The Student Room Group

Make-up ideas, colours, techniques

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by greeneyedgirl
Esp as I have bad eyesight in one eye so when my good eye is shut I have to use a lot of guesswork...

It was kind of like this

But started with an ice blue before going into the turquoise. Also I used an ice white for bottom lid going out to almost underline the purple section. I also used glittery turquoise eyeliner on top lid, but that's cos she's 7 and loves glitter!

Ooooo i like it. May have to try this one :biggrin: thanks for posting it tee hee, plenty of ideas to practise now. Will update the thread on my next day off. Maybe focusing a little less on eyes ha ha done a lot on eyes :smile:
Reply 61
MakeupAdikt does some brilliant tutorials! I love her Arab, Bridal and Celeb inspired tutorials (I've never been brave enough to attempt anything more than my usual eyeliner across the top-lid, but one of these days I'll try something a little more interesting!)

OMG, I can't believe I never really noted this before, but if you are dark skinned, you really need to base your eyelids with something like white eyeliner in order for certain eyeshadow colours to properly show up (Too Faced Shadow Insurance alone does NOT do the trick). Which I see makes such sense as you're creating a bit more of a blank canvas for the colour to pop. What a difference it made when I applied yellow eyeshadow today (which hardly showed up last time I tried) :smile:
Reply 63
I absolutely love doing eye make up - i've done a numerous of occasions such as weddings, peoples proms and parties - but eyeshaddow doesn't suit me! So everytime i'd do my eye make up, it just doesn't look right! Which is so unfortunate as it can look so beautiful and i love all the colours :frown:
Reply 64
I have no idea how to do even basic make up so hopefully this thread will be useful!

*subscribes*
Reply 65
Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom
OMG, I can't believe I never really noted this before, but if you are dark skinned, you really need to base your eyelids with something like white eyeliner in order for certain eyeshadow colours to properly show up (Too Faced Shadow Insurance alone does NOT do the trick). Which I see makes such sense as you're creating a bit more of a blank canvas for the colour to pop. What a difference it made when I applied yellow eyeshadow today (which hardly showed up last time I tried) :smile:

I know what you mean, although im not dark skinned Is uppose it could be hard to get a colour to pop, I know when im trying to lighten a colour it's always hard if iv got a dark colour before. So I guess it works the same with skin. What about a prima? Like an eyeshadow base? Put that on first and layer the colours. Does that work?

Original post by n33t
I absolutely love doing eye make up - i've done a numerous of occasions such as weddings, peoples proms and parties - but eyeshaddow doesn't suit me! So everytime i'd do my eye make up, it just doesn't look right! Which is so unfortunate as it can look so beautiful and i love all the colours :frown:

No such thing hun :smile: You have to find the right colours that will not only work with your skin but your eyes too.
Make-up always looks strange when you first do it because your not used to seeing colour on your face. When I first started doing it, it looked wierd too. Just practise more and experiment with different colours. Find the colours that suit your eyes and get used to that look first before you start experimenting, that way it'll seem less strange when you go for different looks. Try a natural look first. Something like this.

Original post by d123
I have no idea how to do even basic make up so hopefully this thread will be useful!

*subscribes*

What are you having trouble with hun and i'll try to find some tutorials to help you. Plenty of people on this thread too to help you out with any hints and tips :smile:
Seeing as you lot are into your makeup etc, can someone please recommend me a liquid liner that will stay on and I can do flicks etc with easily.

Ive got MAC fluidline but generally only use it on my bottom waterline and need a good quality liquid liner for the top tbh.

Thanks!
Also a good mascara? I've been using maybelline I think cuz I got it free on a boots offer but I don't really like it.
Reply 68
Original post by Serentonin
Seeing as you lot are into your makeup etc, can someone please recommend me a liquid liner that will stay on and I can do flicks etc with easily.

Ive got MAC fluidline but generally only use it on my bottom waterline and need a good quality liquid liner for the top tbh.

Thanks!

Look at the first page where I reccomended the bourjois liner Pincaeu. Great eyeliner for doing the flicks, its the one i use :smile: soft brush, lterally paints on the line. :smile:
Original post by Lovin
Look at the first page where I reccomended the bourjois liner Pincaeu. Great eyeliner for doing the flicks, its the one i use :smile: soft brush, lterally paints on the line. :smile:

Brilliant thanks.

(sorry, should have looked through the thread before posting...:redface:)
Also a good mascara? I've been using maybelline I think cuz I got it free on a boots offer but I don't really like it.

Hey S! I have tried loads of mascara's but I find the best one from drug store has to be the loreal volume million lashes! Its amazing and makes my lashes go from light and boring to longer, thicker, black, seperated lashes - wouldn't spend the money anymore on high end mascara's when this one performs so much better for me!

I've heard good reviews of the max factor is it lash fusion? its in a purple tube.

HTH xx
Original post by catherine7757
Hey S! I have tried loads of mascara's but I find the best one from drug store has to be the loreal volume million lashes! Its amazing and makes my lashes go from light and boring to longer, thicker, black, seperated lashes - wouldn't spend the money anymore on high end mascara's when this one performs so much better for me!

