The Student Room Group

Lads - gel or wax?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by PurpleMonkeyDishwasher
I don't know if anyone's said it so far but neither of those two; for most styles, I'd use something matte like a hair clay or paste.

My barbers use clay, and it's ****ing amazing. Haven't found any typical waxes you can buy on the high street, that can even come close to that.
I personally use bryclreem cream texurtising which is mix with wax and clay I think done amazing job.
I use gel wax :P For styling up anyway, if im going for a flatter look I use clay.
how is clay any different to cream or wax?
Got2B Glued Spiking Glue + Got2B Glued Blasting Freeze Spray. Easily holds my hair up.
Haven't used gel since the days of year six when I had a spiked up fringe, cos' I was cool like that. But anyway, Matt clay all the way, either Vo5 or Shockwaves. I sometimes go for vo5 texture gum.
Tiny bit of vo5 wax, doesn't look like it changes my hair, just makes the front go where I want it to go.
Clay is best although I haven't used clay in forever as I have had short hair for like ages but I'm growing it out so I'll start using again :biggrin:

Anyone recommend a good styling clay to use? Byrlcreem any good?
Original post by tehFrance
Clay is best although I haven't used clay in forever as I have had short hair for like ages but I'm growing it out so I'll start using again :biggrin:

Anyone recommend a good styling clay to use? Byrlcreem any good?

Brylcreem is good, but beware, your hair will get greasy quickly if you have thick hair like me. I'm currently trying VO5 Gelwax which is easy to apply and is nowhere near as greasy as Brylcreem, although tbh i've found nothing is as good as Shockwaves shaping wax for me. I think different products suit different people. Best of luck in finding what suits you best:smile:
i use this stuff...get it off ebay

works really well for me :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by gagaslilmonsteruk
Brylcreem is good, but beware, your hair will get greasy quickly if you have thick hair like me. I'm currently trying VO5 Gelwax which is easy to apply and is nowhere near as greasy as Brylcreem, although tbh i've found nothing is as good as Shockwaves shaping wax for me. I think different products suit different people. Best of luck in finding what suits you best:smile:

I think you misunderstood, I use to use clay and was wondering if Brylcreem's clay offering was any good, you appear to be talking about gel/wax which is not as good as clay imo :smile:
Original post by Billa Bong
i use this stuff...get it off ebay

works really well for me :smile:

Heard of that stuff, what kind of texture is it? Also what kind of style is it good for?
Original post by Moontoon
Heard of that stuff, what kind of texture is it? Also what kind of style is it good for?

what do you mean by texture??
and i have like a spiky hair style so it gives a good hold in that sense...quite hard stuff though
Schwarzkopf gel. But when my hair is short it makes me look really young with spiky hair so think i'll be moving to wax or whatever it is that's now used for styling!
Wax for sure!
Reply 115
I personally use Aqua Fish Moulding Wax. Best stuff on the market IMO. Similar holding ability to Dax if used correctly, minus the endless gunkiness in your hair.
Original post by antihero
I personally use Aqua Fish Moulding Wax. Best stuff on the market IMO. Similar holding ability to Dax if used correctly, minus the endless gunkiness in your hair.

I used fish hair wax product before like it, but only thing I hate is after the hand get very geasty so i don't buy them anymore.
vo5 texturising gum
hi guys what do u think about gummy styling wax is it good and which is the best one u think that prevents hair falling hard finish or extra gloss or bright finish or matt finish, thanks everyone

Quick Reply

Latest