The Student Room Group

Has America contributed anything towards the world?

I was thinking about all the good things in the world and I realized that they were all British and to be more specific English. The Oxford English Dictionary, the officers of the British army and navy, the liberal political system, g and t, steak and wine. America has contributed nothing useful, just **** we don't need like mcdonalds and adverts.
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Must we have another dick measuring contest between the UK and USA?
Reply 2
shut up.
Reply 3
Original post by erklam
shut up.

If you don't have anything to contribute **** off.
Reply 4
No
/end thread
Reply 5
Since when was wine English?
Reply 6
Original post by Hylean
Since when was wine English?

Everyone knows that wine is English.
Reply 7
"America is the only country to have gone from barbarism to decadence without civilisation in between." - Clemenceau
Original post by lord snow
I was thinking about all the good things in the world and I realized that they were all British and to be more specific English. The Oxford English Dictionary, the officers of the British army and navy, the liberal political system, g and t, steak and wine. America has contributed nothing useful, just **** we don't need like mcdonalds and adverts.

britain has contributed the most to the world.

but america, our cousins, have also contributed a few good things: for instance "baywatch"!
Reply 9

And, you know, not living under the rule of communist or fascist oppressors. I'm not pro-American, but I'm not pro self-deception either.
they put mirrors on the moon that allow us to know how far away it is and enabled us to discover that it is slowly moving away from us which will have a detrimental effect on our lives this discovery has in turn allowed us to plan ahead so that we could stop or correct the problems that this will cause also computers, transistors muscle cars, films and the gatling gun which later evolved into machine guns the americans have made killing much easier and much more efficient
Reply 11
Original post by Redreynard
britain has contributed the most to the world.

but america, our cousins, have also contributed a few good things: for instance "baywatch"!

People who like baywatch have bad taste.
Mcdonalds you see as a failure? it owns more valuable retail space than any other private organisation. Its in the business of property not burgers!
Whilst the space and arms race have been heavily criticised, it is without a doubt American investment into science and such which led to the rapid technological advancements of the 20th and 21st Century. Also, america has made significant contributions to world literature and culture.
People who like baywatch have bad taste.

how do they teach those actresses to run in slow motion?
Reply 16
Original post by TheCaledonian
they put mirrors on the moon that allow us to know how far away it is and enabled us to discover that it is slowly moving away from us which will have a detrimental effect on our lives this discovery has in turn allowed us to plan ahead so that we could stop or correct the problems that this will cause also computers, transistors muscle cars, films and the gatling gun which later evolved into machine guns the americans have made killing much easier and much more efficient

The things you mention are not useful contributions. Who cares if the moon is moving away from the earth? Science is overated.
Reply 17
Original post by Homer_Simpson

None of those firms enrich our lives. Kellogs for example is less nutritious than the box it comes in.
Reply 18
If you don't have anything to contribute **** off.

here is my contribution

Just a few American inventors for you (I assume you have no clue what they invented, so use google):
Edison, Morse, Bell, Singer, Eastman, Goodyear, Tesla, Westinghouse

Just some inventions (hope you know what most of them are):
morse code, electric stove, escalator, postcards, motorcycle, railway air brake, jeans, phonograph, solar cells, smoke detector, zipper, remote control, assembly lines, oh and airplane too, auto self starter, hydraulic brake, polygraph, air traffic control, radio telescope, digital computer, blood banks, polio vaccine, airbag, barcode, integrated circuits, CDs, cellphones...but again. google it (or use a british search engine instead haha)
Reply 19
None of those firms enrich our lives. Kellogs for example is less nutritious than the box it comes in.

I would love to see you shaving without a safety razor. And that't the first brand I saw in that picture (Gillette).

Quick Reply

Latest