The Student Room Group

Quick Question about Clearing?

Hello!

I've been reading all the Wiki articles on Clearing/Results Day, but there is one thing I'm not 100% sure about...

UCAS Track updates at 8am, but I can't go into school to get my results until 10am.

If, at 8am, I haven't got the grades I need to get into Uni, should I start to call up other unis for the Clearing process straight away, or should I wait until after I get my results?

I don't want to miss out on a place through Clearing, but I don't want to make a fool of myself on the phone either... :s-smilie:

Thanks!
x
You'll need to know your results, unfortunately - the university can't agree to anything without knowing your grades.
Can't you get results from UCAS by 6am online?
Original post by TGBuble

Original post by TGBuble
Hello!

I've been reading all the Wiki articles on Clearing/Results Day, but there is one thing I'm not 100% sure about...

UCAS Track updates at 8am, but I can't go into school to get my results until 10am.

If, at 8am, I haven't got the grades I need to get into Uni, should I start to call up other unis for the Clearing process straight away, or should I wait until after I get my results?

I don't want to miss out on a place through Clearing, but I don't want to make a fool of myself on the phone either... :s-smilie:

Thanks!
x

There is no particular value in calling up before you have your results because you don't know where you stand. All you will know is that you haven't met your offers, so you have no idea what grades you have to apply with. You will need this information in order to have any sensible conversation with university admissions. 10am is a fairly normal time for people to receive their results, so I wouldn't worry about missing out. Better to be prepared and call knowing your situation, since this will be far more productive and reflect better on you.
Reply 4
Original post by TheGrinningSkull

Officially, according to the UCAS Website its 8am, I saw it on another thread - but other years its been available since 6am - It depends how much time you want to spend worrying and refreshing the screen :P

Edit: To re-itarate what the posts below have said; you can't get your results off of UCAS, only whether you got into university... and it says it wont be available until 8am.

Thanks to the other two posters - That 2 hour wait is going to be agonising if I didn't get in!
(edited 12 years ago)

You can find out whether you got in or not, but you can't find out your grades.

No, UCAS only updates with the universities' decisions, it won't show you your results.
Original post by TGBuble
Thanks to the other two posters - That 2 hour wait is going to be agonising if I didn't get in!

There are two options:

1. You don't have to check - it is optional. You could go and collect your results first and then, if your grades aren't high enough, check and see what the universities have decided.

2. Be honest with yourself and predict what you think you've got, then have a look in the Clearing listings for suitable courses that you're interested in so you're not doing all of the looking after you have your results.
Reply 8
Original post by TheSownRose
There are two options:

1. You don't have to check - it is optional. You could go and collect your results first and then, if your grades aren't high enough, check and see what the universities have decided.

2. Be honest with yourself and predict what you think you've got, then have a look in the Clearing listings for suitable courses that you're interested in so you're not doing all of the looking after you have your results.

Yeah, I don't think I'll be able to stop myself checking - I can't handle suspense very well :wink:
I've already started making a back-up plan for Clearing, I've contacted some unis to see if they expect to have places and made a note of what I'm gonna say etc. :smile:

Thanks!
Original post by TGBuble
Yeah, I don't think I'll be able to stop myself checking - I can't handle suspense very well :wink:
I've already started making a back-up plan for Clearing, I've contacted some unis to see if they expect to have places and made a note of what I'm gonna say etc. :smile:

Thanks!

Well, you sound organised so hopefully, if it comes to Clearing, you'll be one of the success stories. :smile:
Reply 10
ucas told me 8am and you can add clearing from 6pm i think onwards maybe earlier
Original post by TGBuble
Officially, according to the UCAS Website its 8am, I saw it on another thread - but other years its been available since 6am - It depends how much time you want to spend worrying and refreshing the screen :P

Edit: To re-itarate what the posts below have said; you can't get your results off of UCAS, only whether you got into university... and it says it wont be available until 8am.

Original post by F1 fanatic
You can find out whether you got in or not, but you can't find out your grades.

Original post by TheSownRose
No, UCAS only updates with the universities' decisions, it won't show you your results.

Thanks

I'm only a mere AS student so I only posted on what I thought I knew.

Thanks for correcting me :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest