Plagiarism Please Help

Scroll to see replies

i hope you're all ok. =[
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Visit website
Reply 21
i got marks taken off and warnings on my file ...still passed exam, however has put me off the OU for life !
Reply 22
Original post by Werkit
i got marks taken off and warnings on my file ...still passed exam, however has put me off the OU for life !

What happened though, what did the investigation say? Did you miss off a reference or something like that?
Reply 23
Honestly, if you are legitimately caught plagiarizing than you should not seek compassion, as it is a crime.
Reply 24
Original post by refelctiveremorse
I have just recieved a letter explaing that I am under investigation for a plagiarsim offence.
I am absolutely terrifed of what is going to happen and how long the investigation is expected to take?
I have already spent the last seven days in such a menatal and emotional turmoil and it has now completely taken over my life, health and well being.
I am unsure who to seek advise from as I am with the OU.

Any help and advise would be greatly appreicated.
Thanks

:frown:

Hi,
What happened at the end? I am the same situation
Reply 25
Im.going through the same thing. Ive had such a hard year. I had a late miscarriage and im struggling as it is. I used the internet but did not cheat. Im so scared.
Reply 26
Original post by AsiaM
Im.going through the same thing. Ive had such a hard year. I had a late miscarriage and im struggling as it is. I used the internet but did not cheat. Im so scared.

Hi, was just wondering what happened in your situation and how did the university react? I am also in this same situation and really worrying. My worst case scenario would be getting thrown out of university or a zero. I am hoping to be able to redo the work capped at 40% but I don't know if they'll be this nice.
Reply 27
Hi everyone, can someone tell me how that finish? in both cases?

Thank you
Please how did it go for everyone? What the the University do?
Please reply, how did it work out for everyone?
Sorry to jump on this thread, I've gone through this just this week with a February TMA also, I've got one essay left my EMA and I'm due to finish in June... I'm freaking out as this has never happened to me but my laptop was playing up with that assignment and it deleted EVERYTHING I had written so had to redo it all again within 24 hours, I did what I always do with assignments in my previous module and never had any problems so I'm really confused. I've also just been accepted for a house so stress is at an all time high atm and this is the last thing I need. I didn't even use the Internet purely the OU Reader alone as that's all we needed for the assignment. This is what was attached to my email:

Where an offence of Plagiarism under paragraph SD1.2(a) has been committed the following academic penalties may be applied: -
a. disallowing, in part or whole, any piece of assessed work; or
b. awarding any piece of assessed work a ‘capped’ mark (‘capped’ means that an upper limit is imposed on the mark); or
c. disallowing all of a piece of work and removing the opportunity for resubmission.

Does anyone have any advice? I did speak to my tutor but she hasn't been all that helpful unfortunately.
Original post by weathergirl96
Sorry to jump on this thread, I've gone through this just this week with a February TMA also, I've got one essay left my EMA and I'm due to finish in June... I'm freaking out as this has never happened to me but my laptop was playing up with that assignment and it deleted EVERYTHING I had written so had to redo it all again within 24 hours, I did what I always do with assignments in my previous module and never had any problems so I'm really confused. I've also just been accepted for a house so stress is at an all time high atm and this is the last thing I need. I didn't even use the Internet purely the OU Reader alone as that's all we needed for the assignment. This is what was attached to my email:

Where an offence of Plagiarism under paragraph SD1.2(a) has been committed the following academic penalties may be applied: -
a. disallowing, in part or whole, any piece of assessed work; or
b. awarding any piece of assessed work a ‘capped’ mark (‘capped’ means that an upper limit is imposed on the mark); or
c. disallowing all of a piece of work and removing the opportunity for resubmission.

Does anyone have any advice? I did speak to my tutor but she hasn't been all that helpful unfortunately.

so did you plagiarise then?
Original post by sy!¡
so did you plagiarise then?

Of course I didn't, I ALWAYS write my own words but obviously we use the course readers as guidance and for the factual details and data but we have to use the references they do because we're only allowed to use the reader and not the Internet, I even included in my reference list the Open Uni Reader title and everything and I always use in text citations too. I'm assuming it's a paraphrasing issue more than anything else.
Original post by weathergirl96
Of course I didn't, I ALWAYS write my own words but obviously we use the course readers as guidance and for the factual details and data but we have to use the references they do because we're only allowed to use the reader and not the Internet, I even included in my reference list the Open Uni Reader title and everything and I always use in text citations too. I'm assuming it's a paraphrasing issue more than anything else.

i think you should just wait and see what happens...it’s good that you referenced everything you used. try not to worry about it.
Turnitin can be a bit of a blunt object as it picks up all sorts of material that can be totally unrelated to the course. As earlier posts have indicated it can be a slow process (even without Covid slowing things down) as a tutor has to take a view and then report to the ACO for the module who will make a decision. Most result in a ‘skills session’ at first but can go further if it looks to be dishonest. The ACO might also ask it be remarked without the offending material, which will impact on the final grade. You will probably know the result before your tutor so dont be surprised if they appear unhelpful, they probably really don't know more than you do. Most offences are poor referencing citations and summarising so I put a clip on YouTube on Good Academic Practice. I often hear of people having IT problems, rushing to submit and falling foul of the rules; set up autosave on your Word docs if it is not done already as at least you should be able to recover a recent version.Best of luck, don’t let it get you down, OU study is tough enough as it is.Nick
I'm so ****ed off and frustrated. I got an email on the 24th June advising I had been flagged for plagarism, I panicked and called them straight away. They had closed for the day/weekend. Replied pleading my innocence, everything takes business days for replies, automated emails blah blah blah. Anyway, I've called and emailed countless numbers of times since. I had an email saying they decided that I had indeed plagarised so we're going to submit my assignment with the plagarised bits taken out (this was 'apparantly ' about half the assignment so I'd set myself up to fail. Anyway. I've since had emails ongoing just saying it's pending and they're still investigating. Surely if it's plagarism just fail it so I can resit a module!? Why leave it for so damn long, this is ridiculous now, nearly in October. Anyway, I've now launched an official complaint/appeal. So I bet that's going to delay things further....ugh.
Original post by Spavenator
I'm so ****ed off and frustrated. I got an email on the 24th June advising I had been flagged for plagarism, I panicked and called them straight away. They had closed for the day/weekend. Replied pleading my innocence, everything takes business days for replies, automated emails blah blah blah. Anyway, I've called and emailed countless numbers of times since. I had an email saying they decided that I had indeed plagarised so we're going to submit my assignment with the plagarised bits taken out (this was 'apparantly ' about half the assignment so I'd set myself up to fail. Anyway. I've since had emails ongoing just saying it's pending and they're still investigating. Surely if it's plagarism just fail it so I can resit a module!? Why leave it for so damn long, this is ridiculous now, nearly in October. Anyway, I've now launched an official complaint/appeal. So I bet that's going to delay things further....ugh.

To ask the obvious question... did you plagiarise? If you didn't, do you have an idea of why they think you did?
Original post by Anonymous
To ask the obvious question... did you plagiarise? If you didn't, do you have an idea of why they think you did?

No I didn't, but even if I did, why is it taking so long?

Quick Reply

Latest