The Student Room Group

Physiotherapy

i was thinking about doing physio but there are soo many uni's with higher/lower grades and im totally confused by which are the better ones??
Also see in your personal statement what way would you wriite it so that the uni's dont think you want to do only sports physio cause thats not what i want to do at all...please help
Original post by Rowinglegend
i was thinking about doing physio but there are soo many uni's with higher/lower grades and im totally confused by which are the better ones??
Also see in your personal statement what way would you wriite it so that the uni's dont think you want to do only sports physio cause thats not what i want to do at all...please help

well obvs the better unis are those with higher requirements e.g Kings, notts...

In your personal statement you need to consider the different types of physiotherapy e.g. outpatients, ICU, care of elderly, paediatrics....
try and get some work experience. Talk to physios...
Reply 2
I'd ignore the above and look more at what you want to get out of the uni. Do you want to have to do placements over your summer holidays? Do you want a city campus? Do you want a dissection room? Do you want problem based learning? In all honesty, there isn't such a thing as a best uni for physio. You come out at the end with a degree that lets you register with the HPC as a physio, and as such, all degrees are equal.

With regards to the person statement, do pay attention to the above and reflect on all areas of physio, how you think the profession is changing, what skills you think are needed, how you can contribute to the uni etc etc. Work experience is pretty much definitely a necessity to show you have researched the degree, but as it is hard to come by, you will be fine with just a day or two of observation.
Reply 3
Hi was just wondering if it would be a good idea to do any part time courses to help towards an application at university for a Physiotherapy course, and if so which ones? ive seen a few like sports massage therpay Btec to run along side my A levels but i dont know if this would be relevent to the course in any way or have any benefit towards the course , and help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Original post by Ironmike
I'd ignore the above and look more at what you want to get out of the uni. Do you want to have to do placements over your summer holidays? Do you want a city campus? Do you want a dissection room? Do you want problem based learning? In all honesty, there isn't such a thing as a best uni for physio. You come out at the end with a degree that lets you register with the HPC as a physio, and as such, all degrees are equal.

With regards to the person statement, do pay attention to the above and reflect on all areas of physio, how you think the profession is changing, what skills you think are needed, how you can contribute to the uni etc etc. Work experience is pretty much definitely a necessity to show you have researched the degree, but as it is hard to come by, you will be fine with just a day or two of observation.

I'd agree with this, all degrees have to pass Chartered Society of Physiotherapy accreditation anyway so in effect they are all equal, so you need to choose an university where you'd feel comfortable and where you feel you'd get the best out of your university life.
Reply 5
Hi! i'm going to study physiotherapy at the Leicester campus for Coventry University and I wondered if anyone was also doing the same? If so, could you tell me what books you refer to for lectures etc? As I would like to have had a little look before the course begins, and I don't want to buy the wrong ones!

Any info at all would be much appreciated!!
Original post by eclark38
Hi! i'm going to study physiotherapy at the Leicester campus for Coventry University and I wondered if anyone was also doing the same? If so, could you tell me what books you refer to for lectures etc? As I would like to have had a little look before the course begins, and I don't want to buy the wrong ones!

Each university has different lists of suggested texts, have a quick look on the department website for Coventry or get in touch with the university to ask them what books they recommend? When I started last year I found a list from the university well before I started.
Reply 7
Original post by eclark38

I am at leicester uni in second year physio. You'll be given a list when you start for each module, its reccommended having a look through the books on the list to see which one works for you, but if you want to be prepared Grays Anatomy for students is what i would recommend, but i would wait until you start, you'll have plenty of time to get the books.

Quick Reply

Latest