kirkie
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
I want to know if there are persons in this field, or well knowledgeable on the subject, that are currently available and willing to assist other students in completing this course...

... by answering questions or providing guidance... not necessarily doing all their classwork.
Mythic Madness
Badges: 12
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by kirkie)
I want to know if there are persons in this field, or well knowledgeable on the subject, that are currently available and willing to assist other students in completing this course...

... by answering questions or providing guidance... not necessarily doing all their classwork.
If you're on a QS course shouldn't you be able to do this yourself?

And I'm sure if you have any questions you can ask your lecturer.

I'm only saying this because there isn't many if any Surveyors on here. There was a few years ago but I haven't seen any around for a while.
Howard
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Mythic Madness)
If you're on a QS course shouldn't you be able to do this yourself?

And I'm sure if you have any questions you can ask your lecturer.

I'm only saying this because there isn't many if any Surveyors on here. There was a few years ago but I haven't seen any around for a while.
I am a Chartered QS.
Mythic Madness
Badges: 12
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Howard)
I am a Chartered QS.
Damn, I should do my searching properly next time.
oh-my-diddy
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I'm a QS student just finished my second year at Kingston.
kirkie
Rep:
?
great!!
raceuk11
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I've just finished my RICS accredited QS Degree and finished with a 2:1 at UCLAN.

I'm happy to answer any questions you might have. But take heed:

THIS DEGREE IS WORTHLESS UNLESS YOU HAVE BEEN AS LUCKY AS A LOTTERY WINNER IN BAGGING EITHER A JOB OR LONG TERM PLACEMENT. I HAVE A HND, DEGREE AND STUDYING TOWARDS NEBOSH DIP AND 10 YEARS OF MANAGEMENT EXPERIENCE IN ANOTHER INDUSTRY. CAN I GET A JOB..................... NO, CAN I GET A PLACEMENT................. NO.

Approx 40 students finished the course and approx 10% have managed to get a job. Most of which were sponsored by their employer in any case.

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!
Lala4321
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by raceuk11)
I've just finished my RICS accredited QS Degree and finished with a 2:1 at UCLAN.

THIS DEGREE IS WORTHLESS UNLESS YOU HAVE BEEN AS LUCKY AS A LOTTERY WINNER IN BAGGING EITHER A JOB OR LONG TERM PLACEMENT. I HAVE A HND, DEGREE AND STUDYING TOWARDS NEBOSH DIP AND 10 YEARS OF MANAGEMENT EXPERIENCE IN ANOTHER INDUSTRY. CAN I GET A JOB..................... NO, CAN I GET A PLACEMENT................. NO.

Approx 40 students finished the course and approx 10% have managed to get a job. Most of which were sponsored by their employer in any case.

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!
How was your experience at UCLAN? Is it regarded as a good Uni for QS?

I heard Reading and loughborough are considered the best and almost all their graduates get jobs.

Perhaps it's because it's UCLAN?
oh-my-diddy
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I'm currently in my last year of qs at Kingston. All my friends managed to get a summer placement and some got a year out so i think I'll be alright when i finish hopefully.
Dedwin
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!
Must be your part of the country, im in my final year of QS in Scotland and am getting alteast 4 emails a week through university from potential employers seeking graduate Qs students for immediate start. The jobs are out there, you are just looking in the wrong place
Lala4321
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Dedwin)
Must be your part of the country, im in my final year of QS in Scotland and am getting alteast 4 emails a week through university from potential employers seeking graduate Qs students for immediate start. The jobs are out there, you are just looking in the wrong place
Where are you studying may I ask?

I am looking at

Loughborough
Portsmouth
UCLAN

and two others.....
raceuk11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Must be your part of the country, im in my final year of QS in Scotland and am getting alteast 4 emails a week through university from potential employers seeking graduate Qs students for immediate start. The jobs are out there, you are just looking in the wrong place...........

Yes and you live in cloud cookoo land you'll see lol.. :confused:

So here's the thing UCLAN has one of the oldest and most reputable Built Environment schools in England. In addition all QS degrees must be RICS accredited so that everyone is working of a level. If they are not don't bother because the APC route is alot longer.

I too have numerous positions posted to me on a regular basis.. These 4 positions a week you talk about are heavily contested by a factor of around 1.005 or 200/1.

I would love to put positive spin on this but there isn't any.... Since QS's were posted as a profession with skills shortage in the mid 2000's there was a huge influx of students taking this up as a career...... The market then bombed with no chance of imminent recovery in 2007-09... The construction industry is badly hit as per usual in austere times... QS's with experience lose their jobs and then have to step into lower positions pushing those at the start of the ladder i.e. graduates out especially those who are unable to gain any experience.

Grad positions in this field are not in abundance and those who are lucky enough get on grad programs have defeated odds akin to me winning the X factor.

These comments are not withstanding those who are bailed out by family members and lifted over every hurdle in life!!
HARRY PUTAH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Its a poor jobs market. QS graduates are not the only people being sucker-punched by more qualified professionals.
oh-my-diddy
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Jeez looks like bad news for qs's. Not looking forward to graduating.
raceuk11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by HARRY PUTAH)
Its a poor jobs market. QS graduates are not the only people being sucker-punched by more qualified professionals.
Your right there the same goes for all graduates except those who are sponsored by the NHS i.e. nurses etc.

