The Student Room Group

What's the stupidest policy in your school?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
in the summer we had to ask permission to take our blazers off :?
i got in trouble when i wore socks which were a different shade of grey.
our schools are pretty similar, there was a fire drill in my economics mock exam last year and we were told to ignore it?! how can you ignore a loud siren for 1 minute?!

the fact they told us to ignore it shows that it was purposefully executed :mad:
I think the worst was that we weren't allowed to have our hair cut below a certain length. For black boys, this is very harsh. You'd get lunch-time detention for everyday until it grew back to a reasonable length.
Original post by izzaha
in the summer we had to ask permission to take our blazers off :?
i got in trouble when i wore socks which were a different shade of grey.

:toofunny: was it obvious?
Reply 84
Original post by The Polar Dude
:toofunny: was it obvious?

nope...they have a chart which shows the acceptable shades of grey.
Reply 85
My school introduced a policy where teachers weren't allowed to be 'friends' with people on facebook. We used to have a sixth form helper/admin woman who was the nicest person going, like if you asked for directions she'd have gone away, printed you a map and written down the exact steps for you, that sort of thing. She was facebook friends with almost everyone in sixth form and several years worth of sixth form students who had left as well. It was a good way to communicate on mass.

Then someone made a fake profile of our headteacher on facebook and friended as many students at our school as possible, they put out things like "There's no school like the old school and I'm the ****ing headmaster!" But the real headmaster got the police involved, investigated all teachers who were friends with students to find the culprit and warned legal action against students who were friends with the fake headteacher. So this helper got a lot of stick for it considering how many students she had on her list, they also accused her of hacking into the school website and defacing it. She got angry and quit.

After that we were banned from friending our teachers, so we had to wait until our last A2 exam before we could add them so we can stay in touch. School can't do anything then.
They recently banned pupils from being in school at lunchtime unless they had a specific lunch pass. There was also a period of time when every toilet was locked - i.e. no girls' toilets in the entire building.
Original post by izzaha
nope...they have a chart which shows the acceptable shades of grey.

triple :facepalm: first time i ever had to use that

what type of punishment did you get?
Other stupid policies I am remembering:

Letting teachers keep students for a couple of minutes after class as a punishment, but we only had a 5 minute passing period between classes. It was, in effect, just a way to encourage tardiness (which had much more sever punishments than talking or whatever, especially since 3 tardies=1 absence, which could lead to truancy charges.) Just makes me rage thinking about it.

Zero-tolerance on hats and scarves indoors, even that time when the heater broke in winter.

You could only buy a parking pass in the first week of school. I guess if you get a car in the middle of the year or just moved here, you're SOL. Or the fact the try to make money out of the giant lot they have just for students.

They made it so that you no longer could leave early or come later when you didn't have classes all day. You had to be in the building for 8 hours.

This one is just stupid because of the utter lack of foresight of the administration. Our middle period was longer to accommodate lunch, which had to be broken up in to three parts because how large the school was. You either went to lunch at the beginning of the period and then to class, went to class and then lunch at the end of the period, or you had half a class, lunch, then came back to class. Besides being inconvenient, how many people with the middle lunch do you think went back to class? :innocent:
(edited 12 years ago)
"No playing card games in the Sixth Form Common Room" this year
(edited 12 years ago)
Blocking Hotmail despite the fact a lot of us use it to communicate with teachers.

AND blocking Yahoo! Answers. Why oh why?! That could have made school projects about five hours shorter. :facepalm:
Original post by KJane
My school introduced a policy where teachers weren't allowed to be 'friends' with people on facebook. We used to have a sixth form helper/admin woman who was the nicest person going, like if you asked for directions she'd have gone away, printed you a map and written down the exact steps for you, that sort of thing. She was facebook friends with almost everyone in sixth form and several years worth of sixth form students who had left as well. It was a good way to communicate on mass.

Then someone made a fake profile of our headteacher on facebook and friended as many students at our school as possible, they put out things like "There's no school like the old school and I'm the ****ing headmaster!" But the real headmaster got the police involved, investigated all teachers who were friends with students to find the culprit and warned legal action against students who were friends with the fake headteacher. So this helper got a lot of stick for it considering how many students she had on her list, they also accused her of hacking into the school website and defacing it. She got angry and quit.

After that we were banned from friending our teachers, so we had to wait until our last A2 exam before we could add them so we can stay in touch. School can't do anything then.

thats pretty harsh
Reply 92
Original post by The Polar Dude
you're not allowed to slit your eyebrows

To be fair they're stopping you from looking like a moron.
The last school I went to wasn't too bad, but the school before that was awful...most of the rules you've already mentioned applied but here are a few other hilarious ones:
Physical contact-they would actually send prefects around with rulers to make sure everyone was 30cm apart from each other!
Litter-the head teacher bought binoculars so that the teachers could watch for people dropping litter. If they got caught they got two weeks of detentions.
Swearing-you would get a Sunday detention for swearing
Pencilcases-every so often a senior member of staff would come around lessons and made sure that everyone had the required equipment in their pencilcase! If they were caught without even a gluestick, they would get a warning, and if caught 3 times a detention. What?!?!?
It was a pathetic school and I got out of there as soon as I could!!!
Reply 94
My school was strict on appearance:

Only black bobbles

Only pony tails, not two plaits

No makeup

Only the school scarf was allowed (it was stripy purple and yellow :/ )

The socks had to be pulled right up

But the worst was that blazers had to be worn at all times. At home time they wouldn't let you out the gate until you put it on.
Original post by vander Beth
Other stupid policies I am remembering:

Letting teachers keep students for a couple of minutes after class as a punishment, but we only had a 5 minute passing period between classes. It was, in effect, just a way to encourage tardiness (which had much more sever punishments than talking or whatever, especially since 3 tardies=1 absence, which could lead to truancy charges.) Just makes me rage thinking about it.

Zero-tolerance on hats and scarves indoors, even that time when the heater broke in winter.

You could only buy a parking pass in the first week of school. I guess if you get a car in the middle of the year or just moved here, you're SOL.

They made it so that you no longer could leave early or come later when you didn't have classes all day. You had to be in the building for 8 hours.

This one is just stupid because of the utter lack of foresight of the administration. Our middle period was longer to accommodate lunch, which had to be broken up in to three parts because how large the school was. You either went to lunch at the beginning of the period and then to class, went to class and then lunch at the end of the period, or you had half a class, lunch, then came back to class. Besides being inconvenient, how many people with the middle lunch do you think went back to class? :innocent:

:rofl: x3

that is probably one of the stupidest policy i've heard in this thread
Original post by Rachael_
My school was strict on appearance:

Only black bobbles

Only pony tails, not two plaits

No makeup

Only the school scarf was allowed (it was stripy purple and yellow :/ )

The socks had to be pulled right up

But the worst was that blazers had to be worn at all times. At home time they wouldn't let you out the gate until you put it on.

How will having 2 plaits affect your education or health and safety, wtf?!
Original post by Einheri
To be fair they're stopping you from looking like a moron.

haha i agree but how will that affect our education? thats what stupid about it.
Reply 98
My college had the skin head policy, However it was removed when they suspended someone who had what appeared to be a clean shaven head. He however had been in the latter end of chemotherapy for cancer, to which he lost his hair/had the rest removed, which him and his family decided to keep out of knowledge of the school and students as it wasn't going to be affecting his attendance.

I was surprised it wasn't on the news.
Reply 99
When i was in year 12 we werent allowed to go out in our free time because the previous year 12's didnt bother coming back to their lessons so they punished us. In july they let us out 5 hours a week and we had to stay in school, the ret of the time i hated it...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending