The Student Room Group

Does anyone get eye-floaters?

Hi everyone,
Just out of interest, does anyone else gets those annoying floaty things that drift across their field of vision? Apparently they are little pieces of protein which cast a shadow on the retina, and there's not much that can be done about them :frown: I think they are more common in people who are short sighted, which I am.

So...do you have them? Do they annoy you?

:biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I can see them against certain backgrounds, yes. The sky, in particular.
yeah i developed one about 3 months ago, it gets irritating when I remember it's there, cause then I notice it more.
I've actually got them really bad in both eyes. My left eye in particular has one that casts a shadow right on my fovea. It's a pain in the ass when I'm reading and then SUDDENLY OH MY GOD THERE IS SOMETHING IN MY FACE, oh wait no it's just Barry the floater.
Reply 4
Reply 5

Go to 0:36.
Reply 6
Yep, they're like groups of hollow circles which move around with the eyeball, but they only annoy me when I look at a blank space like the sky. I can get them to move to the edge of my vision if I move my eyeball around a lot though
Sometimes. I remember once I was standing outside waiting for a taxi and one kept floating downwards and I got really confused and tried to catch it thinking it was a piece of fluff...

I'm short sighted too.
Reply 8
I get little black ones sometimes which can be a pain in the butt. My mum gets massive spider-shaped ones that's caused by vitreous jelly or something, she says they're pretty bad.
Reply 9
i get then -___- ggrr they soooooo annnoyingggg! although im not short sighted, my visios pretty good
Reply 10
Phew, not just me then. I have a couple of quite big ones in each eye and I really wish they weren't there because they are really quite distracting...not so much when I'm reading, but when I'm outside during the daytime they are so apparent! A few times I have actually ducked because I thought a bug was flying around my face :frown:. I think I've had them since childhood. I can remember sort of 'playing' with them by trying to look at them dead on.

I get really paranoid that I'm going blind or something!
Reply 11
I've had them, yeah. Interesting to find out what they're called/what they are.
Yup. But they're fun to pass the time with. I used to try to catch them in those exams where you finish early and can't check anything else again for fear of going mad and ripping up the paper.

But then people always thought I was intensely staring at them when I did that on other boring occasions, which got awkward :frown:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 13
Yeah, I do and it gives me headache sometimes. ALWAYS get them if I look at the sky or generally bright single coloured objects (like a wall sometimes).

Seen doctors/eye people about it several times, they also said nothing can really be done. You do learn to ignore them though, I think was much worse for me when I was 18 than it is now (21).
Reply 14
"Oh, squiggly line in my eye fluid. I see you lurking there on the periphery of my vision. But when I try to look at you, you scurry away. Are you shy, squiggly line? Why only when I ignore you, do you return to the center of my eye? Oh, squiggly line, it's alright, you are forgiven."

Yes, fairly often. I notice them a lot while reading in bright light.
i only notice them when looking at bright blank spaces
Reply 16
Is there a proper/official name for those annoying things?
Reply 17
I think they're just called vitreous floaters! I hate them!
Reply 18
Original post by sparrow-legs
Hi everyone,
Just out of interest, does anyone else gets those annoying floaty things that drift across their field of vision? Apparently they are little pieces of protein which cast a shadow on the retina, and there's not much that can be done about them :frown: I think they are more common in people who are short sighted, which I am.

So...do you have them? Do they annoy you?

:biggrin:

Im shortsighted too, and i get my squiggly floater, i didn't know it was a protein casted on the retina, i use to try to catch it but it looks like im having a seizure moving my eyes all around. After i get laser eye surgery later this year i wonder if it would disappear.

3:37
=P

Quick Reply

Latest