The Student Room Group

What university course has the most privately educated students?

I was just curious about which courses have most most students from a privately educated background and which courses have the most students from a state educated background.

Through debate with my friends they believe that it could be: History, Geography, Business and Medicine. However I'm not sure.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Art History
Reply 2
For the privately educated one, i think it could be Law or Economics but i am not 100% sure. Someone once told me that.
Classics

Edit: Thanks negger, I'm -1 now!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4
I'd say art history.
Original post by neiljeff123
Classics
Aye, probably.

Of course, that doesn't necessarily reflect any exclusionism inherent in the subject (although I don't deny that there may be vestiges of that), but it does reflect wider societal exclusion. All courses have lots of state-schooled pupils though: it would be highly improbable if they didn't seeing as roughly 93% of the population is state-educated.
(edited 12 years ago)
Two theories:

The old prestigious professions, like medicine or law.

Or the courses with little real world application, like art history.
Reply 7
Possibly PPE?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 8
Classics for sure. Can you even study Latin or ancient Greek in a state school? Courses for Classics must be like 98% private.
Reply 9
I studied Classics and I'm from an inner-city comp. :shifty:
Original post by Cybele
I studied Classics and I'm from an inner-city comp. :shifty:

Name?
Original post by Tefhel
Classics for sure. Can you even study Latin or ancient Greek in a state school? Courses for Classics must be like 98% private.
Yes, not many of them though. But classical languages are included as eligible languages on the English baccalaureate, and I think that Michael Gove is looking to encourage schools to capitalise on that (although there is a shortage of classics teachers and PGCE places). Also, I believe that Boris has organised a scheme whereby all London primary schools will have some introductory Latin lessons in honour of the Olympics.

You can, however, study both languages, or either, from scratch [ab initio] at most university classics departments (Oxbridge inclusive). So the subject is open de jure to anyone, but some types of students may be less aware of the options/subject and/or less prepared in terms of general grades and/or less interested in taking what appears to be such a non-vocational course etc.

At Manchester University, where I studied, there was a private-school bias, but it was nowhere near as high as 98% -- and it wouldn't be at any university.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 12
Classics

Now your +1.

I would say Classics as well.
Classics

****ing neggers.
Original post by Oh my Ms. Coffey
****ing neggers.
Don't be racist. :ninja:
Reply 15
I know a few Classics students, and most of them are regular people, not particularly 'rah' in any way :dontknow:
Reply 16
Media Studies
Art History, Classics, Philosophy or other courses with v. little practical knowledge imparted.

I studied History of Art and I can confirm that it's fairly "private-school", although there are definitely exceptions, including myself.
Oxford and Cambridge publish stats on this. In both cases it is classics by a country mile.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending