Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

HI!

I'm from Germany, and I have to give a presentation on the english school system for my english class.

I don't know very much about it, except that you only have one school, the comprehensive. Are you done with this after 10thgrade then? What do you do after that? How long does it take you to get your A-levels?
    Are there still lots of grammar schools left?
    Do you have more coeducational schools? On the whole how many people do you have in your class?
    Do the teachers have their own classroom?
    How long do you stay everyday?
    How long are your classes?
    What do you think about boarding schools?
    Are there lots of differences between boarding and the normal comprehensive?
    I read in the forum, that you have to do lots of courseworks. How much time do you have for that? Are the topics the same in the whole country or does it depend on the teachers?
    Do you have to give lots of presentation and speeches in class?
    How long takes your A-Levels exam? Do you have an oral examination?
    What do you usually do in your classes? Do you work on your own or with partners usually?
    Is there anything you would change in the educational system?
    Do you all have the same curriculum?
    Can you choose your subjects at the beginning of the year?
    And can you drop anything at the end?
    I heard that you only have very few subjects in you A-Level school. Do you focus on special subjects?

OK, that's a lot of questions.
    It would be nice if you could help me with this.

Thank you,

Kati

ReputationRep:
    Hello

I'll try and help as much as I can but if others have different ideas, they are probably right.

There are comprehensive schools but also grammar schools available. Most people go to the comprehensives but you take take an exam when you are eleven (callled the 11 plus) which enables you to go to grammar schools and private schools.

Are you done with this after 10thgrade then?
    You finished comprehensive school in year 11 when you are 16 years old. This is the year you take your GCSEs.

What do you do after that?
    After that you can got to college from the age of 16 and this last 2 years normally. The system is available to anybody over 16 years of age. You do your a-levels at college but can also do NVQs.

How long does it take you to get your A-levels?
    Normally 2 years. The A-levels have now been split into two levels; as and a2. AS levels are done in the first year. In the second year, you can do the a2 levels but you must have done an as before hand. If you do not want to take the a2, this is possible and you can just stick with your as levels.

I wouldnt say there were a lot but definately a few. You have to take an exam to enter them. The 11 plus.

Do you have more coeducational schools?
    Im honestly not sure what a co-educational school is....sorry!

On the whole how many people do you have in your class?
    In comprehensive school, there are normally abotu 30 people per class. In college, it varies depending on the popularity of the course you are doing.

In comprehensive and college, the class rooms are normally shared between teachers. For one lesson the teachers are in one room and for another they are in a totally different room.

Its normally from around 9.00 till 3.30 but this can vary according to different schools. At my school, we have 6 leassons all lasting 50 minutes. The rest of the time was taken up with registration and lunch.

50 mins but can depend on the school.

I dont know much about them. All I know is that I wouldnt have like to leave my parents before I have done.

Boarding schools have more reputation than comprehensives. You have to either take exams or have good grades to be excepted into a boarding schools, whereas anyone can go to a comprehensive.

You have to pay to go to boarding school as well because they are priavtely run (I think) where as you can go to comprehensives freely.

You normally have to stay for the whole term in accommodation on the campus of the boarding school. You eat, sleep and basically live at the school until term time is over and you can go back home.

I read in the forum, that you have to do lots of courseworks. How much time do you have for that? Are the topics the same in the whole country or does it depend on the teachers?

Most GCSE subjects have coursework components to them. People take about 9 GCSEs so thats nine pieces of coursework. The coursework can vary depending on what examination board the course you are taking is under. Also, the teachers can pick from several choices of coursework...I think.

In our english lessons, one of the components you are marked on is speaking and listening. You normally have to give a presentation which is marked. Most of the other subjects do not require presentations apart from maybe the language departments.

A levels take two years. The exams last for a period of 3 weeks and you can have an exam within that time. The exams range from 1 hour to 3 hours long. Oral examinations are needed for languages but most other subjects do not require this.

What do you usually do in your classes? Do you work on your own or with partners usually?
    You can do either. It depends on the subject. Sometimes you are required to do group work and sometimes the work needs to be done individually. Classes normally consist of copying notes from the board, doing questions and sometimes discussing details. Sciences normally involve experiments also. Langauges involve speaking and listening as well as the written work.

Not necessarily.

No there are different cirriculums depending on your area and examination board.

You choose your subjects in year 10 when you are 15. So you actually study towards your GCSEs for 2 years. The three years before this are there to prepare you and improve your knowledge of the courses but you do not actually study the necessary information until year 10 till year 11.

