This discussion is closed.
Jacquie
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Just returned from college. Did a mock exam wek before last on Ob & conformity, and (*****!**) Research Methods and got 78%!
she must have been having a good day when she marked it! I got a couple of the research questions totally wrong, so if it's ok I'd like to send them to you to ask where I went wrong as we didn't get time in class and I can't work out where I went wrong.
thanks for all your help so far - only 3 weeks before my exams so you won't have to put up with my neuroses much longer!
thanks.
HelenBrownsell
Report 16 years ago
Yeah of course Ill have a look. Just post the questions and answers and Ill try my best to give you some suggestions. You did really well though. 78% is nothing to be ashamed of. You should be proud of yourself. Im glad your getting on ok. I have an exam in a couple of weeks on biological psychology, sensation and perception, and cognitive psychology...ahhhh!
Jacquie
There was a correlational study to assertain why teenage girls suffer from anorexia nervosa. The question was;
"give one advantage and one disadvantage in using this method of study".
I said; "One advantage is that you can do a large study- using a large amount of data. One disadvantage is that it is very generalised".

Your advice on what I should have put so I can work out why my answer's wrong. thanks.

Also, is there any chance you can point me in the direction of any studies to look at for both biological and psychological methods re eating disorders? One or two for each method would be great.
thanks a lot.
HelenBrownsell
Report 16 years ago
Hello

The main disadvantage for correlational studies which you can always always always include is that it does not show "cause" and "effect". It can only suggest a relationship between variables, not actually be sure that the independent variable "causes" the "effects" on the dependent variable.

An advantage of a correlational study is that it is conducted in a naturalistic environment so it has greater ecological validity than an experimental study.

I'm not sure about the studies of anorexia but I'll have a look and get back to you.

Helen
HelenBrownsell
Report 16 years ago
Hello

I have got a few but they are rather general. You could look at the basic ideas and try to search the internet for keywords.

Psychological (behavioural/social) - Hamilton and Waller (1993) showed that women with eating disorders were more affected by fashion magazine photos, and overestimated their own size and shape after seeing them, than women not diagnosed with eating disorders.

Psychological (behavioural/social) - A study in Fiji showed a sudden increase in eating disorders among young women since the arrival of television in 1995, (Fearn, 1999). This suggests a strong social and cultural component.

Biological (genetics) - Twin studies carried out on identical twins, brought up together, have shown a 50% concordance rate for anorexia nervosa, this suggests possible genetic factor. The link is less clear for bulimia nervosa, studies of identical twins have shown concordance rates of 23%.

Biological (biochemical) - Low levels of some neurotransmitters, for example, serotonin and noradrenaline, are found in acutely ill anorexia and bulimia sufferers. Serotonin is associated with suppression of appetite and mood, low serotonin levels are linked to bingeing and depression. Anorexia nervosa and depression feature high levels of cortisol, this is a hormone released by the brain in response to stress. A hormone called CCK, found to be at low levels in people with bulimia nervosa, causes animals to feel full and stop eating.

Hope that helps a bit.

Helen
Jacquie
Helen- you're a star! thanks very much. will keep you posted.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (165)
15.39%
Uncertainty around my education (174)
16.23%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (104)
9.7%
Isolating with family (73)
6.81%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (40)
3.73%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (93)
8.68%
Loneliness (107)
9.98%
Financial worries (49)
4.57%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (98)
9.14%
Exposure to negative news/social media (77)
7.18%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (92)
8.58%

Watched Threads