The Student Room Group

Make-up ideas, colours, techniques

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
Original post by doubledot
Searched and found a video for you. It's actually a link to a lady who has done my make up before and she shows you how to use this stuff (it's at the end). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Um9AkLELBY

Not sure where you can buy it but I get mine online. Just google Dr. Lipp and there should be tonnes of links to stores selling it.

Thank you hun :smile: really appreciate it and if you have any more products you would like to reccomend post em :smile:
Original post by Lovin
Thank you hun :smile: really appreciate it and if you have any more products you would like to reccomend post em :smile:

Great thread OP :biggrin:

I know this isnt very exciting at all and I know its kind of out of place here but Im going to post it anyway :colondollar:

For a Matt neutral, everyday eye look I uset the naked pallette (which on a side note, is one of the best purchases I've ever made make up-wise.)

Its very easy to do and perfect for everyday. I also think its great eye make up for when you want to wear a bold lip!

Just use the primer all over your lid and you dont need much of the urban decay one at all because a little goes along way.
Then pack the colour "naked" all over the lid.
Next, take some of the colour buck and concentrate it on the outer corner of your crease. I just place most of the colour from my brush there and then bring it up to the rest of my crease. I concentrate most of the colour on the outercorner of my crease so as it goes towards the inner corner it gets alot more subtle and there is just a hint of colour on the crease in the inner corner. I then use a brush (or even my finger when Im lazy lol) to blend out any harsh lines above the crease.

I then line my upper lash line as close to the lash line as I can and put a a teeny bit of the colour "virgin" under my browbone an in the tear duct area. For the day time I dont line my lower lash line as I have very black hair so for some reason when I wear alot of eyeliner it looks kind of goth-y (I think Im the only one who thinks this but still :tongue:)

I wore this to an interview the other day as it is a very polished/groomed and natural look.

I also use this as the base for alot of other looks.
I sometimes use either hustle or dark horse over buck in the very outercorner of my crease and lid. I will then add smog in the middle of the lid and blend that into the darkhorse/hustle. I blend it well so it creates a gradient effect. So...the naked is the base and in the inner third of the lid, blended into a bit of smog in the middle of the lid, blended into some dark horse/hustle in the outer corner, with buck in the crease. I also take some dark horse/hustle on the lower lash line. It creates a smokey eye appropriate for the evening. :biggrin:

Love this thread and love reading all the contributions! Its deffinitely inspired me to use more colour so when I get money Im gping to buy colourful eyeshadows. :smile:

P.s sorry for my crappy instructions girls!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 142
Original post by ilovefashion90
Great thread OP :biggrin:

I know this isnt very exciting at all and I know its kind of out of place here but Im going to post it anyway :colondollar:

For a Matt neutral, everyday eye look I uset the naked pallette (which on a side note, is one of the best purchases I've ever made make up-wise.)

Its very easy to do and perfect for everyday. I also think its great eye make up for when you want to wear a bold lip!

Just use the primer all over your lid and you dont need much of the urban decay one at all because a little goes along way.
Then pack the colour "naked" all over the lid.
Next, take some of the colour buck and concentrate it on the outer corner of your crease. I just place most of the colour from my brush there and then bring it up to the rest of my crease. I concentrate most of the colour on the outercorner of my crease so as it goes towards the inner corner it gets alot more subtle and there is just a hint of colour on the crease in the inner corner. I then use a brush (or even my finger when Im lazy lol) to blend out any harsh lines above the crease.

I then line my upper lash line as close to the lash line as I can and put a a teeny bit of the colour "virgin" under my browbone an in the tear duct area. For the day time I dont line my lower lash line as I have very black hair so for some reason when I wear alot of eyeliner it looks kind of goth-y (I think Im the only one who thinks this but still :tongue:)

I wore this to an interview the other day as it is a very polished/groomed and natural look.

I also use this as the base for alot of other looks.
I sometimes use either hustle or dark horse over buck in the very outercorner of my crease and lid. I will then add smog in the middle of the lid and blend that into the darkhorse/hustle. I blend it well so it creates a gradient effect. So...the naked is the base and in the inner third of the lid, blended into a bit of smog in the middle of the lid, blended into some dark horse/hustle in the outer corner, with buck in the crease. I also take some dark horse/hustle on the lower lash line. It creates a smokey eye appropriate for the evening. :biggrin:

Love this thread and love reading all the contributions! Its deffinitely inspired me to use more colour so when I get money Im gping to buy colourful eyeshadows. :smile:

P.s sorry for my crappy instructions girls!

I may need to get this palette :rolleyes:

I love the urban decay palette Book of shadows 3. Love the colours and everything. Hmmmm, some investing is in order.

Did people know btw, (this is only what iv heard so someone correct me if im wrong please) but apparently urban decay have gone bust as a company? Apparently they're liquidising all their stuff and got told this when i went to boots to ask where their Urban decay stuff was and this is what they told me.
Is it true?
Original post by Lovin
I may need to get this palette :rolleyes:

I love the urban decay palette Book of shadows 3. Love the colours and everything. Hmmmm, some investing is in order.

Did people know btw, (this is only what iv heard so someone correct me if im wrong please) but apparently urban decay have gone bust as a company? Apparently they're liquidising all their stuff and got told this when i went to boots to ask where their Urban decay stuff was and this is what they told me.
Is it true?

