The Student Room Group

Experiences and the pros and cons of going on the pill?

I have a dr's appt this thursday to go on the pill and I came off my period a few days ago .. how long will I have to take the pill for before I can stop using condoms?

My main question is about weight and skin... did you put on weight and did your skin get better or worse?

my skin got better.
I didn't gain weight, but my boobs got bigger.

as for how long you will have to take the pill before you can eliminate condoms = 1 week Sunday to Sunday.
but even then, STIs are a risk and I highly recommend you keep condoms
Reply 2
Original post by strawberry
my skin got better.
I didn't gain weight, but my boobs got bigger.

as for how long you will have to take the pill before you can eliminate condoms = 1 week Sunday to Sunday.
but even then, STIs are a risk and I highly recommend you keep condoms

STI's aren't a problem as both myself and my boyfriend have only ever slept with each other
Reply 3
I'm on Yasmin and have been since Feb this year. If you take your pill on the first day of your period you're protected from then, but otherwise its 7 days.

Pros:
Bigger boobs
Weight loss (about 4/5 pounds)
No bloating
Skip periods if you're going away or something

Cons:
Skin went from totally clear to having hard sore spots under the skin, which have now completely gone and my skin is nearly back to normal
Periods arent any lighter and last for longer days
Reply 4
Pros:
Regular periods and ability to delay them
No weight gain (in my experience)

Cons:
Slight health risks involved, but, they are minor

My skin stayed the same and my boobs stayed the same. :p:
I'm on Yasmin.
Reply 5
Original post by noggin123
I'm on Yasmin and have been since Feb this year. If you take your pill on the first day of your period you're protected from then, but otherwise its 7 days.

Pros:
Bigger boobs
Weight loss (about 4/5 pounds)
No bloating
Skip periods if you're going away or something

Cons:
Skin went from totally clear to having hard sore spots under the skin, which have now completely gone and my skin is nearly back to normal
Periods arent any lighter and last for longer days

Thank you :smile:

Did the spots go of their own accord while you were still on the pill or did they only go once you stopped taking it?
Started on Microgynon 30:

Pros-- Clear skin

Cons-- Bloating, v hormonal/emotional, headaches...

Now on Yasmin:

Pros-- Less bloated, less emotional

Cons-- Skin not as good

Hope that helps...
Original post by Anonymous

STI's aren't a problem as both myself and my boyfriend have only ever slept with each other

you should still keep condoms somewhere in case.
Reply 8
im on yasmin.
pros: skin is clearer, less painful periods, greater percentage of protection and if you're going on holiday/school trips you can miss your period and it is perfectly safe.
cons: longer periods, slight morning sickness for the first couple of days when yo start taking it.

im not sure if I could say that Yasmin increased my boob size, as i'm still growing (even tho. i'm nearing 18.) pretty much, as long as your reasonably healthy, and not deficient in iron (which causes the pill to not work as effectively) they'd be no major side effects.
Reply 9
Original post by Anonymous
Thank you :smile:

Did the spots go of their own accord while you were still on the pill or did they only go once you stopped taking it?

Im still taking it and its improved by itself :smile:
I did gain a few pounds as you might start to notice you eat a bit more lol :tongue:
I didn't have as many spots coming through every month :smile:

And my doctor told me, it is best to start taking your first pack of pills on the first day of your next period. If you do this, it will be more effective from day one :smile:
Oh and don't worry if you start to feel sick in the mornings and feel a bit strange, i had this for at least 5 months when I first took it.

Good luck :smile:
Reply 11
Been on Dianette (specifically used this to treat my acne) and now on Yasmin.

Both keep my skin clear.
And went from a C to an E cup :biggrin:
Pros:
Kept me regular *(99% of the time)
Gave me a better peace of mind
Made periods lighter and far less painful
Possibly made my boobs bigger

Cons:
Made me eat more - caused about 1st weight gain over 2 years but have lost half of that through careful eating)
There was an incident where I had what felt like a proper period (very hormonal, went from angry to sad in a flash) when I wasn't meant to bleed, but this can sometimes happen and the nurse said it happens more than girls think
Can make you so used to taking the little pill that you take a second one in a day when meaning to take a pain killer for a headache and making yourself feel sick and panic (or was that just me... :colondollar:)
Reply 13
I'm on microgynon.

Pros- period regularity or skipping for holidays, bigger boobs, better skin, and of course contraception :P

Cons - with the first packet, and when i put 2 packets back to back, i got a bit of breakthrough bleeding. Periods last longer, but are slightly lighter.
Reply 14
I'm on Ovranette

Pros:
Lighter, shorter periods
Able to regulate/delay when i get my period
Lost a little bit of weight
No bloating
My skin cleared up quite a bit

Cons:
No increase in boobage :frown:
Still haven;t quite got the hang of taking it every day lol
Usually get some breakthrough bleeding if i try to run 2 packets back to back.
yasmin

lost a little bit of weight in the first few weeks cos I was quite nauseous (regained it afterwards), since then havnt really change, my boobs swell up a lot sometimes but Im not gonna complain about that (i think its just water retention)

my skin has never been bad but it's absolutely spotless not, I ahvnt had a single spot since I started taking yasmin

plus, sex is better and you get to control when youre on your bleed which is particularly good for uni cos it means I never have to be on if I meet my boyfriend during a holiday or when we get back after a break etc
The pill hasn't affected my weight or skin at all, nor my boobs :p: it has made my periods much lighter and shorter though, and I no longer get any period pains, so it's been pretty good for me :smile:
Reply 17
what do you mean you can
Reply 18
what do you mean you can "miss your periods"???
Original post by poiuy
im on yasmin.
pros: skin is clearer, less painful periods, greater percentage of protection and if you're going on holiday/school trips you can miss your period and it is perfectly safe.
cons: longer periods, slight morning sickness for the first couple of days when yo start taking it.

im not sure if I could say that Yasmin increased my boob size, as i'm still growing (even tho. i'm nearing 18.) pretty much, as long as your reasonably healthy, and not deficient in iron (which causes the pill to not work as effectively) they'd be no major side effects.
Reply 19
Original post by dthaeler
what do you mean you can "miss your periods"???

That message is 6 years old. What they probably meant tho is that you can run two packs of pills without a break week meaning you would "skip" your "period week" for that month.

With most pills you take it 21 days then have 7 day break which causes withdrawal bleeding which is basically your period. So if you take the pills for 21 days and instead of your 7 day break, you start another pack, you don't bleed. Although it raises the risk of break through bleeding.

Quick Reply

Latest