pinksfun
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Hi
I don't know of this has been asked before but I havn't seen any previous threads on this! So I was just wondering if your allowed visitors staying in your room in halls? A few of my friends want to come and stay with me sometimes and I don't know if it's allowed or not! Also do you have to inform the people in charge of halls or your flatmates?
Thanks! Any input appreciated!
truechristian91
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Generally you are allowed so long as you let them i know. I remember when i was in halls ours had a little registration book where you just put their name and how long they were staying etc. Its more for health and safety in case of a fire you know.
rachel.h
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Hey, it is pretty much accepted everywhere I think - certainly in my first year we all had a few guests come and stay over the year. In Freshers Week, our flat mentor got us all out in to the corridor for a meeting and he basically said would we all be willing to be responsible for our guests - i.e if your guest trashes the kitchen, you clean it up. We didn't have to inform anyone either
ily_em
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Yes. It depends how strict they are. I think in my halls we had rules about visitors and how many nights they could stay and that we had to sign them in etc, but nobody followed them. I have no idea where I'd have signed people in, nobody ever did, and some of my friends had people staying over loads of nights. However my friends in another hall (University of London halls, I was in UCL halls) had it much stricter, they had 24 hour reception and could only have 2 people in at a time, who had to be signed in and out. I think that level of strictness was rare though.
pinksfun
Rep:
?
(Original post by truechristian91)
Generally you are allowed so long as you let them i know. I remember when i was in halls ours had a little registration book where you just put their name and how long they were staying etc. Its more for health and safety in case of a fire you know.
I heard prior to this that you are not allowed visitors because the security guards check ID etc so if your not from the uni you can't go in, so that's why I was a bit unsure, thanks for this! Much appreciated!
u_sername
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Depends where you're staying. At Surrey the rule is no overnight guests but absolutely nobody listened to it! The only way the wardens would know you had people staying is if you made loads and loads of noise and somebody complained
pinksfun
Rep:
?
(Original post by rachel.h)
Hey, it is pretty much accepted everywhere I think - certainly in my first year we all had a few guests come and stay over the year. In Freshers Week, our flat mentor got us all out in to the corridor for a meeting and he basically said would we all be willing to be responsible for our guests - i.e if your guest trashes the kitchen, you clean it up. We didn't have to inform anyone either
O ok yh, my guests would clear up after themselves etc so that wouldn't be a problem, thanks for the advice
InTomsWonderland
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
We were allowed overnight guests for 2 consecutive nights, maximum 2 times per term, I think, and it was meant to be 1 person at the time. Before 10pm they had to be signed in at the Hall reception. I broke those rules in all ways possible really - my best friend stayed probably 6 or 7 times in a term and always for more than 2 nights at the time. I just never signed her in. I also had 2 people stay with me at the same time a few times. No one checked.
pinksfun
Rep:
?
(Original post by ily_em)
Yes. It depends how strict they are. I think in my halls we had rules about visitors and how many nights they could stay and that we had to sign them in etc, but nobody followed them. I have no idea where I'd have signed people in, nobody ever did, and some of my friends had people staying over loads of nights. However my friends in another hall (University of London halls, I was in UCL halls) had it much stricter, they had 24 hour reception and could only have 2 people in at a time, who had to be signed in and out. I think that level of strictness was rare though.
I've seen my halls where I should hopefully be living in and there is no reception etc, it looks quite open but I did hear that there are security guards around and they ask for uni ID to see if your a student or some random person who's not meant to be there. Im not having too many people over so it should be alright.
Thanks for the info!
pinksfun
Rep:
?
(Original post by u_sername)
Depends where you're staying. At Surrey the rule is no overnight guests but absolutely nobody listened to it! The only way the wardens would know you had people staying is if you made loads and loads of noise and somebody complained
O lol I want people staying with me! I think I'll just smuggle a person or two in! I dont think I'll be making much noise just the general ooo ahhh! Haha I'm joking!
pinksfun
Rep:
?
(Original post by InTomsWonderland)
We were allowed overnight guests for 2 consecutive nights, maximum 2 times per term, I think, and it was meant to be 1 person at the time. Before 10pm they had to be signed in at the Hall reception. I broke those rules in all ways possible really - my best friend stayed probably 6 or 7 times in a term and always for more than 2 nights at the time. I just never signed her in. I also had 2 people stay with me at the same time a few times. No one checked.
Wicked! I want my friend staying with me a couple of nights! if no one checks then that's awesome!
Persephone9
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I don't think anyone really minds unless the only way is past a reception, and even then only some receptions will care. We were meant to sign all guests in and not have them for more than 2 or 3 nights in any one week, but I don't know if anyone actually did, and I certainly wasn't about to take someone I'd just decided to bring home to the security reception to sign them in (especially as it was 10 mins away from my house).

If you're having people to stay who are very noisy, messy or will be there for a long time you should probably talk to your housemates though. One of mine moved her girlfriend into her room for a month, but didn't let any of us know who she was.
InTomsWonderland
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by pinksfun)
Wicked! I want my friend staying with me a couple of nights! if no one checks then that's awesome!
They don't pop in to check on you at night anyway, just randomly I mean, so unless you're super noisy or cause some other disturbance making security come around no one will know.
SpiritedAway
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
It depends on the uni. At my halls we had to let the halls supervisor know and they could only stay a max of 3 nights. But I had my bf staying all the time and never told them, and no one in the flat generally gives a crap because they have people staying over too. I even had room inspections, and cleaners in the kitchen saw my guest still in his PJs and so had obviously stayed over. Our cleaners didn't care, mainly because I was one to clean up after myself so it wasn't as if they had more work, and for room inspections, it can easily be cleared up by throwing their things at the bottom of the wardrobe for 30 seconds - they will probably assume it's a friend from uni.

When I was staying with my bf in the Uni of London halls (he was at LSE) there was a reception, and if he wanted me there for more than 2 nights, he had to pay for a double room so I could get my own card to get through the barrier.
ilickbatteries
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Last year I stayed at a friends in Huddersfield and a friend's in Northumbria, no problems either time.

Except one of them is the world's loudest snorer.
Gemini92
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Generally, as long as your flatmates are OK with the person staying, then you'll be fine.
J0kerman2
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
So long as you ask its generally fine. I had two friends visit in 1st year and I was actually able to get them their own room. We had a girl move out so there was a spare room in our halls. I asked our housekeeper and she gave me the key for it for a couple of days
Kim-x
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
The rules vary between unis. We're allowed no more than two consecutive nights and have to sign guests in and out, but a lot don't and I've only heard one story of someone getting caught. We're only allowed one overnight guest at a time.
holli
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
It depends entirely on your university. Most uni's it's no more than two consecutive nights so long as your hall warden and flat mates are notified and agree beforehand
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19
  • Loughborough University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19
  • University of Oxford
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19

What's your favourite genre?