I've heard good reviews of the max factor is it lash fusion? its in a purple tube.

HTH xx

Ahh brilliant, thank you very much for your help! Going into town in a bit so will find this :smile:

Rimmel Volume Flash Extreme Black
http://www.rimmellondon.com/uk/products/volume-flash-x-10-extreme-black/

Oh it's so good! Gives me lashes to die for!
anyone tried Nars Penny Lane creme blush? I'm very tempted but need some justification with the size of my collection as it stands! I love the Nars Sheer Glow - I only bought it cause lollipop26 of youtube recommended it years ago. Was not disappointed.

Also was in house of fraser on saturday morning and the girl talked me into trying some skin products - she used the porefessional (a primer which felt so velvety soft and is marketed to hide fine lines.) you rebel lite tinted moisturiser and bella bamba blush and OMG it was stunning. As a through and through foundation girl I find it hard to go to the extreme of a tinted moisturiser but it really worked all it needed was a little bit of concealer and it evened out my skin tone my skin felt light and as though it was breathing. I need to get all these products lol
I love all these beautiful eye make-up looks, but can never get them looking right! Is it a matter of practising and practising, or do I need to invest in some expensive brushes or eyeshadows?
Original post by SoapyDish
I love all these beautiful eye make-up looks, but can never get them looking right! Is it a matter of practising and practising, or do I need to invest in some expensive brushes or eyeshadows?

Personally I find as long as you've got an eyeshadow brush, and preferably a blending brush and an eyeliner brush (for more detail) it's all achievable. No need for expensive makeup, some cheap makeup has great pigment ratio and staying power, so it really is just practice and making sure you have enough time to do them rather than rushing them.

Plus there are the tips like using sellotape to get straight lines in flicks, putting excess powder just under your eye so if any eyeshadow drops off you can brush it away :smile:
Reply 76
Original post by SoapyDish

I would reccomend a good eye shadow prima, that way whatever make-up brand you use the eyeshadow will stay.
It's good to get a few brushes, it's all abotu what you find best for yourself. I prefer the body shop brushes theyre not as expensive as the Mac ones. But theyre soft and hold a lot of colour. It's all about what you prefer.
I actually tried blending with an applcator and its doable to a certain extent and will creats a nice look but wont blend the colours properly. To start off just get an applicator like the ones you get in make-up sets anyway and then just a blending brush. Equally as good, but for the more experimental looks I would reccomend getting a few brushes so that you can find whats good for you. :smile: hope this helps.
Reply 77
For those having difficulty with foundation or basic techniques. Here's a quick and easy tutorial for your foundation :smile: Pasted from About.com :smile:

The right foundation will even out your skin tone and give you the appearance of flawless skin. But you have to do it right, otherwise you risk looking like a ... clown. Follow these steps for a flawless complexion.
Difficulty: Easy
Time Required: 2 minutes
Here's How:

Begin with clean hands and a clean face
Apply a moisturizing sunscreen, moisturizer or primer that's perfect for your skin type. All foundations will go on more smoothly if the skin is well-hydrated. Foundation primer is my pick, because it creates a smooth surface for foundation. (Some makeup artists believe it's a crime not to prime).
Let the moisturizer, sunscreen or primer set for a few minutes.
Wipe off any excess moisturizer with a tissue. Greasy skin will make the foundation slip and slide.
Camouflouge your dark, under-eye circleswith a concealer. Pat, never rub, the concealer into skin.
Using a makeup sponge or the tips of your fingers, apply dots of foundation on your cheeks, chin, forehead and tip of the nose. Makeup artists swear by foundation brushes to apply product. They soak up less foundation and blend flawlessly.
Using the sponge, your fingertips or the foundation brush, blend the dots together. Pay special attention to your hairline and jawline to ensure there's no obvious line.
Set the foundation with loose powder immediately after application.

Tips:

You don't have to put foundation all over your face. Try spot-fixes for those areas that need coverage (likely around the eyes, nose and chin).
Don't want to go all out with a foundation? Tinted moisturizers may be all you need if your complexion is dewy, but you want a light, sheer wash to even out blotchiness. My favorite tinted moisturizers are by Bobbi Brown and Laura Mercier. Compare Prices
If you use a sponge, make sure and wash out it out well so it doesn't start harboring all sorts of nasty bacteria. These Wonderpro sponges are cheap and work perfectly. Compare Prices

What You Need:

1 makeup sponge or foundation brush
foundation for your skin type
concealer
moisturizing sunscreen

Foundation brush :smile:

Foundation Sponge

Use what you feel works best for you for a flawless coversage :smile:
Or if you don't want to use foundation I find rimmel match perfection pressed powder really effective in giving a good even coverage :smile:
Reply 79
Original post by greeneyedgirl
Or if you don't want to use foundation I find rimmel match perfection pressed powder really effective in giving a good even coverage :smile:

Iv never been a fan of just using pressed powder. I use liquid foundation then lightly dust it with some powder.
Out of curiosity why use just powder? Is it a better coverage or is it just personal preference. I might try it one day and see how it looks. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest