Can you do A level Chemistry without A level Maths? Watch

coldhell
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
I'm just curious if you could do A level Chemistry without doing A level Maths? Is it possible or would I struggle? (So far I've been achieving A/B in my Maths GCSE.)

I like Chemistry but I'm still unsure whether I could cope doing it at A level. I'm a very hard working person but would I struggle if I only achieved a grade B at GCSE?

Thank you. I'm just really worried.
moon_shine
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I think it is possible to do it- but maths really does help with all the different calculations you have to do
OMGWTFBBQ
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Yes. The only thing you need from A Level Maths is Logs, which you can learn in 5 minutes from Khan Academy when you need them for A2 Chemistry
boromir9111
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
:yep:
ilickbatteries
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by coldhell)
I'm just curious if you could do A level Chemistry without doing A level Maths? Is it possible or would I struggle? (So far I've been achieving A/B in my Maths GCSE.)

I like Chemistry but I'm still unsure whether I could cope doing it at A level. I'm a very hard working person but would I struggle if I only achieved a grade B at GCSE?

You definitely can.

The maths involved in A-Level chemistry is pretty basic, really.
tehforum
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Yes.
hazzypants
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago

Yes. All the calculations can be done with a calculator, you only need GCSE level to understand the maths in it.

I would do chemistry with one of maths of biology just because it will help if you want to do science related subjects at uni. For a chemistry degree I know they recommend Maths to at least AS level.
coldhell
Rep:
?
Thank you everyone

I'm really worried about taking Chemistry because I think I might just achieve a grade B at GCSE. Do you think I could do it? Or is A level Chemistry only for A/A* people?

Thanks again
T.F92
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Yes you can but in A2 you will need to learn how to use log which is easy even if you don't do A-level maths. (because log is just a button on the calculator)
DemolitionLovers
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Thank you everyone

I'm really worried about taking Chemistry because I think I might just achieve a grade B at GCSE. Do you think I could do it? Or is A level Chemistry only for A/A* people?

Thanks again
I found chemistry really hard and I got A* at GCSE, however I think it was more the fact that you have to remember loads rather than the actual material being hard. Most of the things you learn are quite simple as long as you learn them as you go along (I should have done this )
I think you should go for it!

EDIT: Also, I did it without Maths at AS Level.
T.F92
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Thank you everyone

Thanks again
I don't think it's an a-level only for A/A*. As long as you do a lot of practice papers then you will be fine.
Calimboness
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I did a level chem without a level maths: yeah, the calculations are a little hard to get your head round at first (especially when you sit next to a maths genius like I did!) but I found the exam ok, and I'm maths phobic! So you should be fine. It's very different to "Maths" maths, is chemistry maths, I have to say. If you like chemistry, go for it! That being said, I was one of the very few people who took chemistry and not maths, but I wasn't t a disadvantage, just a little slower at times...and I'm still predicted an A at A2. Whether I GOT the A is unknown til Thursday, but I'll let you know: if I get the A, then yes, it is possible
coldhell
Rep:
?
Thank you so much!

I think I'm likely to take A level Chemistry now.
A for Andromeda
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
The maths you need to know for chemistry is on the whole basic and can easily be learnt, without doing Alevel maths.

(In AS the hardest 'maths' part is far easier then the upper end of GCSE maths)
the_down10
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I got an A in GCSE maths, took Chemistry A-level, didn't take maths A-level but still did well in chemistry, I am now doing a degree in chemistry and still coping with the maths aspects of it despite only having done maths up to gcse, its not that important, really
coldhell
Rep:
?
(Original post by Calimboness)
I did a level chem without a level maths: yeah, the calculations are a little hard to get your head round at first (especially when you sit next to a maths genius like I did!) but I found the exam ok, and I'm maths phobic! So you should be fine. It's very different to "Maths" maths, is chemistry maths, I have to say. If you like chemistry, go for it! That being said, I was one of the very few people who took chemistry and not maths, but I wasn't t a disadvantage, just a little slower at times...and I'm still predicted an A at A2. Whether I GOT the A is unknown til Thursday, but I'll let you know: if I get the A, then yes, it is possible
I hope you get an A !! Thank you so much! It really encouraged me
Calimboness
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I hope you get an A !! Thank you so much! It really encouraged me
Haha I hope so too! Chemistry isn't so bad; sure there were times I hated it but its a very rewarding subject for me, because it was my worst subject at a level (got an A* at gcse), so it felt good to do well dont be put off by the first few topics; its hard but you'll pick it up
PatrickD
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Definitely possible. You can even do a Chemistry degree at some unis (Sheffield being one of them) with only a grade B in GCSE Maths!

Doing Maths can help a little as it keeps the numerical part of your brain active which is very useful in Chemistry but the actual equations and mathematical techniques used are pretty simple, at least at AS Level. I'm continuing to A2 next year and have heard the maths content increases slightly but I think it's mostly just logarithms. I want to do a Chemistry degree and without Maths beyond GCSE I can't apply to Oxbridge, Durham or Bristol but oh well.

I got high grade As at AS Level in both Chemistry and Physics so maths is definitely not an absolute necessity. Go for it!
Fat-Love
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Yeah for AS definitely. On A2 a short one hour lesson from a fellow classmate on how logs and natural logs work should suffice. It also helps to know the how units cancel etc such 5kg divided by 2kg has no units or 3mols times 2 mols has the units mols^2. The units stuff should be known from GCSE maths but most people don't really have this down very well when they enter A - level because it doesn't come up on the GCSE course often or they forget by A2 when this is relevant.

In summary. No you don't need A-level maths. There's bound to be someone in your class doing maths though so just ask them how logs, natural logs and unit cancelling work when they come up (don't worry they're very simple mathematical tools. You're chemistry exam is intending to test you on chemistry not complex maths). It also helps to know what is meant by when they say something is 'proportional' to something in rates of change for A2.
xhorseloverx
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Wow this thread is six years old😂 Just wondering if you got the A? Ahah, my sister is in a similar position.. any advice?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion ā€“ Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (128)
18.23%
It's just nice to be back! (192)
27.35%
Not great so far... (251)
35.75%
I want to drop out! (131)
18.66%

Watched Threads