Not normally. Some people do less exams than others but this can be due to any number of things such as illness.

I heard that you only have very few subjects in you A-Level school. Do you focus on special subjects?
    You can study up to 4 as levels and 3 a2 levels. The info is more specific and detailed. It woudl not be possible to study the same amount of subjects at a-level as you did at GCSE with the same degree of detail. Although you do not spend as much time at college as you do school, the extra time is supposed to be spent on reading and revision.

Hope that helps a bit.

Helen Brownsell

ReputationRep:
    Helen seems to have said most of details but I have some additions.

Originally posted by HelenBrownsell
    You can study up to 4 as levels and 3 a2 levels. The info is more specific and detailed. It woudl not be possible to study the same amount of subjects at a-level as you did at GCSE with the same degree of detail. Although you do not spend as much time at college as you do school, the extra time is supposed to be spent on reading and revision.
    She is very right in that it is very detailed but there is no limit to how many you are allowd to take. It is recommended to be only 4 AS levels and 3 A2 Levels because of the workload. For example, I did 5 AS levels last year and 4 A2 levels this year. My friend on the other hand did tough number of 6 AS levels last year, 6 A2 levels this year as well as a AS level. I believe the norm is how Helen outlined it though.

Orinally posted by Kati
    An A level is made up of an AS and a A2.

An AS has 3 modules and an A2 has 3 modules. These 6 modules together make an A Level in a subject. Each module is credited by coursework or sitting an examination. Each module exam is usually between 1 hour to 2 hours. In most A level subjects coursework is usually 1 or 2 modules (15% - 40 %) with the rest being exams (60% - 85%).

Hi,

thank you soooo much for the information!!!!!!!!!
    That's so nice of you.
    It's really hard to find something, so again, thank you!!!

Good Night,

Kati =)!!!!

I can give a private school perspective.

I don't know very much about it, except that you only have one school, the comprehensive. Are you done with this after 10thgrade then?

I went to a Preparatory School from when I was eight. and I boarded there. I continued until 13 when I had the option of taking Common Entrance exams, or scholarship exams to a particular Secondary school.
    At 16 I took GCSE examinations, and started A levels at the same school. I will take my AS levels this year, and A2's next year. The normal amount of AS levels is five, and the normal number of A2's is three. I'm taking 5 and then 4.

What do you do after that? How long does it take you to get your A-levels?

Three of the subjects take 2 years to get AS and upgrade them to A2.

2 subjects, Maths and Further maths are being taken as a one year course each. one A2 level in one year, one A2 the next.

Blair is trying to stamp them out, but there are some holding on.

Do you have more coeducational schools?

yup. Girls + boys in about equal measure. very few gender specific schools left.

On the whole how many people do you have in your class?

At GCSE, about 15 to 20. At A level, 10 to 15

Most do, about 1 in 5 does not.

All day every day, with 2 weekends per term off, one half term of 4-10 days depending on the length of the term, and 4 months of holidays yearly.

7 lessons, 40 minutes each, 5 mins between.

Wouldn't have it any other way. the social life is great, especially in the final two years when you can go up the pub on saturday evenings.

They are poles apart. The biggest difference from the private schools that bard and the state comprehensives are the backgrounds of the people who go there. We tend to have more money, have less specific accents and look down a bit on public school students. They look down on us as being snobs. We're both wrong to some extent.

I read in the forum, that you have to do lots of courseworks. How much time do you have for that?

Normally about a week, possibly two. Some recently only a day.

Are the topics the same in the whole country or does it depend on the teachers?

The national curriculum is tought to all pupils nationwide, and all the exam boards examine the topics in that, so you have to be tought it all.

Nope, but I take mainly science subjects. Personally I dread presentations.

Orals in languages. Practicals in sciences. coursework in all.

The actualy exams last from an hour to an hour and a half in sciences, and up to 3 hours in english.

Not during the A level courses. It's normally all on your own.

The food. I seems to get worse every term. The only decent thing is the lamb biriani on wednesdays.

More or less. yup.

Yup.

Yup.

I take maths, further maths, chemistry, physics, biology for first year, I'll be taking maths, further maths physics and chemistry next year. There are about 12 other subjects besides to choose from.

THANK You very much!!!

Everything is so helpful!

Thank you so much again...=)!!!

CU Kati =)!!!

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.