The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

A Question About Missing the First Day

Hi.
Ages ago I booked in a holiday with a friend in Munich from the fourteenth to the eighteenth of September. I checked all the course dates to be sure that was fine, and indeed they all said that the terms started later (Leeds, for example, says course date start is the 21st). However, I simply assumed that that date marked the start of Freshers Week. But having checked again it seems that Freshers Week starts on the 17th, rather than the 21st.

I would feel awful to bail on my friend, but I feel compelled to ask, would arriving at Leeds on the 18th put me in an awkward position when it comes to meeting people and stuff? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Reply 1
Original post by JamesP92
Hi.
Ages ago I booked in a holiday with a friend in Munich from the fourteenth to the eighteenth of September. I checked all the course dates to be sure that was fine, and indeed they all said that the terms started later (Leeds, for example, says course date start is the 21st). However, I simply assumed that that date marked the start of Freshers Week. But having checked again it seems that Freshers Week starts on the 17th, rather than the 21st.

I would feel awful to bail on my friend, but I feel compelled to ask, would arriving at Leeds on the 18th put me in an awkward position when it comes to meeting people and stuff? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

You don't have anything important to do (eg enrolment, intro lectures etc.) until Monday 19th at the earliest, I recommend enrolling as soon as possible on Monday as the queue can get quite long later in the day and you could be stuck there for a couple of hours.

If you move in on the 18th, there's a chance you'll be the last person to arrive in your flat, but I wouldn't have thought that would put you at any disadvantage regarding meeting people as most people move in on the weekend anyway.
(edited 12 years ago)
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Original post by JamesP92
Hi.

Thanks.

Not at all - the 18th is the Sunday and loads of people will arrive that day rather than the Saturday (or earlier). Enjoy your holiday!
Reply 3
Okay thank you very much. That's a relief, I didn't want to be a social pariah as soon as I got there xD.
It might feel a bit awkward when you first walk in, but after 10 minutes it won't matter that you're a day late.

Quick Reply

Latest