The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Ticki
I've learned not to take the bait. But that might just be because I don't get it.

Well ambushes are far more difficult with adequate lighting.

MB
Reply 41
musicbloke
Well ambushes are far more difficult with adequate lighting.

MB
Ah, 'tis true. Well the President of the Guild hasn't written to me to object to the campaign as yet!
i believe they do, but it's a lot more secretive. But i may, of course, be wrong
Reply 43
i just spent half an hour reading the website, what a waste of time. sounds like fun though, as well as being a little sad!
Reply 44
Sounds like the kind of thing that would be really great with the right people, or really, really, really bad with the wrong people.

Depends how seriously it's taken, I guess.
I'm a part III mathmo who spends most of the daylight hours in the CMS (though not by choice, by need) and even I think the assassin's guild is sad.

Though not quite as sad as the 4 mathmos who sit in the CMS and play "Magic : The Gathering" card battles during lunchtime, I wouldn't be surprised if they were in the assassin's guild too....
Reply 46
AlphaNumeric

Though not quite as sad as the 4 mathmos who sit in the CMS and play "Magic : The Gathering" card battles during lunchtime, I wouldn't be surprised if they were in the assassin's guild too....

Of course they're in it, they sound like exactly the type of people who would organise it
Reply 47
Man I LOVED magic the gathering.
Reply 48
drsmeeth
Man I LOVED magic the gathering.

Same here - I used to play it in the library office with fellow librarians during lunchtimes :cool:
I don't care if it's sad, I care if it's fun :rolleyes:
Reply 50
I don't know anyone who willingly admits to being on the assasins guild. but whatever keeps you happy really... it is cambridge after all :smile:
AlphaNumeric

Magic cards should have "please do not play in public" printed on the packs. For everyone's sake. Geekiness is all very well, but the Guild has the right idea - keep it stealthy.
Reply 52
notyourpunk
I don't know anyone who willingly admits to being on the assasins guild. but whatever keeps you happy really... it is cambridge after all :smile:

Quite a few do do it in Michaelmas Term of First year and talk about it, than after about two weeks, most reallise how sad and actually quite boring it is and stop caring, so jack it in.
Why do you people have such a problem with it being sad? Everyone who knows about it knows it is sad, everyone who is in it knows it is sad. But you people spend your time on TSR and a good 90% of people would probably say that is sad too. Its sad, who cares, its fun. Anyone who fancies shooting their mates with rubber band guns for a laugh shouldnt be put off the guild by naysayers.
Reply 54
Yes, it does SOUND fun, I did it this year and got bored with it very quickly, as did several mates, give it a go, and if you enjoy it, OK, if not, OK. Live and let live!

It's always good to have a bit of banter though!
KupoIncarnate
Why do you people have such a problem with it being sad? Everyone who knows about it knows it is sad, everyone who is in it knows it is sad. But you people spend your time on TSR and a good 90% of people would probably say that is sad too.
Even within the realms of sadness, there is a heirachy, and "Magic : The Gathering" card playing, assassin guild joining, mathmos are right at the bottom.

Besides, if I didn't have them to point and laugh at, as a computer literate mathmo, who else can I vent my deep rooted emotional baggage on?

Oh wait, compscis :p:
AlphaNumeric
Even within the realms of sadness, there is a heirachy, and "Magic : The Gathering" card playing, assassin guild joining, mathmos are right at the bottom.

Besides, if I didn't have them to point and laugh at, as a computer literate mathmo, who else can I vent my deep rooted emotional baggage on?

Jesus, you even write 'funny' posts like a mathmo :p:

MB
Reply 57
My brother plays...and when I go visit him during may week I go "hunting" with him...ok so it is rather silly and slightly sad...however the sheer random enjoyment to be gained from wondering around Cambridge with water pistols is not to be sniffed at(not to mention the looks you get from all the japanese tourists!). It strikes me as pretty cool as long as you don't let it obsess you or take over your life
Reply 58
drsmeeth
haha BURN.
Geeks are underrated.

Yeah, I totally agree! Maybe I'm biased because I'm sort of geeky. Well, what does define a geek?? In my opinion, it's obsessive nature and a desire to know and analyse every single bit of knowledge they can about a certain subject (e.g. X-Men). Of course, this could be non-conducive to being sociable, but these kinds of people probably make good scientists or writers and such.. in fact, obsessive nature is good in just about any job!

--------------

AlphaNumeric

I had an obsession with Yu-Gi-Oh cards at one point. I remember spending a lot of one half term compiling 'the perfect deck'. It got boring when I got all the Egyptian god cards and all the pieces of exodia because nobody I knew could beat me (muahaha!). But when you're quite good but beatable, it's most fun. My little brother (who was 10 or so) introduced me to Yu-Gi-Oh and I got hooked. Never got into Magic: The Gathering, although my brother's tried a lot.
Reply 59
sassygirl
Well, what does define a geek?? In my opinion, it's obsessive nature and a desire to know and analyse every single bit of knowledge they can about a certain subject

That sounds very similar to a Mathematician, what Alphanumeric and I are, maybe I've revealed to much!

Latest

Trending

Trending