Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Make-up ideas, colours, techniques Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emma1701)
    can anyone reccomend a good foundation for really pale skin that won't fall off my face halfway through the day?
    The one that I mentioned has a very pale shade Bourjois 10 hour sleep effect. watch the tutorial too. It's a great foundation.

Have a look through the last page it should be there. I use this foundation and I have extremely pale skin. hope this helps hun

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emma1701)
    can anyone reccomend a good foundation for really pale skin that won't fall off my face halfway through the day?
    I use NARS Sheer Glow and they have some very pale shades. It's expensive but lasts all day, 2 days if I'm too lazy to take it off! I would recommend the shades Siberia or Mont Blanc for very pale complexions (depending on your undertones).

http://www.narscosmetics.co.uk/compl...oundation.html

ReputationRep:
    How about this.....I dont genuinly use unknown brands of make-up simply because I like to wear good quality stuff that know will stay on and blend well. But does anyone have any unknown brands of make-up they find really good, excellent quality and will probably make it to the big named stuff.

For example, my favourte brands have to be bourjois, max factor and Urban decay. What is everyone else's favourite brand of make-up and does anyone have something they want to reccomend from an unknown retailer?

Be interesting to see what people some up with.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lovin)
    How about this.....I dont genuinly use unknown brands of make-up simply because I like to wear good quality stuff that know will stay on and blend well. But does anyone have any unknown brands of make-up they find really good, excellent quality and will probably make it to the big named stuff.

For example, my favourte brands have to be bourjois, max factor and Urban decay. What is everyone else's favourite brand of make-up and does anyone have something they want to reccomend from an unknown retailer?

Out of interest how good are the urban decay eyeshadow pallets?
    I have loads of eyeshadow at the moment just brands such as No7, Rimmel and Collection 2000 so they're not expensive and they never last on a night out so I want something good quality that will last

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kim_xx)
    Out of interest how good are the urban decay eyeshadow pallets?
    I have loads of eyeshadow at the moment just brands such as No7, Rimmel and Collection 2000 so they're not expensive and they never last on a night out so I want something good quality that will last
    I like the Urban decay Pallet that I posted earlier in the thread, the only problem with it is that there is lots of glitter and it gets EVERYWHERE, you wouldnt believe. It comes with a prima too which is fantastic (although doesnt stop the glitter getting everywhere) The shadows stay on all day and the colours really pop. Hope this helps hun.

ReputationRep:
    BarryM is amazing for colour. Personally I'm quite pale and blonde so all the razzle dazzle colours don't suit me.

I currently love jade/mint blues on my nails, and that lovely duck egg colour! I've noticed alot of girls wearing multicolour nail varnish aswell.
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Love this thread! I love all the bright eyeshadow stuff but never have the nerves to wear it!

I always just stick to my black eyeliner :sadnod:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fliq)
    BarryM is amazing for colour. Personally I'm quite pale and blonde so all the razzle dazzle colours don't suit me.

I currently love jade/mint blues on my nails, and that lovely duck egg colour! I've noticed alot of girls wearing multicolour nail varnish aswell.
    Yeh I noticed that too, there's a nail varnish, I believe by BarryM and it cracks over the existing nail polish, saw a girl wearing it and it looked awesome. But I'm not a fan of painting my nails. Can never get t right for one lol

I'm very very pale and got mousy brown hair too so I know what you mean but honestly just try themout and blend them in with your skin. All you need it a very light beige or pink and use a blending eye shadow brush and blend out the colour into your brow line.

(Original post by greeneyedgirl)
    Love this thread! I love all the bright eyeshadow stuff but never have the nerves to wear it!

I always just stick to my black eyeliner :sadnod:
    Nooooo, you should experiment with the bright colours. A lot of people dont think it suits them but if you blend it in right to you skin it looks awesome. I'd show you what I did the other night, I tried the hot pink and the purple idea that I posted but didnt have the hot pink, so I did it with purple and blue instead and everyone at work remarked on how nice it looked.
    Try some ideas and if your not comfortable with that try some different coloured eyeliner first, like white or blue or even green.
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lovin)
    Yeh I noticed that too, there's a nail varnish, I believe by BarryM and it cracks over the existing nail polish, saw a girl wearing it and it looked awesome. But I'm not a fan of painting my nails. Can never get t right for one lol

I'm very very pale and got mousy brown hair too so I know what you mean but honestly just try themout and blend them in with your skin. All you need it a very light beige or pink and use a blending eye shadow brush and blend out the colour into your brow line.

Nooooo, you should experiment with the bright colours. A lot of people dont think it suits them but if you blend it in right to you skin it looks awesome. I'd show you what I did the other night, I tried the hot pink and the purple idea that I posted but didnt have the hot pink, so I did it with purple and blue instead and everyone at work remarked on how nice it looked.
    Try some ideas and if your not comfortable with that try some different coloured eyeliner first, like white or blue or even green.
    Oh it does suit me and looks great, but I always feel it stands out too much! Plus I wear a lot of brightly coloured/patterned clothes so just doesn't seem to work that well!

I do go to town on my nails though! Do a lot of themed work (most recently pacman themed)

ReputationRep:
    On my day off i'll experiment wth bright colours and just to show you how pale I am i'll show you a picture of me without hair done or make-up in fact it was took outside a tent in a music festival.

Please - no insults I know I look horrid so hold your tongues lol. But if I can use bright makeup then so can you. Just find the right colour to blend it into the surrounding skin. and it will look perfect.

