutes a "good course" is highly subjective. In my eyes, any STEM subject at most universities are definitely worthwhile (you idiots who dream of living inside a Cambridge professor's rectum should note that there are many many people who have highly successful careers due to their subject choice and work ethic, despite going to less prestigious universities -I know PhD students who went to places as low down in those league tables as Strathclyde who were doing the research for their doctorate at places like Warwick and Oxford. And you've all heard of the Higg's Boson? Peter Higgs studied for his undergraduate degree and postgraduate degrees at KCL and is now probably one of the more well-known theoretical physicists. Anyway, back to the point...). STEM subjects pay well and we need more graduates in those subjects. You've done well for yourself to get onto a STEM course in my eyes as long as it's a half decent place.
Arts subjects are different I feel. A degree in English literature is useless in the sense that it doesn't lead anywhere in particular, other than a generic graduate job. I don't care how competitive it is either, because at the end of the day, your A*s count for nothing in the real world (and I'm saying this from experience). If you are going for an arts degree, then I would say that good grades are the ones that will get you into a prestigious university, because you're going to be relying on the brand name come graduation time.

It's all a bit crass saying "A*A*A is amazing"and "AAB is poor". The only time you have poor grades is when you under perform by your own standard and the only time you have amazing grades is when you pleasantly surprise yourself. It's all irrelevant really, The only important thing is that it gets you onto the next step.
i got a BCC physics, chem and bio (cie)Is that good or bad?
Reply 173
Original post by tehniat
i got a BCC physics, chem and bio (cie)Is that good or bad?

Above U.K. average, but I wouldn’t be particularly happy with them. Most of the unis that have those kind of entry requirements dont rank very high. Having said that, well done on your results, the jump from GCSE to A Level sciences is very big.
Original post by Amywoody2009
Well I don't know anyone thats done 5 A2 levels, there isn't really much point in that.. apart from being able to show off

I know 2 people like that
one got A*A*A*A*A and went MIT
another got A*A*A*A B or C
both people found Further Maths hard I guess.
Anyone reading this should find it totally nonsense grades determine what you'll do for your entire life. Isn't it true you can improve just about everything as long as money and time is in play if you not got any.

Quick Reply

Latest