The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

LSE UMS questions

Hello,

If I get good UMS marks this coming results day, I want to use them to improve my application to maths with econ this year at LSE (applying for straight maths elsewhere). I have a few questions regarding the declaration of UMS marks. Firstly, is it best to get the referee to mention them? I understand that it will waste precious space of my PS, but does LSE read the references seriously? Although I have not seen mine yet, I am getting the feeling that all the response from my teachers would just be: "X is intelligent at this subject; X contributes to school life, etc...". Basically, IMO very subjective/ no proper substance to impress the admssions tutors. So are they still important?

Also, I have "heard" UMS can be declared via UCAS too: is this true? Finally, would constitutes as "outstanding" UMS for LSE, and what would be good enough to declare as a positive aspect of my application?

Thank you
Right, don't mention any of your scores in your PS - that'll waste vital space and it'll be frowned upon because the PS is meant to be about the subject you're going for. I put my UMS scores next to the module titles. For example I wrote: "F351 - Macroeconomics - 92/100 UMS". My teachers also mentioned my overall scores in the reference, but this was just used in a way to provide backing for my predictions. I don't know if UCAS' setup has changed this year so there's actually a box to put in your UMS (I applied last year). 90%+ UMS is very good. If you're going to put down your UMS scores, then put them down for every module/subject, otherwise it'll look like you cocked up somewhere and don't want them to know about it.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Unless it has changed since last year, ucas allows you to put down module grades but not actual module scores. I applied for straight econ last year and they send me a form requesting ums scores after I had summited my ucas but this may not be the case for maths with econ. I was in a simliar spot last year, I had very good module scores but relatively weak gcses. Definately don't write them in your ps but I guess you could get your teachers to write them in your referance. If you have outstanding module scores, which is probably 90 plus in all units and 95 plus in all maths units, then you will be predicted straight A*s which gets the message across that your modules were high anyway.
Original post by twig
Hello,

If I get good UMS marks this coming results day, I want to use them to improve my application to maths with econ this year at LSE (applying for straight maths elsewhere). I have a few questions regarding the declaration of UMS marks. Firstly, is it best to get the referee to mention them? I understand that it will waste precious space of my PS, but does LSE read the references seriously? Although I have not seen mine yet, I am getting the feeling that all the response from my teachers would just be: "X is intelligent at this subject; X contributes to school life, etc...". Basically, IMO very subjective/ no proper substance to impress the admssions tutors. So are they still important?

Also, I have "heard" UMS can be declared via UCAS too: is this true? Finally, would constitutes as "outstanding" UMS for LSE, and what would be good enough to declare as a positive aspect of my application?

Thank you

DO NOT mention UMS on personal statement...You have the ability on UCAS to put further details of your grades, including the exact UMS scores. Teachers know this, hence why they use refrences to give an insight into you as a person.
Reply 4
Hi there,
I applied this year for Economics and was asked my individual unit scores for all my modules in an online form by LSE. They also asked whether I did FM. So in essence it is not necessary to cater to the UMS scores individually.
Reply 5
Original post by zigzagdoom
Hi there,
I applied this year for Economics and was asked my individual unit scores for all my modules in an online form by LSE. They also asked whether I did FM. So in essence it is not necessary to cater to the UMS scores individually.

Yeah, I know for straight econ they ask for UMS, but do not think that is the case for any of the other subjects.

I think I will get them in the references (in they are good), and also try to put them in UCAS, if they can be declared there.
Original post by zigzagdoom
Hi there,

Hi I am applying for lse 13 entry I just wondering how much weight they put on further maths ums scores because I got furiously bad scores . Do they require you to put all the further module scores down as well ? Because I thought they only require an E in it. I only got an A with bad UMS. I got 87 in average of 6 modules and 81 for FM 6 modules average. I got * in maths and a in FM. And did it early so I got all sums scores. And do they ask for other subject UMS as well?
Reply 7
Original post by twig
Hello,

Thank you

Try and get a teacher that knows you well to give you a reference. My maths teacher wrote a really good one which was detailed and fair (and did have substance to impress the admissions tutors). I applied to Maths with Economics at LSE , got an offer A*AA, got the grades and I'm starting next week :smile: Put your UMS scores in UCAS next to your subjects not in your PS as others have said. If some are bad just leave them out I left one out but if you don't want to put them in you don't have to (it's not mandatory for UCAS). During my application I did not get asked for UMS scores for application to this course.
With the PS focus on your passion for Mathematics perhaps some reading you've done/doing and what interests you. Since this course is Maths with Econ then mention some links you are interested with in Maths and Econ. Most of my PS focused on the Maths as I was applying to G100s elsewhere. Good luck with your application :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by ishfish25
Try and get a teacher that knows you well to give you a reference. My maths teacher wrote a really good one which was detailed and fair (and did have substance to impress the admissions tutors). I applied to Maths with Economics at LSE , got an offer A*AA, got the grades and I'm starting next week :smile: Put your UMS scores in UCAS next to your subjects not in your PS as others have said. If some are bad just leave them out I left one out but if you don't want to put them in you don't have to (it's not mandatory for UCAS). During my application I did not get asked for UMS scores for application to this course.
With the PS focus on your passion for Mathematics perhaps some reading you've done/doing and what interests you. Since this course is Maths with Econ then mention some links you are interested with in Maths and Econ. Most of my PS focused on the Maths as I was applying to G100s elsewhere. Good luck with your application :smile:

Purely out of interest can what were your UMS scores at AS? Also, how many A*'s did you achieve at GCSE?
if you did not cache in I don't think you can put your UMS scores in the qualifications section. Am I right in saying this?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending