The Student Room Group

Imperial College - No clearing, No Adjustment

http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/clearing

Why are they doing this? I can imagine them not having any Clearing places, but why arent they doing Adjustment ?
No surprise.
Reply 2
These type of unis don't go in Clearing and if they even do they'll only have few courses available :cool:

So, I might reapply rather then settling for a not so good uni
Reply 3
Original post by ABaruwal
These type of unis don't go in Clearing and if they even do they'll only have few courses available :cool:

So, I might reapply rather then settling for a not so good uni

I can understand no clearing but no adjustment? Surely theyd want ppl who got good grades?
Reply 4
Top unis don't like to use adjustment, don't know why. Being a richer uni they invest more into admissions and hence more likely to be close to their target. They prefer to give applicants who had missed their Imperial offers spaces for other courses which they underrecruited as they already know them properly and the courses are similar. Thats my feeling, it might be wrong.
Reply 5
Original post by freedomhunter
I can understand no clearing but no adjustment? Surely theyd want ppl who got good grades?

They chose people with good grades the first time round
Reply 6
They'll probably be trying to snap up as many non-EU students as possible, because those are the ones that bring in the pennies.
They're very oversubscribed, so they definitely won't need more applicants in August.
Reply 8
Original post by freedomhunter

They want people who were definitely going to get exceptional grades from the start. Also it's better from their point of view to get lots of applicants to start off with and then have time to select the best ones rather than having to make quick decisions on applicants they don't really know about.
Reply 9
I'm really not surprised.
And I wouldn't be surprised if I ever found out that all top 10 unis are like this. Competition is so intense.
Top universities, well actually all universities give out more offers than places. LSE gives out 2.5 for every place, and the government sets limits on how many students they can take on with substantial fines if they go over quota...

What I don't understand is why anyone would think these universities would offer any clearing places.

As for adjustment, its just tough luck I guess.
Remember that the places a university can offer are limited by government quotas. If they have filled their places, it doesn't matter if you're applying through clearing or adjustment, they won't be able to take you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending