Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    I got a bit behind with my organisation last year to the point where I stopped sorting out my notes. But this year I have exams so think its kind of important to keep my notes together and in order.

How do you do it?

I was thinking of having one of those expanding files and writing out notes from various books and lecture notes. Sound ok to you? Better way of doing it? Let me know

By the way, do you do your reading before the lecture or the seminar?

ReputationRep:
    I put important stuff in a drawer and kept everything else in the bag which I took to my lectures, I owned no files.

I never did lecture reading but I did reading for seminars.

ReputationRep:
    I pay sluts to write them for me. 1:1 baby

ReputationRep:
    Reading before the lecture and seminar because I found that they'd end up discussing a lot of stuff in the lecture that I wouldn't have understood without doing the reading. Then when it came time for the seminar, I had my reading knowledge, backed up with lecture knowledge.

I do the reading for the topic, then go to the lecture and make lecture notes, then write them out fully when I get home and read through the online lecture notes and add to my own notes. Then I go to the seminar and make notes there, then I go home and fill in any blanks I've left before I forget what we discussed over that week, and then repeat for the next topic. When it comes to revision, I print out the lecture slides, notes, background research and references and put it all into a folder where I segment it according to topic.

I'm erm... I'm a bit keen on organisation... heh.

ReputationRep:
    Last year I took notes in about half of my lectures, many of them scribbled, disorganised, & utter gibberish when I read them back. I didn't even look at them when I was studying; there was no point.

This year, I will take little short notes to help me remember what was said instead of trying to get everything down, then make proper notes from the textbook / other sources after the lecture (or maybe at the end of the week) to file away and study from. I'm taking ten modules so going to put them all in one ringbinder with dividers. I can do this. I used to do this. Won't let one year of disorganisation break me down

ReputationRep:
    I just organise them by having a folder for each subject and putting the relevant notes from lectures and seminars in the folder and then going through them and making my own notes after/ using reading etc to make them more clear to myself.

For revision I used books, lecture slides, other resources on blackboard.

ReputationRep:
    I had one of those cheap paper files for each class/module - colour-coded. Then for my core subject, since we were given tonnes of notes, I would keep the previous 2 weeks of notes in that paper file (which I would bring to class), and transfer older notes into a lever arch - arranged by topic.

ReputationRep:
    We get a powerpoint print out given to us in the lectures so I write my notes on those during it. When I get home I have a file for each module I'm doing so I punch the notes and put them in there. I try to write a 1 page summary of the lecture but it often doesn't happen!

I find that it's great practice to write the date and the module code or title on the top of each set of notes, that way if you get a bit behind on your filing then it's much easier to see what goes where and if you've lost anything.

ReputationRep:
    A folder for each module, maybe sub divided into a couple of chapters for modules with a clear split like Statics and Dynamics or Fluids and Thermo.

Within those sub categories it's more or less crazy though.

ReputationRep:
    A folder for each module, and then put handouts/printouts in there in chronological order. I make sure to put a date on EVERYTHING now so I can organise it properly and learn things in the order they were taught (this occasionally helps).

I made sure to get folders in second year after having a massive pile of paper for all my modules on the floor of my room in halls. I ended up trying to put them into modules before exams (which was long and difficult), and ended up losing various lectures and even found some after the exams had finished!

ReputationRep:
    I use a big lever arch folder with dividers for each class so I can keep track of notes I've taken during lectures and seminar/lab notes/assignments. I try to do reading for lectures the same week as the lectures (though I usually end up slipping out of this habit by midsemester).

I don't take notes from reading, but I buy battered secondhand copies of all my books and use a highlighter to identify major points I would have copied into notes anyway. Only discovered this system worked far better for my style of studying in my third year than note-taking from texts ever did. At least my final fourth year will benefit from it I guess...

I buy a notepad for each course, take them to lectures and write my notes in them. No ****ty ringbinders, no loose bits of paper, just 4 notepads per term.

ReputationRep:
    A folder for each subject. Hole punch the lecture notes and tutorial sheets and put them in in order.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cinnamon442)
    Reading before the lecture and seminar because I found that they'd end up discussing a lot of stuff in the lecture that I wouldn't have understood without doing the reading. Then when it came time for the seminar, I had my reading knowledge, backed up with lecture knowledge.

I do the reading for the topic, then go to the lecture and make lecture notes, then write them out fully when I get home and read through the online lecture notes and add to my own notes. Then I go to the seminar and make notes there, then I go home and fill in any blanks I've left before I forget what we discussed over that week, and then repeat for the next topic. When it comes to revision, I print out the lecture slides, notes, background research and references and put it all into a folder where I segment it according to topic.

I'm erm... I'm a bit keen on organisation... heh.
    Seriously considering using your method - but I have a few questions.

1) Do you print off the lecture slides and take them to the lecture?

2) When taking notes in lectures, do you have a separate rough book where these notes are taken, and when you get home do you have a "neat book" which is used solely for re-writing notes out?

3) When you "fill in gaps" after acquiring any extra info that may be given to you in tutorials, how do you do that? Once you've written your notes surely there will be no gaps, unless you use tip ex etc :\ Or do you write them on your computer?

ReputationRep:
    I usually take notes during the lectures. I never rewrite them up, I try to keep it neat during the lectures If the lecturer provides printoffs I'll put those in too, if not I'll print them out. I have a separate folder for each and now that my first semester is over I've put them all into a lever arch folder. My tutorial sheets and workshop sheets go in a drawer

ReputationRep:
    The short answer is "I don't". Until recently I barely took notes during lectures anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manitude)
    The short answer is "I don't". Until recently I barely took notes during lectures anyway.
    This.

None of my notes were organised the whole time I was at uni, in fact when it was exam time we just asked for a revision list, downloaded the notes as a PDF and walked round with them on our phones/iPods.

ReputationRep:
    Lecture notes I generally handwrite and put into the relevant folder for the module, same with most seminar prep/work.

Other notes while reading around the subject etc I type but leave them on a memory stick instead of printing masses and masses. Come revision time, I will go through them and condense them a few times then print them out.

ReputationRep:
    for lecture notes I just write them down in booklets and then arrange them by topic at a later date.

For notes from reading, I just type everything onto word documents, and save them. It would take me ages to write stuff and I find it easier to revise by looking at notes electronically anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Badly.

Poll
Do you prefer hot dogs or burgers?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.