The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

i was born in HK but live in England (was in leicester til v.recently..now in liverpool!)
HK is awesome for shopping. dont just go to the malls though..check out the local markets for real gems!! loads of japanese cartoon stuff...o so cute!
technology is really cheap over there as well. as are contacts/glasses!
dont worry about language. because tourism is one of its major trades, english is spoken almost EVERYWHERE!! ooh and try ALL the food! its lovely..not what u usually get in a chinese take-away! lol. but do beware of pick pockets esp in really busy areas...but i gues that goes for most major cities!
i'm hopefully going back at xmas..i dnt like goin in summer, way too hot and the plane tickets r extortionate! i cnt spel that word! if u go off-peak season, the prices r so much lower! i miss shopping!! haha.
I've spent 4 weeks in beijing and the things here are so cheap. Its the best place to buy fake stuff, especially in the open silk markets. They are roughly half the price of things in Hong kong.
magiccarpet
if i went there does it matter if i cant speak any cantonese?and what kind of thinks can you do there different to here?

i also really want to know, in china do you call chinese food (eg peking duck, egg fried rice,crispy seaweed etc) 'food' or 'chinese food'?

HAHA~ funny question! OK, my own norms (also my friends)... we do make clear cut among cuisines. If refer to daily foods or the cuisine (ie the Chinese one), we would say "rice" ("rice" represents "meal", of course in cantonese not english, pronounced as "migh")...... and even within so called chinese cuisine, we do also name that according to geography like cantonese cuisine, beijing, shanghai......
Reply 43
It is one of the amazing cities I want to live in.
Born in the Uk, I only go to HK when necessary, i.e for the HK ID card :rolleyes: , should be going back this October for a week cos of the ID card. It is a great place, shame the economy isn't doing too well etc but it's lively at night, a shoppers' paradise, has excellent public transport that I'd consider quite cheap and very convenient with the Octupus card! People probably pace themselves around much more, probably not as relaxed as England :P!
Yeah went on tour there 4 years ago now. Stayed in the YMCA in Kowloon, but spent most of my time in Ned Kelly's, jazz pub just up the road... what a place!
Reply 46
omg me just came back from hk last week. was there for 4 weeks on hol, wanna go back! im not from hk, was born in eng n lived here all my life, but most my relatives are in hk. it is the best place ever for shoppinggg, oh and eating. so much to do, see and buy! only bad thing is it is sooo hot n humid in d summer, but everywhere has air con so not all dat bad! oh yeh the people can be kinda rude there tho, compared to england anyway
Shopping is the maddest at HK!!!!!
Cheap and heaps of cool stuff there!!!!

Last time I went, I came back with four bags, five watches and heaps of other cool accessories.

Love that place!!!!! :biggrin:
Reply 48
speaking of those ID cards....

Do we have to go back every 3 years or something? Im always confused with those things!

I just got back from HK a couple of weeks ago....LOVED IT! Piiiisssh...wasnt that hot, dunno what everyone was whinging about!!

wow, i didnt know there were this many chinese ppl on ukl...lol, *ignorance*

I was born in UK, but like to go back to HK whenever i can!
How cheap is all the Hello Kitty stuff do you guys know? And well, how cheap is all the cool stuff?

And is their loads of culture?
Reply 50
*is daft* I just mis-read this as "King Kong". I just read that the lady who was in the film died today.
blissy
*is daft* I just mis-read this as "King Kong". I just read that the lady who was in the film died today.

Wasn't that yesterday or the day before?
Reply 52
happysunshine
Wasn't that yesterday or the day before?

Obviously it wasn't close reading :smile:
blissy
Obviously it wasn't close reading :smile:

Sorry. I wasn't being picky, I thought I may have had a psychic monent. :smile:
white_solitude
erm...well i've never actually been to Hong Kong. I was born in China, which is less westernised and they have english version laptops so I would have thought that Hong Kong probably has it. i have absolutely no idea what it would cost...

Hey! Hong Kong is a part of China! :rolleyes:
Reply 55
jinsisi
Hey! Hong Kong is a part of China! :rolleyes:

As is Taiwan *Let the flame wars commence!*...
Reply 56
lol, Hello Kitty is getting quite popular these days! Yea its defo a lot cheaper than in UK, cos ppl import that stuff in from Hong Kong or mainland china!

Loadsa culture too, like one of the earlier posts, some parts are westernised so u get the best of both worlds! Hong Kong Island and Kowloon are the most westernised, with high rise buildings etc, whereas New Territories is where you'll find more *traditional* type living with villages.

Theres the discover hong kong website, which is catered for tourists.

One of my fave shops is Sasa -- really cheap (well relatively) perfumes etc, great place for gifts!

I love Hong kong! lol

Hope that helps

Lolli xx
lollipop
lol, Hello Kitty is getting quite popular these days! Yea its defo a lot cheaper than in UK, cos ppl import that stuff in from Hong Kong or mainland china!

Loadsa culture too, like one of the earlier posts, some parts are westernised so u get the best of both worlds! Hong Kong Island and Kowloon are the most westernised, with high rise buildings etc, whereas New Territories is where you'll find more *traditional* type living with villages.

Theres the discover hong kong website, which is catered for tourists.

One of my fave shops is Sasa -- really cheap (well relatively) perfumes etc, great place for gifts!

I love Hong kong! lol

Hope that helps

Lolli xx

Oh wow, it sounds fabulous! I've never been bothered about Spain or anything as Hong Kong sounds great. I'll try and find that website.
Reply 58
i remember when i was in Hong Kong, in McDonalds they gave out Hello Kitty teddy bears, not small ones.
Reply 59
blissy

Hehehehehehehehehe - thanks for that I had a good laugh :biggrin:

I'm from Hong Kong - lived there for 8 years before I came to England. I've lived in England for just over half my life now. I prefer England and its culture - anyone from Hong Kong who also lives in Eng agree??? Just curious.

Latest

Trending

Trending