The Student Room Group
Students on campus Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Nottingham is only as dangerous as other big cities. I think I've answered this question on here about 20 times
I've lived here for all my life and I've never been mugged/attacked/shot/stabbed. Because it's common sense really - stay away from places like St Annes (dodgy) Bilborough (sort of dodgy) the North part of Aspley (very dodgy) and the Meadows (sort of dodgy) Don't listen to what you read about in papers please :smile: If you come to Trent you'll be in the centre of town (presumably) which isn't so bad as it's always busy, other places like Basford, Sherwood, Wollaton, Beeston and most of Lenton (very studenty) are nice quiet places :smile:
Students on campus Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 2
Ive also lived here all my life and I agree with Rosee. Its like any other city, you will know when you are in a bad area. Just keep your wits about you will be safe.
Reply 3
Thanks you guys for your responses :wink:
Nottingham's crime reputation is over rated but just to be safe try and avoid certain areas at night such as Radford, St Anns and Forest Fields.

Lenton (Nottingham's most famous student area) can be a bit dodgy but on the whole is fine.

Neighbouring towns such as West Bridgford or Beeston make for better areas.
Reply 5
Yeah someone once tried to knife me outside Greggs for my sausage roll :rolleyes:

Seriously though, as someone who has grown up in this city then it's nowhere near as bad as people think. It has rough/crimey areas like any other city does. If you're going to uni then Lenton is pretty much the studenty place from what I've seen. There's a bit of a long standing joke about St. Anns and hearing gun shots. Oh and Bulwell is where Jeremy Kyle people come from :biggrin: (also a local joke where I live, no offence meant to anyone :P). But yeah, it's no more rough than other cities
Reply 6
Seriously, if you use your common sense then you'll be fine. Yes, there is a chance that if you're walking through St Anns at 2am then you might get mugged, but firstly, isn't that the same for anywhere? And secondly, what would you be doing walking through St Anns at 2am? It's only the people who do silly things like that who get in any trouble.
As a Trent uni student, you'll pretty much be in the city centre for everything you do, you have zero need to wander into the 'rough' areas and I doubt you will, so you'll be fine.
I'm staying in uni accommodation at Fletcher Terrace (Queniborough Road, Mapperley.) What's it like there?
Reply 8
Lenton is where all the 2nd/3rd year uni of Notts students live, it's just a city suburb along a main road with buses every 6 minutes into town one direction/uni campus the other, it's got lots of pubs and A&E on the bus route for the accident prone :smile: Problem is it's right next to hyson green and radford, they're not so nice at night time if you're by yourself and act like a target. But, put it this way, it's better than being in North London is right now :wink:

I've been visiting the uni of nottingham campus all my life, my mum worked there then did a pgce there so I know it really well and most of the surrounding areas, so if you have any more questions feel free to ask :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by Billinghaylad1976
I'm staying in uni accommodation at Fletcher Terrace (Queniborough Road, Mapperley.) What's it like there?

Mapperly is P-O-S-H! It's like Hampstead in London - big houses and 'leafy'. It's also very, very hilly. And when it's a tiny bit icy the buses stop running round there because the hills are so steep. Which part of mapperly? Do you know a road name or anything? I feel like a tour guide haha

Sorry just noticed you actually posted a street name! I'll check it for you!

Actually, your halls are closer to the city centre from what I see, you'll be right in the lace market, it's really pretty and lots of nice places to go :smile: I'm quite jealous of your halls loaction as compared to mine last year :frown:
(edited 12 years ago)
Quernby Road even . lol
Reply 11
I would say Clifton was a bad experience for me. Especially, kids have a bad taste of troubling foreigners. I hate those hoodies who trouble for a fag, grab your stuff and call you with weird names.
If you have common sense and confidence everything is fine
anyone who thinks nottinghams safe is completely and utterley lieing.

Nottingham has very few good areas.fact.

It is full of subhuman scum roaming around, and i challenge anyone to go from area to area to tell me otherwise.