Don't believe what the Boots person said. Urban Decay are trying to be a more "high-end" brand , so now they've moved their counters to Debenhams and House of Fraser instead :wink:
Reply 144
Original post by eskamulia
Don't believe what the Boots person said. Urban Decay are trying to be a more "high-end" brand , so now they've moved their counters to Debenhams and House of Fraser instead :wink:

Oh good so you can still get their products then. I was quite horrified i was like Nooooooo. So wanted the naked palette. Thank you :smile:
Original post by Lovin
Oh good so you can still get their products then. I was quite horrified i was like Nooooooo. So wanted the naked palette. Thank you :smile:

LOOL! Am I the only one who found what the boots lady said funny? :colondollar: Loool at her trying to lie! I dont know why she would be embarassed though, its not like she owns boots so why is she trying so hard to defend them.
And psht who do urban decay think they are?! Other high end brands still have counters at boots so I think that this is a bad move by them. I dont see how this would increase their profit/image in any way!
I love all the eyeshadow looks but where do you wear them?!
Reply 147
Original post by ilovefashion90
LOOL! Am I the only one who found what the boots lady said funny? :colondollar: Loool at her trying to lie! I dont know why she would be embarassed though, its not like she owns boots so why is she trying so hard to defend them.
And psht who do urban decay think they are?! Other high end brands still have counters at boots so I think that this is a bad move by them. I dont see how this would increase their profit/image in any way!

Well when you put it like that, i really dont see how it could. I would have thought the more sensible thing would be to keep it in a well known cosmetic store, rather than debenhams etc. But never the less I'll still buy their products. :biggrin:
Cant believe that damn woman lied to me grrrrr. Thanks for putting it straight though :smile:

Original post by kiss_me_now9
I love all the eyeshadow looks but where do you wear them?!

Which one are you looking at hun? We had a few posted that you can obviously only wear out on fancy dress. But a lot of them you can wear day to day?
Original post by Lovin
Missed you out with the quotes hun. Whats the miss sporty eye liner like? easy to apply?

Hope you find ideas and inspiration from this thread and if you have any ideas what so ever dont be afriad to post. Any tips or product reccomendations :biggrin: happy to hear them. We do have a bloke too who's showing this thread to his gf too :rolleyes:

Yeah, the wand on the eyeliner's quite thin so its good for using in the daytime, and you can easily make the line thicker so its more dramatic for night, stays on well too :smile:. Sure, I'll post anything else I come across, etc. :smile:.
Reply 149
The Urban Decay move seems like a bad one to me. I love their stuff but I also love plenty of other brands that *are* stocked in Boots, at similar price/quality levels, and I love my advantage points. So whilst I'll still buy key pieces that I covet from UD (e.g. when I finally got my Naked pallette) I think they'll lose my custom when it comes to things like mascara, eyeliner, blusher etc. because I'll be inclined to think "Well, this Too Faced blusher is just as good and I'll get my points" and buy from them instead.
Original post by Lovin
On my day off i'll experiment wth bright colours and just to show you how pale I am i'll show you a picture of me without hair done or make-up in fact it was took outside a tent in a music festival.

Please - no insults I know I look horrid so hold your tongues lol. But if I can use bright makeup then so can you. Just find the right colour to blend it into the surrounding skin. and it will look perfect.

You don't horrid, you look lovely. Your hair is beautiful.
Reply 151
Original post by JessyPhil
You don't horrid, you look lovely. Your hair is beautiful.

Aww thank you. I felt like I looked really washed out in this pic and my hair had gone all curly. Thats the way it is naturally but I spose if you have straight hair you want curly hair if you have curly hair you want straight hair. Always the way lol
Reply 152
The hair and make up of Vivienne Westwood s/s 2012 collection looks incredible!
Reply 153
Original post by dior
The hair and make up of Vivienne Westwood s/s 2012 collection looks incredible!

Hey hun have you got a link or some photo's just to show people on the thread what to look for?
Just done some newspaper nail print stuff, works really well!

Tip: if you don't have rubbing alcohol, vodka works just as well!
Original post by greeneyedgirl

What's newspaper nail printing? I'm interested! Can you print onto your nail like transfers?
Original post by greeneyedgirl

I tried that a few weeks ago, and got loads of comments at work about them :biggrin: I used alcohol hand gel.

I got a "magnetic manicure" done at Nails Inc the other day. The nail varnish has magnetic filings in, and the lid of the bottle has a magnet. You paint on two coats and while the top coat is wet, you hold the lid over and it makes awesome patterns. They have it in silver, gold, or purple (which is what I had). I've attached a photo - sorry there's a glare!
Original post by SoapyDish
I tried that a few weeks ago, and got loads of comments at work about them :biggrin: I used alcohol hand gel.

I got a "magnetic manicure" done at Nails Inc the other day. The nail varnish has magnetic filings in, and the lid of the bottle has a magnet. You paint on two coats and while the top coat is wet, you hold the lid over and it makes awesome patterns. They have it in silver, gold, or purple (which is what I had). I've attached a photo - sorry there's a glare!

Jealous! I've been trying to get one of the purple magnetic paints but last time I went to get one they said it was sold out at their warehouse! Could be a few weeks before I can get it :frown:
What is it that everyone likes so much about the urban decay naked palette? I'm not that creative with makeup, but to me it looks like most of what you could do with it would all look the same :s-smilie:
Original post by PaperChain
Jealous! I've been trying to get one of the purple magnetic paints but last time I went to get one they said it was sold out at their warehouse! Could be a few weeks before I can get it :frown:

I got mine done for £5 (normally £17.50) at the concession in House Of Fraser, Victoria, London, with O2 Priority Moments...If you're on O2 you could have a look?

Quick Reply

Latest