The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Studying Mathematics at Manchester

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
ChrisA7x
Thanks, what job are you hoping to get after your degree? And do you have enough free time to have a part time job whilst in uni?

I'm looking into audit and technology consulting.

- Technology consulting being when businesses want some sort of IT system put in place and ask us to do it.
- Audit being the evaluation of a product, person or process. In the case of accounting, it is the evaluation of financial statements which underpins the integrity of the company.

You can do a part-time job and study your degree, but I personally do not. I have a lot of things to do and a part-time job would only get in the way.

Darren
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 41
Original post by DPLSK

- Technology consulting being when businesses want some sort of IT system put in place and ask us to do it.
- Audit being the evaluation of a product, person or process. In the case of accounting, it is the evaluation of financial statements which underpins the integrity of the company.

You can do a part-time job and study your degree, but I personally do not. I have a lot of things to do and a part-time job would only get in the way.

Darren

Ahh well best of luck in your career in the future, sounds good!
Original post by DPLSK

Darren

With studying maths at Manchester, would you say there's a good chance working at an Investment Bank eventually? Do you know anyone who has?
Reply 43
theseeker
With studying maths at Manchester, would you say there's a good chance working at an Investment Bank eventually? Do you know anyone who has?

We have the MUTIS (Manchester University Trading and Investment Society), the likes of Barclays Capital and Goldman Sachs appearing on campus and a mate of mine has internships with Citibank and Deutsche Bank on the cards so I'd say it's definitely possible.

I don't know anyone in investment banking myself, as I have no interest in it, but I'm sure you could network during career fairs here and find someone.

Regards

Darren
Reply 44
Smartest guy I know did his MMath&Doctorate at Manchester. Nice guy too.
Reply 45
So who's studying maths here in September? :smile:

Struggling to find anyone!
Just curious, has anyone else doing maths not received their acceptance letter yet?
Original post by James181

I am :biggrin:

Jumped on the MMath bandwagon. I think lectures start on the 24th, right?

Original post by statisticspaper123
Just curious, has anyone else doing maths not received their acceptance letter yet?

It should've been sent out on results day. You never know, there might be some delay. As long as track says you've got a confirmed place you shouldn't worry :smile:

Completed IT registration yesterday. All important information gets sent to your uni email so it's important to register.

I'm proper excited but slightly nervous too!
Reply 48
Hello :smile:

Bsc Maths here, however I'm going to take up MMath (assuming I'm allowed) if I really enjoy the course. Do you know what sort of things we need to prepare for and bring?

Also, what halls are you in? :smile:
Hello :smile:

Bsc Maths here, however I'm going to take up MMath (assuming I'm allowed) if I really enjoy the course. Do you know what sort of things we need to prepare for and bring?

Also, what halls are you in? :smile:

Just the same sort of stuff you needed for A-levels. The S.O.M will introduce new stuff etc.

No halls for me. Fortunately it's at driving distance :biggrin:
Original post by statisticspaper123

I haven't received an acceptance letter from the university itself (I got one from UCAS saying "this confirms your place at the university of manchester" etc.) but I got in through clearing so I guess I'm expecting things to come through a little late for me.
Is anyone studying maths at manchester or is going to study and they had a gap year? Or are they picky?

Mathematician here! I'm in Oak house - I think that's right next door to Owen's park. Are you preparing anything for manchester? Have you received any kind of freshers information, I haven't?
I think we should expect info from the uni in the coming week/2 weeks. The only info I've got is an email telling me to sign up online & confirm attendance, which I've done.

Fresher's week starts on the 17th (start of term), and lectures start on the 24th. Just under 1 month!

The excitement's building!
Original post by golden ratio
I think we should expect info from the uni in the coming week/2 weeks. The only info I've got is an email telling me to sign up online & confirm attendance, which I've done.

Fresher's week starts on the 17th (start of term), and lectures start on the 24th. Just under 1 month!

The excitement's building!

I know, I'm so excited! :biggrin: I haven't done very much maths for a couple of months so I'm really looking forward to getting back into it! I've heard rumour that we're only allowed scientific calculators :s-smilie:
Reply 55
James181

Well, I'm the guy who created this post and I'll still be here next year. I'll be a final year student hopefully (although I'm still enrolled on the MMath at the moment).

James181
Do you know what sort of things we need to prepare for and bring?

This is mentioned in the very first post.

Uncertainty
I've heard rumour that we're only allowed scientific calculators :s-smilie:

It's not a rumour. You aren't allowed graphical calculators and sometimes you're just not allowed calculators.

theseeker
Is anyone studying maths at manchester or is going to study and they had a gap year? Or are they picky?

No one cares if you took a gap year or not. I know a few mature students as well and it's really not that big a deal. It may give you something to break the ice with though.

You'll find me on the maths stand on the Monday 17th September in the Alan Turing Building. Feel free to pop by and ask any questions you have in person.

Darren
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 56
Original post by DPLSK
x

Hey, just wondering what books you recommend getting from the library?

I'm planning on moving in on the 13th and may grab some books if I get chance. Really want to get off to a good start so is there any thing else you can recommend me doing/getting to put myself in the best situation?

Cheers

James
Reply 57
James181
Hey, just wondering what books you recommend getting from the library?

I'm planning on moving in on the 13th and may grab some books if I get chance. Really want to get off to a good start so is there any thing else you can recommend me doing/getting to put myself in the best situation?

Cheers

James

Hi James,

The only one you really need in first semester is Introduction to Mathematical Reasoning by Peter Eccles.

In the second semester it's a Modern Introduction to Linear Algebra by David Poole.

Darren
Reply 58
Original post by DPLSK
Hi James,

The only one you really need in first semester is Introduction to Mathematical Reasoning by Peter Eccles.

In the second semester it's a Modern Introduction to Linear Algebra by David Poole.

Darren

Hi Darren,

Thanks for the reply, I'm looking at buying one used off ebay/amazon if I can find one for a good price. Do you know if there are different versions and if so is there a specific version I should get?

Sorry for all the questions, thanks again.

James
Reply 59
James181
Hi Darren,

Thanks for the reply, I'm looking at buying one used off ebay/amazon if I can find one for a good price. Do you know if there are different versions and if so is there a specific version I should get?

Sorry for all the questions, thanks again.

James

Hi James,

I wouldn't do that. I would borrow the books from the library and keep renewing the loan. Failing that - I would check the Alan Turing Building noticeboard and the secondhand section in Blackwells here at UoM. If all that doesn't work then I'd try eBay/Amazon.

For the Introduction to Mathematical Reasoning, you should get the latest edition. Mind you, Prof. Eccles has updated the book only once from what I can remember and I don't think you find people with the old edition anymore.

For Linear Algebra: A Modern Introduction (sorry about the title change, my original reply was wrong) - I'd get the third edition if possible. I know people also use this book well after the linear algebra course just to brush up their skills so it may very well be something you wish to purchase.

If you have any other questions then please feel free to ask them after you've checked my Q&A section in the first post.

Darren

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending