The Student Room Group

would you work for 3 pounds an hour???!!!

I need your opinions...
I've been looking for a summer job everywhere to save up before Uni. But found nothing-either my CV was absolutely rubbish or I'm just unkucky. Anyway,I found a cafe,that said CAFE GIRL NEEDED (there goes your Sexual Discrimination Act). So,I handed in my CV, a romanian girl told me to come back today to speak to the manager bla bla.

Back to my thread title- the manager told me that once I'm trained,I will be on 3 pounds an hour then gradually it will go up to 4.

That's not legal,right? all the staff are over 21 too,well,except me(18) and this other girl whose English isn't good.

Btw,the cafe looks perfectly fine;nice food,atmosphere

The thought of working for 5 hours and only making 15 pounds really depresses me :/
Or am I just overreacting???
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Nope.
Reply 2
The legal minimum wage is £4.92.

Enough said.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3
No, you should not work for £3 p/hr in this country.
No harm in taking it until you find anything better? I guess it depends how desperately you need small amounts of money. But that's below minimum wage... Are all the other staff paid the same amount?
Reply 5
£5.75-£5.95 is minimum wage!
so NO i was earning £3.50 ph when i was 15.
Reply 6
To be honest, no.
Reply 7
Original post by ovie
I need your opinions...
I've been looking for a summer job everywhere to save up before Uni. But found nothing-either my CV was absolutely rubbish or I'm just unkucky. Anyway,I found a cafe,that said CAFE GIRL NEEDED (there goes your Sexual Discrimination Act). So,I handed in my CV, a romanian girl told me to come back today to speak to the manager bla bla.

Back to my thread title- the manager told me that once I'm trained,I will be on 3 pounds an hour then gradually it will go up to 4.

That's not legal,right? all the staff are over 21 too,well,except me(18) and this other girl whose English isn't good.

Btw,the cafe looks perfectly fine;nice food,atmosphere

The thought of working for 5 hours and only making 15 pounds really depresses me :/

I won't work for less than a lake and 2 puddles per hour.

But yea, I don't think that's quite right. If you're 21 or over it's £5.91 or something I think.
Original post by ovie

It is against the law.

I was on ten pounds an hour when I was fifteen (although was doing computer related work).

You probably need to revise your CV, or start going in and talking to managers personally rather than just handing an easily binnable piece of paper to them.

Now I wouldn't work for less than fifteen.
Reply 9
Nope, that doesn't even meet the minimum wage. Report the manager.
Depends on how much you need the money but personally I would not work for that little. Its just insulting to give your employees less than the minimum wage, how has he gotten away with it?
Reply 11
I was about to say "I wouldn't", but then remembered that at some points during my last job I was on £2.33/hr :rolleyes: . Such are the perils of fixed day rates and longer shifts in a work environment that doesn't believe in overtime.

As other say, tis illegal, don't do it, hold out for something better.
Reply 12
In some commission based job, you can go 8.5 hours without pay. I agree £3 is not alot, but there are jobs out there which pay nothing until you get a sale.
Reply 13
Considering that 3 hours of work would only be just above what I was earning in my last job.

NO ****ING WAY.
Reply 14
sounds dodgy from the start if you ask me. so no, I wouldn't.
Reply 15
No way, even if it was £4 an hour I'd deliberate over it and might take it "just for now", but 3pounds, no way, 12 pounds for a 4hour shift, you might aswell beg.
Reply 16
Original post by J0kerman2
Depends on how much you need the money but personally I would not work for that little. Its just insulting to give your employees less than the minimum wage, how has he gotten away with it?

the manager said the tips are good!!! I did do my training there today,too, and didn't see many tips left:/
Reply 17
When I was 14 till 17 I worked for 3 pounds an hour in a family run icecream shop. I didn't know any better and knew it was low but tbh needed the money so didn't think much of it. I now work for 6 ph or 12 on sundays. Maybe you'll get paid tips which add onto your normal hourly wage? I don't know if I'd work for that now, but I have years worth of experience so would find it insulting. If its your first job and your desperate for money I'd be inclined to take it...
Reply 18
You could do it short term then report them? I was on £3.53 an hour when I was 17 as that is the minimum wage for under 18's.
Reply 19
Depends on the job. Sitting on a till or something, yes. Doing craploads of menial labour, hell no.

Latest

Trending

Trending