?
Report 13 years ago
I even sign all my posts on here with xx. xx
Duck and Cover
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I put an x or 2 on the end of most texts I send to my girl-friends, and to my best guy friend as well. Sometimes with my other mates if we have room we mite put something like xxxxxxxxxx just for the hell of it lol!
posh_git
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
he's just trying to be sweet.

i do it all the time :P
Wahoowa
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
WHOAH holy cr*p! Lotsa responses. I just got home from going out and am now reading them. Anyway, this is a guy I just recently started dating...and he didn't start doing the "x" thing until after I spent the night at his house. We are still fairly "new", not mates really. Guess it's safe to use it back on him then? Hope so cuz I already did.

Also, can SOMEONE pleas explain to me dating here? I saw someone here mention that dating was different from the US. This guy is so polite, so nice, but he seemed to move awfully fast for what I'm used to. I'm not complaining, but the night I met him he asked me to do something the very next day. Then the next day he asked me to come to a party of his friend's the very next weekend, where I met all his friends. Does dating here usually move that fast?

--------------

(Original post by Wahoowa)
WHOAH holy cr*p! Lotsa responses. I just got home from going out and am now reading them. Anyway, this is a guy I just recently started dating...and he didn't start doing the "x" thing until after I spent the night at his house. We are still fairly "new", not mates really. Guess it's safe to use it back on him then? Hope so cuz I already did.

Also, can SOMEONE pleas explain to me dating here? I saw someone here mention that dating was different from the US. This guy is so polite, so nice, but he seemed to move awfully fast for what I'm used to. I'm not complaining, but the night I met him he asked me to do something the very next day. Then the next day he asked me to come to a party of his friend's the very next weekend, where I met all his friends. Does dating here usually move that fast?
by the way, by fast I don't mean he pushed me to do anything, he's been nothing but a gentleman! really :p: I meant more that he wanted to see a lot of me so quickly, whereas american guys usually don't want to ask you out right away, even if they like you.
The Ninja
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I don't put an 'x' on my texts, unless I actually like the girl, maybe i'm just a heartless monster or something for not sharing the love. I still feel pain though...
sr4470
Badges: 13
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Lady_Muck)
I always put it on the end, BF doesn't. Then again, I can't remember the last time I had a text!
Ouch. :eek:

I use the "x" thing sometimes...depends if I think its appropriate.
Mrs_F
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Wahoowa)
Hiya! Can someone tell me, how common is it for guys to sign their texts with "x"? Does this mean "Kiss"? SOmeone told me it did, but then someone else told me it probably means the signature. I heard Brits use the "x" a lot though just to mean kiss, and that they may use it even on texts to friends.

I'm asking because this brit guy I started dating began signing his texts with "x", sometimes his initial plus "x" (like "Mx). Is it common to use the "x" when you send texts to a girl you are dating? Or do guys use it with all their friends? I was going to use it in a reply text to him but I am hesitant to do it before I really know what it means!

Thanks for any help!

--------------

PS, I'm American...just moved here 3 months ago, that's why I'm asking!
Yes, it's a kiss!
Mark_UK
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I put xxx on the end when its my gf if there is space. To other girls like my sister I would just put x. To mates they get nowt, lol.
bob_54321
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
i usually put at least one x when texting girls as pretty much all girls use it when texting me but with guys i hardly ever do it although a few of them do it, depends how im feeling. i dont mean anything by it though, just something to write, lol.
cutie_catty
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
it depends 2 all my girl m8s, i put xox and i do the same to guys which i know really well like my cousin and bessie m8s. To my boyf i put xxXXxx if there is space.

x means kiss and o means hugs
Dude
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I do it all the time, even to my guy mates.

It most likely doesn't mean anything. Its when they put Love instead of Luv when you start questioning if he likes you or not.
Anonymous User
Badges:
Report 13 years ago
I'm so glad for this thread; I've been so confused by British people I know who have done that. In America, I don't think people would really write that to someone unless it's the peron's boyfriend (or girlfriend) or close friend or something...

I got a letter from this guy who I really like over the summer (a Brit) and he signed it with his name and 3 x's. I didn't know why he put x's because we weren't going out or anything. Whenever I get emails from him now he puts x's. I started putting x's too just because he was... I hope he hasn't misinterpretted them, but seeing as he does it, I don't understand how he could. I have such a huge crush on him... :love:

Anyway, glad that's cleared up.
Wanderlust
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I put q's at the end of my texts. Cos I'm into prog.
Ilovepuremaths
Report 13 years ago
Blokes I know always say girls read too much into texts, especially the x's!
Wanderlust
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Blokes I know lie. :confused:
buttons7
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
it's just a thing! i always shove an x on the end of my texts, if only because it's shorter than writing "from jenny." and i put more x's if i am feeling the love more (i.e. if someone has sent me a brilliant and/or hilarious text, they get more x's... or if i like them and am being affectionate). that said, i don't think it's something that people devote a lot of time to... so, don't read too much into the x's, they are generally just a nice, lighthearted way of ending a text message.
Quick_Silver
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
cant speak for anybody else but for me the X is reserved solely for my girlfriend. I dunno bout other people though, i dont think any of the guys I know do it.
Wahoowa
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
I understand people here saying they use it for mates, and that guys may send it to girls they've known a while and don't fancy, so in that case it doesn't really mean anything. But my situation is that I started getting the "x" from a guy I recently started dating. After I spent the night at his place was when he began signing some of his texts with "x". So not a guy friend really...I mean, I'd still consider him a friend, but we know each other not because of a friendship but because he asked me out. We've been on two dates since then, supposedly a third coming up. He has to go to another country soon, and he wrote that he'd come and visit me in london before he left, then signed it with the "x".

I'm assuming it's not a big deal, I know...but not really being a "mate" of his, but rather being in a more dating capacity with him, I was just wondering what it meant because I had no idea...I mean, guys in America would NOT sign any text in that manner when you just start dating them. In America, people generally keep somewhat of an emotional distance for a long time in the beginning of their dating, as if not to let the other person know you like them, even if you are dating them! They definitely will not sign with a symbol that stands for "kiss", much less even a symbol that might stand for "hug". An American guy would maybe at the most sign "see ya", "talk to ya later", etc.

--------------

I do have another question then, for guys--if you didn't want to see a girl anymore, would you still use the "x" in your texts to her?
Muse
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Talk about over-analysis!

Miles x
BaD_BoY
Report 13 years ago
When i text my girl and i don't end it in a "x" she thinks there's something wrong!

Damn! Its just a x! :p:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 2 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (449)
18.96%
The paper was reasonable (1105)
46.66%
Not feeling great about that exam... (520)
21.96%
It was TERRIBLE (294)
12.42%

Watched Threads