The fact is this, there are no provisions for grads by central government the day you leave is the day your out on your own. CG throw 1000's at undergrads to get them through degrees via the student finance system. Wasted tax payers money! If provisions where made to support employers taking on grads in would break the vicious circle of no experience, no job. No job, no experience! In addition the government would see a much swifter recovery of the SF etc via the tax system when grads are earning better money.

Its very disheartening when you have struggled, as I and many have to achieve something out of their lives on the understanding that there will be something there and then suddenly have the stark realisation that you may as well not of bothered.

In my case I spent 10 years in the motor trade before uni and now I have to go back and work there for 18k with no career structure.
HARRY PUTAH
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Your right there the same goes for all graduates except those who are sponsored by the NHS i.e. nurses etc.

The fact is this, there are no provisions for grads by central government the day you leave is the day your out on your own. CG throw 1000's at undergrads to get them through degrees via the student finance system. Wasted tax payers money! If provisions where made to support employers taking on grads in would break the vicious circle of no experience, no job. No job, no experience! In addition the government would see a much swifter recovery of the SF etc via the tax system when grads are earning better money.

Its very disheartening when you have struggled, as I and many have to achieve something out of their lives on the understanding that there will be something there and then suddenly have the stark realisation that you may as well not of bothered.

In my case I spent 10 years in the motor trade before uni and now I have to go back and work there for 18k with no career structure.
There are provisions to help graduates/undergrads into employment such as graduate schemes and summer jobs but they're geared towards finding the best for a company.

You cant force companies to spend resources on graduate schemes when they know full-well what the reality is. A company only needs a few at a time and they want the best.

You also have to accept that nursing is very different to tha majority oif degrees. Public sector is a different reality entirely and is devoid of sense so yes, there is a permanent job for life.

Private sector jobs are not that secure and the 1000s of graduates who do get a 2.1 or First dont realise this.
kirkie
Rep:
?
it really is a hard market...
dedwin... it's good 2 know at least some of us are getting progress.

it really depends on your location. Caribbean is hard.. US is fair.. UK appears to be stable.. but India i don't think u stand a chance
raceuk11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by HARRY PUTAH)
There are provisions to help graduates/undergrads into employment such as graduate schemes and summer jobs but they're geared towards finding the best for a company.

You cant force companies to spend resources on graduate schemes when they know full-well what the reality is. A company only needs a few at a time and they want the best.

You also have to accept that nursing is very different to tha majority oif degrees. Public sector is a different reality entirely and is devoid of sense so yes, there is a permanent job for life.

Private sector jobs are not that secure and the 1000s of graduates who do get a 2.1 or First dont realise this.

No you can't force companies to take graduates on. What you can do is twist their arms with incentives, subsidies and the like.

Large companies like Balfour Beatty, Corrillian, Kier etc. are more than capable of giving a large portion of graduates a couple of weeks worth of experience a year. Universities should be better connected in order to provide placements.

A 2:1 which was once regarded as a quality degree is now regarded as substandard effectively meaning that those with only a first have a "degree". There is however problems with this system. A person 18-20 for example may not have much in the way of responsibility outside of university and may well live on site thus giving them a better chance of success. I for example have 2 children and am a single parent. In year one at uni my life was thrown into chaos by the fact that my partner (the childrens mother) buggered off and indeed it was against all odd that I managed to stay on the course let alone get a 2:1. Would this not suggest that my determination to succeed and my results etc could have been a lot better with a level playing field? This is not something employers consider? In fact a 31 year old with kids is seen as weakness and lessens my chances even further. Yet with years of experience in another industry I should be at the top?
HARRY PUTAH
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
No you can't force companies to take graduates on. What you can do is twist their arms with incentives, subsidies and the like.

Large companies like Balfour Beatty, Corrillian, Kier etc. are more than capable of giving a large portion of graduates a couple of weeks worth of experience a year. Universities should be better connected in order to provide placements.

A 2:1 which was once regarded as a quality degree is now regarded as substandard effectively meaning that those with only a first have a "degree". There is however problems with this system. A person 18-20 for example may not have much in the way of responsibility outside of university and may well live on site thus giving them a better chance of success. I for example have 2 children and am a single parent. In year one at uni my life was thrown into chaos by the fact that my partner (the childrens mother) buggered off and indeed it was against all odd that I managed to stay on the course let alone get a 2:1. Would this not suggest that my determination to succeed and my results etc could have been a lot better with a level playing field? This is not something employers consider? In fact a 31 year old with kids is seen as weakness and lessens my chances even further. Yet with years of experience in another industry I should be at the top?
Who makes the company policy here?

The company or the government? Yes the government can provide incentives but they still might not change and simply go for the graduates who are being trained up by another company.

Its called poaching and they're very good at it. if you think they lose out on giving more cash/benefit incentives to these people they poach you should know that a company puts a lot of time and money in recruitment and training so it is a cheaper way.

I wouldn't say you're worse off with a 2:1 but its the nature of the market right now. They can scrutinise at their leisure and they will probably see your single parent tag as a liability on their behalf.

Private companies are not mugs like the public sector, so try government positions instead.
Archosman1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Howard)
I am a Chartered QS.
hey there
is there any way you can give some tutoring
im really struggling with my coursework
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (133)
29.69%
No (315)
70.31%

Watched Threads