This isn't the bright look but the more natural look that I tried.

The trick is BLENDING. It doesnt matter what colours you put on. Practice your blending girls and you'll never have to stray away from bright colours. And you'll be able to manipulate them to your advantage when experimenting with other looks. Look forward to seeing any of the pictures

ReputationRep:
    love this thread idea. i'm obsessed with beauty blogs/youtube too.
    for long lasting foundation i use estee lauder double wear light in shade 1 which is perfect for paler skin tones.
    also have the naked palette and love it!

ReputationRep:
    So many girls are now suffering from inverse orange face effect i.e. they now have an orange body and pale face. I demand this crime against cosmetology be ceased at once.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone still get spray tans these days?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mega Nerd)

I've seen it in House of Fraser, I think for about £35, which is the lowest I've seen it. Even on eBay the prices are about £50-£90 which I don't quite understand :confused:

xo
    Supply and demand

ReputationRep:
    Keep the Ideas coming ladies. Even if you make a vid yourself. Post it here and the before and after pics. My next day off i'll really work on updating this thread for you all glad your liking my thread

ReputationRep:
    Right, time to update this thread with more ideas for my girlies to try out

These colours are gorgeous, would probably only wear this on a night out. But still worth practising to get it perfect. Remember your brushes ladies and practise with the blending.

The green and the pink go really well together but I think this would take a certain skin tone to pull t off. I think if your really pale this look would probably make you look really washed out. The colours are very pale which won't do your eyes any good, they won't pop. If you get my meaning. This would suit darker skin colours and possibly even tanned people. Be careful though, even though you might be tanned it could still come across very washed out. Lovely colours though. Anyone tries this out be sure to post pictures

This constitues a very light/turqoise blue and a hot pink with a bit of black to smoke the eye, white to highlight the brow. This look would requite a lot of blending and a patient hand to practise. Blending the black into a lighter colour and such a powerful colour like hot pink too then blending the hot pink into the white.
    I have been trying to take pics of the looks iv been trying out but the camera wont focus and the picture looks so god damn blurry. but any other feel free to post tips and photos of your recent ideas and attempts

Now - I have found that since I have blue eyes, if i wear a blue it takes a lot of the blue out of my eyes. I like to focus on my eyes as I feel its the best feature of my face.
    So instead of using blue I use colours that will highlight the colour of my eye, like browns pinks and greens. Dont forget that to make your eyes stand out you have to work with your eye colour.
    Brown eyes aren't too bad, you can still wear lovely natural browns and your eyes will still pop. Hazel eyes be very careful of green and pinks. Certain greens and pink will highlight yours eyes where others will make them look washed out. (usually pale coloured)

Enjoy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lovin)

MUA- it's in Superdrug, and although I wouldn't recommend stuff like the lipsticks their eyeshadows are actually pretty good. They only cost £1 each so for if you are feeling a little strapped for cash then you can't go wrong at all with them! My biggest complaint would be that the range is fairly limited but nonetheless I've found that they stay on for ages without creasing.
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lovin)
    Now - I have found that since I have blue eyes, if i wear a blue it takes a lot of the blue out of my eyes. I like to focus on my eyes as I feel its the best feature of my face.
    So instead of using blue I use colours that will highlight the colour of my eye, like browns pinks and greens. Dont forget that to make your eyes stand out you have to work with your eye colour.
    Brown eyes aren't too bad, you can still wear lovely natural browns and your eyes will still pop. Hazel eyes be very careful of green and pinks. Certain greens and pink will highlight yours eyes where others will make them look washed out. (usually pale coloured)

Enjoy
    On the topic of which eyeshadows to use with different eye colours, I have green eyes so I use a lot of purples, blacks, greys, pinks. Silvers and blues also look good but I'm quite olive skinned so steer clear of them.

The other day one of my younger cousins was over and she wanted me to do her makeup and her favourite colours are blue and purple so I did a really light blue gradually going into a deep purple which looked amazing, but forgot to take a pic! It's always easier doing makeup on someone else!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greeneyedgirl)
    On the topic of which eyeshadows to use with different eye colours, I have green eyes so I use a lot of purples, blacks, greys, pinks. Silvers and blues also look good but I'm quite olive skinned so steer clear of them.

The other day one of my younger cousins was over and she wanted me to do her makeup and her favourite colours are blue and purple so I did a really light blue gradually going into a deep purple which looked amazing, but forgot to take a pic! It's always easier doing makeup on someone else!

Oh yeh, always find that because you can correct a mistake on someone else before youv even done it, can see what your doing better too. The colour contrasts and such.

Light blue going into a deep purple sounds amazing....hmm let me see if i can find a picture to work from

Edit::

Like to know why this post is getting negged. Dont feel like iv said anything untoward, just that it's easier to see what youv done wrong on someone else than yourself...you can correct it quicker....didnt feel there was anything nasty about that.
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lovin)
    Oh yeh, always find that because you can correct a mistake on someone else before youv even done it, can see what your doing better too. The colour contrasts and such.

Light blue going into a deep purple sounds amazing....hmm let me see if i can find a picture to work from
    Esp as I have bad eyesight in one eye so when my good eye is shut I have to use a lot of guesswork...

It was kind of like this

But started with an ice blue before going into the turquoise. Also I used an ice white for bottom lid going out to almost underline the purple section. I also used glittery turquoise eyeliner on top lid, but that's cos she's 7 and loves glitter!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.