Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Make-up ideas, colours, techniques

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kaylafrances)
    What's newspaper nail printing? I'm interested! Can you print onto your nail like transfers?
    Yeah pretty much!

Basically paint your nails like normal (base coat then colour) but make sure the colour isn't too dark (mine are bright pink because that's the lightest nail polish I could find). Make sure the nail polish is fully dry and not sticky at all. Fill a lid with alcohol rubbing gel or vodka (other alcohols may work too I guess) then dip a nail into it for a few seconds. Get some newspaper and press it onto the nail. Carefully peel it off and you're left with a backwards print of the newspaper. Put a top coat on over the top to preserve the print

I really like this as nail art because I keep my nails short so that I can play guitar, and unlike some other nail art it doesn't look worse for being on shorter nails!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greeneyedgirl)
    Yeah pretty much!

Basically paint your nails like normal (base coat then colour) but make sure the colour isn't too dark (mine are bright pink because that's the lightest nail polish I could find). Make sure the nail polish is fully dry and not sticky at all. Fill a lid with alcohol rubbing gel or vodka (other alcohols may work too I guess) then dip a nail into it for a few seconds. Get some newspaper and press it onto the nail. Carefully peel it off and you're left with a backwards print of the newspaper. Put a top coat on over the top to preserve the print

I really like this as nail art because I keep my nails short so that I can play guitar, and unlike some other nail art it doesn't look worse for being on shorter nails!
    Wow! That's awesome I thought it was going to be with proper sticker thingys, not just normal newspaper. I have to try this now lol

ReputationRep:
    Just done some newspaper nail print stuff, works really well!

Tip: if you don't have rubbing alcohol, vodka works just as well!
    I'm gonna sound quite stupid, but what's rubbing alcohol? :rolleyes:
    (Original post by SoapyDish)
    I tried that a few weeks ago, and got loads of comments at work about them I used alcohol hand gel.

I got a "magnetic manicure" done at Nails Inc the other day. The nail varnish has magnetic filings in, and the lid of the bottle has a magnet. You paint on two coats and while the top coat is wet, you hold the lid over and it makes awesome patterns. They have it in silver, gold, or purple (which is what I had). I've attached a photo - sorry there's a glare!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah pretty much!

wow, i had a feeling you would say that. probably would have thought it myself at some point but it looks amazing thank youuu

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PaperChain)
    Wow! That's awesome I thought it was going to be with proper sticker thingys, not just normal newspaper. I have to try this now lol
    Nope, normal newspaper

(Original post by Mega Nerd)
    I'm gonna sound quite stupid, but what's rubbing alcohol? :rolleyes:
    Pretty much 100% ethanol, used for like disinfectants and stuff

(Original post by kaylafrances)
    wow, i had a feeling you would say that. probably would have thought it myself at some point but it looks amazing thank youuu
    I might try it at some point with pictures from newspapers to see if that works too!

ReputationRep:
    I might try it at some point with pictures from newspapers to see if that works too!
    I searched for a video on how to do your newspaper nails and the same person had done this video on comic strip nails

Been watching all her other videos too and now I can't decide what nail art to try first! She makes it all look so easy but I bet it's not if you try it lol

ReputationRep:
    I searched for a video on how to do your newspaper nails and the same person had done this video on comic strip nails

Been watching all her other videos too and now I can't decide what nail art to try first! She makes it all look so easy but I bet it's not if you try it lol
    I'm sure as long as it's kinda newspaper comic rather than shiny comic it would work, not sure about shiny comic!

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure as long as it's kinda newspaper comic rather than shiny comic it would work, not sure about shiny comic!
    Yeah I don't think a shiny comic would work. You'll have to let us know whether it works or not if you try it

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I don't think a shiny comic would work. You'll have to let us know whether it works or not if you try it
    I shall do, just gotta find some good pics and buy some white nail polish as obvs wouldn't work as well on bright pink nails!

ReputationRep:
    wow these eyeshadows are amazing. I wanna buy one palette with all these colours in them, does it even exist? Coz whenever I buy eyeshadow palette, I only tend to use 2 shades out of 10 there. I am still looking out for 1 dream palette that has all the colours I will actually use

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by preeti4fashion)
    wow these eyeshadows are amazing. I wanna buy one palette with all these colours in them, does it even exist? Coz whenever I buy eyeshadow palette, I only tend to use 2 shades out of 10 there. I am still looking out for 1 dream palette that has all the colours I will actually use
    Make your own, a few companies do that, my personal fav is e.l.f.

ReputationRep:
    Take a Look at this. On the topic of nail colour. I found something really interesting and well worth doing but apparently requires a lot of practice.

Water Marble Nail Colour

Obviously requires a hell of a lot of practice but can look very very pretty. Thought id share

ReputationRep:
    Ahhh yeah been meaning to try that at some point, though I like slightly more edgy nails than kinda pretty pretty ones!

ReputationRep:
    Ahhh yeah been meaning to try that at some point, though I like slightly more edgy nails than kinda pretty pretty ones!
    Same, TRYING to take care of them but failing miserably. would love to try it but can definately see myself wasting a lot of nail polish before i actually get it right

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lovin)
    Same, TRYING to take care of them but failing miserably. would love to try it but can definately see myself wasting a lot of nail polish before i actually get it right
    But worth the effort in the end!

ReputationRep:
    Going back to eye make up, I was bought Benefit Creaseless Cream Shadow / Liner in Skinny Jeans and Get Figgy for my birthday, but I usually just wear a bit of liquid liner, so I haven't got a bloody clue what to do with them! Help would be much appreciated lol

ReputationRep:
    I have newspaper nails Haha I messed them up quite a bit though >.< I smudged the ink when put the top coat on! ;-; Some of them survived though and they look good from a distance lol. Will definitely try this again though!

Apparently that water marble nail art only works with new nail varnish. I am really tempted to give to a go but I doubt I'll get it looking very good lol. And I'm too attached to my messy newspaper nails to take them off yet!
    Am thinking of painting cherries on my toes in a bit though Not that I can see that working out very well either lol

ReputationRep:
    I have painted buzzy bees on my toe nails now I'm surprised how well it went with the nail art brush I bought earlier for just £2

Edit: managed to upload a picture

Also, no one answered my question before about why everyone likes the urban decay naked palette so much, am I just not creative at all or would all the looks you could make with it look basically the same?

ReputationRep:
    Some of those eyeshadow photos were amazing! I tried out a neutral-y look using mainly ELF products (so cheap), what do people think for a first attempt? I barely ever wear eyeshadow and I want to be able to do it properly before I start waltzing round with it plastered on

Also, ignore what I'm doing with my chin/fists haha.

Spoiler:
    Show

ReputationRep:
    I have a small obsession with collecting pretty colours of nail varnish
    Attached Images

Poll
Which party will you be voting for in the General Election 2017?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.