Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Me2)
    i'm feeling as though i should be giving up on law; i'll never make it!!!
    Does anyone have any statistics on how many people apply to do law at university all over the country and how many law jobs there are per year?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jammyd)
    Yes, but they don't recruit solely and exclusively from Oxbridge. David Shayler is a graduate of Dundee University, although perhaps he isn't the best example.
    The point I was trying to make is that prestige counts for too much

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blamps)
    for MI5 & MI6, it is sadly a well known fact that they go headhunting specifically round Oxford and Cambridge
    They were head hunting round Bath university the other week. My dad is a director of studies there and had lunch with some MI6 people

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by happysunshine)
    sorry I meant than History, Politics and Geography. It's my awful typing
    No worries.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cate)
    They were head hunting round Bath university the other week. My dad is a director of studies there and had lunch with some MI6 people
    what do they look for, in people?

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have any statistics on how many people apply to do law at university all over the country and how many law jobs there are per year?
    Well consider this - there are approx 20 ppl/place at Notts, Warwick, UCL, Bristol and other prestigious unis applying for Law ....there could be 40 graduates/place applying for a job in the city or even many more

ReputationRep:
    Well consider this - there are approx 20 ppl/place at Notts, Warwick, UCL, Bristol and other prestigious unis applying for Law ....there could be 40 graduates/place applying for a job in the city or even many more
    :eek: :eek: :eek: That is very hard then. I suppose those who go to Huddlesfield have no chance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Me2)
    what do they look for, in people?
    I'm not sure, my dad said something or other about something or other they were looking for, but I can't remember what it was, sorry!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cate)
    I'm not sure, my dad said something or other about something or other they were looking for, but I can't remember what it was, sorry!
    s'ok

ReputationRep:
    The point I was trying to make is that prestige counts for too much
    True, have you seen the Mi5 recruitment page though?

http://www.mi5careers.info/

ReputationRep:
    :eek: :eek: :eek: That is very hard then. I suppose those who go to Huddlesfield have no chance.
    and I am applying to some of those Unis for Law

ReputationRep:
    and I have applied to some of those Unis for Law

ReputationRep:
    i want to apply to oxford, bristol, nottingham, durham, warwick, and queens (belfast) !!! i'll never get in!

ReputationRep:
    So is it easier to get into Oxbridge than say Nottingham, providing you have the grades?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jammyd)
    True, have you seen the Mi5 recruitment page though?

http://www.mi5careers.info/
    I would expect them to write that sort, I still wouldn't believe it through and through - it is the same with a lot of other jobs

ReputationRep:
    So is it easier to get into Oxbridge than say Nottingham, providing you have the grades?
    Of course not. Nottingham has all of the Oxbridge rejects applying too, whereas you can only apply for Oxford or Cambridge.

ReputationRep:
    I would expect them to write that sort, I still wouldn't believe it through and through - it is the same with a lot of other jobs
    Yeah, the bit about school ties is a bit of a giveaway!

ReputationRep:
    I applied to Oxford and didn't get it - statisically yes but, in practice I would say no - everybody applying has an immaculate record and the interview and test (which was a pain) distinguish it - although I have go to do a test at notts in half term

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Me2)
    i want to apply to oxford, bristol, nottingham, durham, warwick, and queens (belfast) !!! i'll never get in!
    Have faith!

ReputationRep:
    yeah well if i don't make it, i'll take a gap year and re-apply.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 26, 2004
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.