ASPLEY= SCUM

BULWELL=SCUM

BROXTOWE ESTATE=SCUM
STRELLEY=SCUM

BILBOROUGH=SCUM

BEECHDALE=SCUM

MEADOWS=SCUM

ST ANNS=SCUM

CLIFTON=SCUM

RADFORD=SCUM

HYSON GREEN=SCUM

BOBBERSMILL=SCUM

FOREST FIELDS=SCUM

SNEINTON=SCUM

TopVALLEY=SCUM

That is 90 percent of the city, in the last 3 weeks alone there been 3 murders and some stabbings...

Add the fact it was in thw top 5 places for riots this week over two nights and you have one feral place...
Original post by louiscypher

It is full of subhuman scum roaming around, and i challenge anyone to go from area to area to tell me otherwise.

ASPLEY= SCUM

BULWELL=SCUM

BROXTOWE ESTATE=SCUM
STRELLEY=SCUM

BILBOROUGH=SCUM

BEECHDALE=SCUM

MEADOWS=SCUM

ST ANNS=SCUM

CLIFTON=SCUM

RADFORD=SCUM

HYSON GREEN=SCUM

BOBBERSMILL=SCUM

FOREST FIELDS=SCUM

SNEINTON=SCUM

TopVALLEY=SCUM

That is 90 percent of the city, in the last 3 weeks alone there been 3 murders and some stabbings...

Add the fact it was in thw top 5 places for riots this week over two nights and you have one feral place...

Bestwood = SCUM X2
Original post by louiscypher

ASPLEY= SCUM

BULWELL=SCUM

BROXTOWE ESTATE=SCUM
STRELLEY=SCUM

BILBOROUGH=SCUM

BEECHDALE=SCUM

MEADOWS=SCUM

ST ANNS=SCUM

CLIFTON=SCUM

RADFORD=SCUM

HYSON GREEN=SCUM

BOBBERSMILL=SCUM

FOREST FIELDS=SCUM

SNEINTON=SCUM

TopVALLEY=SCUM

Yes, because these recent riots (of which there hasn't been anything similar for decades), are completely indicative of how safe a city is :rolleyes:.

And even if all of those areas that you mentioned are indeed "scum" (which I disagree with), they do not constitute anywhere near 90% of the city.
Original post by mistermeowingtons
Yes, because these recent riots (of which there hasn't been anything similar for decades), are completely indicative of how safe a city is :rolleyes:.

And even if all of those areas that you mentioned are indeed "scum" (which I disagree with), they do not constitute anywhere near 90% of the city.

I agree with you but tbh, the areas he mentioned probably do make up about 90% of the city. He pretty much mentioned every area except the City Centre, Wollaton and Sherwood!
Original post by ultimate mashup
I agree with you but tbh, the areas he mentioned probably do make up about 90% of the city. He pretty much mentioned every area except the City Centre, Wollaton and Sherwood!

What about places such as The Park, Lenton, Dunkirk and Beeston? I would count all of them as pretty safe places to live.
Original post by mistermeowingtons
What about places such as The Park, Lenton, Dunkirk and Beeston? I would count all of them as pretty safe places to live.

beeston not technically part of the city, but beeston actually has alot of **** areas, such as lenton abbey, beeston rylands, and beeston central. it has beeston fields drive which has massive houses, but on the whole i would describe beeston as a better area of nottingham(suburb), but its not an area to aspire to live in since you can get houses under 100 000 there.

Dunkirk and lenton are certainly not good areas, they are student areas. But i wouldnt call them decent. Lenton actually has some dodgy areas. and you see the dodgy charaters really are when the students go.

The park is a great area, granted, but its actually in conjuction with the radford ward, which is ****e.

The best area in nottm imo is wollaton, or mapperly park, but unfortunately both areas are surrounded by scum, particularly mapperly park.

hope this helps...
Reply 19
Original post by rolling
I'm going to Notts on September and i've been told that it's a dangerous city to live in because of the criminality. Is that true? Which are the most dangerous areas in the city?
Someone told me to avoid going into St.Annes, Meadows and Forest Fields.

Nottingham used to be a lot worse 10 - 15 years ago, its a lot better now.
When you get there you will get the general idea of which places to avoid from students in higher years.

Latest