Why is A Level Chemistry "So Hard"?

Watch this thread
bogstandardname
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
In all the polls it is consistently the hardest rated science and people say it is hard to get an A, but why is this?

Chemistry seems to be the most logical of the sciences, why is it so hard?

Even independent places like The guardian and BBC also suggest chemistry is the hardest.

Why is this?
Talkin and Orcyn
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 10 years ago
Because it's a lot of learning, it's complex topics and concepts and will generally challenge you more. Obviously, individually you might find it easier than another science. Personally, I found that it was the hardest & easiest because I worked at it so much and it became very satisfying. But on the face of it it was more difficult than the other sciences.

Then again, it could just be everyone agreeing with everyone else and not wanting to look silly and say Biology.
LettersFromTheSky
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
I think chemistry is easier than biology. I've done them both up to A level, I did a bit of physics as too which I found ghastly.
memomemootoo
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
get a CGP guide and memorise the contents, guaranteed A* ... that's all there is to it, honestly))
...obviously a good brain helps too :sexface:
Romisa_lovesA7X
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by memomemootoo)
get a CGP guide and memorise the contents, guaranteed A* ... that's all there is to it, honestly))
...obviously a good brain helps too :sexface:
Yeah CGP guides are the best!
But it's wise to use it alongside the textbook issued by your exam board
username387126
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
Because i have no interest in it
User544981
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
chemistry is nowhere near as hard as biology
is anyone from the BBC studying chemistry and biology at A level this year ... didnt think so

chemistry is a subject where you have to sort of get it but if you do understand then it should be okay
whereas biology you have to learn all sorts of stuff in class but none of it comes up on the exam eg aqa bio5 this year

with chemistry you know about half of what is going to come up in the exam anyway

definately the hardest science subject is biology
Casshern1456
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
I know a lot of people will have an opinion as to which science is the hardest of the 3 but most people I came across doing the sciences say Chemistry is the hardest or physics is, but in terms of grades per pupil Chemistry for my school was the lowest proportion of highest grades compared to physics or Biology. Funny enough 60% of people get A's in Maths:rolleyes:

I do Chem at A-level and I enjoy it.
boromir9111
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
It isn't.
grth
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
Titration calculations. I say no more
Nymthae
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
Because generally it's a little more about understanding and application, from my experience. If you know roughly what's going on then you can walk into the exam and answer a broad range of questions fairly easily. A lot of people are used to rote-learning a series of things. I don't know if it's just the use of different molecules etc. that throws people off from that or what but they seem to struggle when something appears slightly differently on an exam paper compared with the textbook they just tried to absorb.

Edit: Someone above mentioned titration calculations. Seems like a lot of people in my classes weren't at ease with the majority of calculations, and that costs a good few marks on the way.

I found Biology largely more difficult at A2 because there is so much emphasis on key words and specific phrases. It's a lot of memorising. Technically, by that, it's probably "easier" to get a good grade in Biology if you just invested the time and the effort, but it's a hell of a lot of time and effort.
w04andia
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
I'd say Biology, in terms of volume of work, is a heavier workload, but in terms of content, chemistry is technically harder IMHO.
nessa17licaria
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
i disagree. although chemistry is a hard a level, i certainly don't find it the hardest... because you know which topics are going to come up in exams so if you've done revision, you have nothing to worry about, you know you'll pass. whereas when it comes to biology and physics, there's so many application questions and 'how science works' questions, meaning you won't necessarily get an A in physics and biology if you just learnt everything.. biol and physics exams really made me think!! lol.. plus, physics and biology papers are so unpredictable (IMO anyway)
aliasunknown
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
I think a lot of it is because you learn that a lot of what you did at GCSE is wrong and you have to relearn stuff which is difficult. Overall i dont think its overly difficult.
i think it depends a lot on what you spec you did for GCSE, when everyone did double science chemistry A level was very hard as you had never encountered moles etc and had to get your head around some tough calculations. That said i didnt do biology or physics A level so i cant really comment on whether its the thoughest science.
Roobz
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
So far chemistry is the easiest subject for me at A'Level... hehe thanks to O'Level i did most of the AS stuff at yr 9 :O
anil10100
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
I do Biology, Chemistry, and Physics. And in my opinion:

Physics is the hardest conceptually because you cannot actually visualize things, and a lot of it seems illogical and counter-intuitive.
Biology has the most content, and requires you to memorize a lot of information, but the concepts are easier to understand.
Chemistry is logical, and the workload is average, but the test papers are in my opinion by far the hardest, making it hardest to get an A in.
Scarface-Don
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
Just finished my A Levels and I enjoyed Chemistry tremendously. I didnt find it really hard because the concepts are logical, however those things that did not make sense at first sight, would require some brain-melting revision. I found Biology harder by miles due to the How Science Works.
mmmegan_x
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
Because the grade boundaries for Chemistry are usually always higher than the other sciences.
Chief Wiggum
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
I didn't find it too hard really. You do need to put in work, but it is quite logical.
dinat
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by bogstandardname)
In all the polls it is consistently the hardest rated science and people say it is hard to get an A, but why is this?

Chemistry seems to be the most logical of the sciences
that is so true i always say it
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (56)
26.67%
As I expected (67)
31.9%
Harder (79)
37.62%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (8)
3.81%

Watched Threads